Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Display Case > Memorabilia Collecting

Old 04-10-2018, 05:29 AM

Mar-l-Aoutat's Flag is: Canada Québec
Default Re: Statues & Figures Thread - Any & All Game Related

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD-WAYNE View Post
Cancellation notice from Playstation Gear store regarding Bloodborne Statue from Prime 1 WTF??? Looks like a lot of stuff has been removed from the store.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah got that as well...it sucks, now I am just trying to find a retailer in Canada who has it at a fair price. Not buying this from Sideshow...don't want to pay 1500 CAD for this.

Also, the next Assassin's Creed figure by Damtoys was revealed, Aguilar (for those who don't know they also showed Altair), still hoping for Ezio or Bayek...

I was not really looking for this - did not like the movie too much - but it looks dope on that base...
No price announced yet.

https://www.facebook.com/damtoys/posts/1272208766245400

Old 04-18-2018, 03:19 AM

Mar-l-Aoutat's Flag is: Canada Québec

And Altair

https://www.facebook.com/damtoys/posts/1277089585757318

Old 04-18-2018, 03:40 AM

garybarth's Flag is: United States

Hey Guys,

I've received a couple revision samples from the Factory, and with the exception of a few tiny paint changes (his brown nipple, the axe handle should be a little more orange brown and the forearm scars need to be a little more subtle). But overall, I'm really happy with it.

Thanks,
Gary

Last edited by garybarth; 04-18-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:55 AM
Staff Member

GameTrigger's Flag is: Estonia Tallinn, Estonia

garybarth, thank you for sharing pics
Boy eyes should be blue...
Old 04-18-2018, 08:28 AM

I believe they are blue (it's hard to tell with the lighting in these pics). I'll confirm in the morning.

Thanks,
G
Old 04-18-2018, 12:42 PM

Barran's Flag is: Germany

Finally some pics from the new GoW Statue, sweet, thank you Gary, was lookin everywhere but couldnt find anything except one pic from the PSX 2017

the base with the troll head looks good, there is also snow on the base, i didnt know that, i like that. The body from Kratos and Atreus incl. armor and weapon also looks good as far as is see. i agree with the paint change you mentioned.

But im disappointed with the faces from Kratos and especially Atreus. I dont like the Facial expressions, looks like they lost alot of details on the revision sample. For example, the way Kratos looks on the revision sample... he looks a little bit like he is scared of something while on the prototype pic he has a strict look. also the eye browns looks better on the proto type, they are longer and thicker

The beard of Kratos looks more detailed on the prototype images compared to the revision sample, this is probably because the color was too thick and so the details disappeared, I often see that problem on statues.

The face from Atreus looks totally different when you compare the prototype pics vs the revision sample pics, especially around his eyes. it looks like they just painted it with one skin color will the prototype has differend skin color types, especially around his eyes (darker skin around his eyes, i think kratos has the same problem but not that bad compared to Atreus). i could be wrong because of the light conditions, but it looks like that Atreus face lost alot of details in his face with that paintjob.

i know that the prototype pics where taken under perfect lighting conditions while your pictures were taken under normal light conditions, that's why I cannot judge 100% (also the camera angel isnt 100% the same), but I am afraid that the final product doesnt looks what the prototype is looking like, especially the faces.

Prototype vs Revision Sample:

perhaps you could give us some more pics with some close up, maybe the light and camera angel just wasnt that good.

Last edited by Barran; 04-18-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:33 PM

Wow, that's quite a forensic analysis. Okay, here's my thoughts:

1) You can't expect the production unit's paint job to match the prototype perfectly. I'm sorry but that is just not realistic. One is painted over the course of 10 days by a master painter in the U.S. for $1000-1500, while the consumer version is painted by multiple assembly line painters in China over the course of a couple days. I can tell you that this statue looks amazing in person.

2) We reduced the amount of deep surface detail in Kratos' beard to make the molding process easier because the "worms" of hair (as we called them) worked well for the full 1:1 scale statue I made for the PSX tradeshow, but the factory had concerns about molding/casting them. That change was approved by the studio.

3) This statue was originally created using an older version of the Kratos model that had super thick eyebrows. Once we printed and painted the prototype, the eyebrows no longer matched the model that was in the game and we "took down" the eyebrows so they didn't look like two caterpillars sleeping on his forehead. That, combined with the lack of dramatic lighting, and the lower angles from the original pics may be causing what you think is the change in expression, but I can assure you that we didn't change it.

4) The same goes for Atreus. He was molded off the same tooling masters so his face was not augmented at all. With regard to the paint, as I mentioned, we are still making paint adjustments to parts of the statue. I'll see about adding more apps to his skin (he has kind of a cold, pastey skin tone in the game).

I am very happy with the quality of this statue. The amount of paint detail is amazing and the pictures don't do it justice, but I also know that I won't be able to please everyone. If you have concerns, you should hold off until the unboxing videos hit and make your decision then.

Thanks,
Gary

Last edited by garybarth; 04-18-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:31 PM

Barran's Flag is: Germany

Thank you Gary for your detailed answer and for the fact that you respond to the points I have addressed, that explained some aspects. to give you a "forensic analysis", I must, of course, wait for the finished version, everything else would be nonsense, the points I mentioned should only be well-intentioned criticism which serves that the statue may be improved in some places.

