Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Display Case > Memorabilia Collecting

Old 04-19-2018, 12:17 AM

garybarth's Flag is: United States
Default Re: Statues & Figures Thread - Any & All Game Related

See responses below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barran View Post
Thank you Gary for your detailed answer and for the fact that you respond to the points I have addressed, that explained some aspects. to give you a "forensic analysis", I must, of course, wait for the finished version, everything else would be nonsense, the points I mentioned should only be well-intentioned criticism which serves that the statue may be improved in some places.

yes that's because I'm german, that's what we germans are known for, german precision xD

<Lol! Fair enough! I'm half German, so I get what you're saying.>

At this point, I can only partially