Quote:
Wow, that's quite a forensic analysis
yes that's because I'm german, that's what we germans are known for, german precision xD

Quote:
1) You can't expect the production unit's paint job to match the prototype perfectly. I'm sorry but that is just not realistic. One is painted over the course of 10 days by a master painter in the U.S. for $1000-1500, while the consumer version is painted by multiple assembly line painters in China over the course of a couple days. I can tell you that this statue looks amazing in person.
At this point, I can only partially agree with you. I have statues in my collection, which definitely can match with the Paintjob from Prototypes... unfortunately very few, but it is possible. There are aspects that of course have to be considered such as production size and of course the costs. but like i said above, i need to see the final product in person to make a final verdict.

Quote:
2) We reduced the amount of deep surface detail in Kratos' beard to make the molding process easier because the "worms" of hair (as we called them) worked well for the full 1:1 scale statue I made for the PSX tradeshow, but the factory had concerns about molding/casting them. That change was approved by the studio.
Ah ok, thats explains why the beard doesnt looks so detailed. do you know what excatly was the concern from the factory? does the factory had the fear that something can break off the beard, these so-called worms?

Quote:
3) This statue was originally created using an older version of the Kratos model that had super thick eyebrows. Once we printed and painted the prototype, the eyebrows no longer matched the model that was in the game and we "took down" the eyebrows so they didn't look like two caterpillars sleeping on his forehead. That, combined with the lack of dramatic lighting, and the lower angles from the original pics may be causing what you think is the change in expression, but I can assure you that we didn't change it.
You're right, I've just looked at a few pictures of Kratos, the eyebrows are actually thinner, I have not noticed that so far, that explains that of course. The dramatic lighting and the lower angles you mentioned also play an important role, so the photos you provided actually look like the facial expression has changed, but I believe you when you are saying that nothing has changed.
"two caterpillars sleeping on his forehead" hehe i like that one. xD

Quote:
4) The same goes for Atreus. He was molded off the same tooling masters so his face was not augmented at all. With regard to the paint, as I mentioned, we are still making paint adjustments to parts of the statue. I'll see about adding more apps to his skin (he has kind of a cold, pastey skin tone in the game).
its nice to hear that you and your team lookin forward for some paint adjustments and adding some more apps to his skin, he still worries me most, cant wait to see the final Atreus.

so thanks again for your answer, I hope you have not taken up my criticism wrong, I do not want to talk the statue bad, I cannot really judge on the basis of 2 pictures, but I am happy if the things I have mentioned may help to improve the statue, im still lookin forward to get the statue for my collection, i already pre ordered it.... btw. do you know when the statue will be released, is there an estimate date?

i

Last edited by Barran; 04-18-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:07 PM

flatout's Flag is: United States Maine, US

Sorry I have to ask... there seems to be a logic mistake here. If the beard was going to be an issue why wasn't the very similar "wormy" coat of Atreus's changed as well then? Seems to not makes sense to be worried about one so much you change it but not worry about the other (which is the same "wormy" type section... and much more of it to boot).

Gary I just think to justify that price for a statues of this size... you need the details you were promising with the prototype (or very close to that... honestly if reaching near prototype levels is not realistic you should never release the prototype images to the public). I am predicting some unhappy pre-order buyers just from those changes.

Also Barran is right about the eyebrow change... his expression looks soft now instead of somewhat fierce and steadfast expression like the original did and it seems to be the new shape of the eyebrows that does this (also the beard change changed how much of his lower mouth shows too... maybe intentional but that might also be part of what is changing his expression). I also agree that Atreus's face took a major detail downgrade in some way (paint, detail, not really sure but it is a pretty big fall based on the comparison). The prototype looks very close to a real little boy's face but in mini statue form... the revision looks more like a bland doll (looks zombie like... like his pupils are too bland/dull). EDIT: Went and saw some images of him, he is kind of that way and his bright/light eyes don't help... I think the only way to fix this would be to add shading to darken around his eyes a bit.

Sorry Gary... just being honest as I feel that is always best in these situations (but I am SUPER fussy about statues so not all will agree I am sure... I am sure a lot of people wont mind, but the really serious detail based collectors will not like these changes).

Now with all that said... I like everything else about it. The detail on the armor and weapons looks really amazing, same goes for the base. Just those glaring face issues with that revision sample in my eye.

Last edited by flatout; 04-18-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:12 PM

flatout's Flag is: United States Maine, US

After looking more Gary... it is the boy's eyes that are mostly to blame (and as you said some more detail apps on his face would help... may I suggest adding a bit of shading around the eyes/eye sockets). They are too bright and make him look zombie like do to his pasty skin type and his super bright blue eyes.

As for Kratos's expression... I figured out the issue. When you changed the eyebrows you accidentally made them straighter instead of slightly raised looking like the originals were. This makes for a much flatter look/expression on his face (instead of a bit raised making him have a bit of a fierce/steadfast look).

Last edited by flatout; 04-18-2018 at 11:00 PM.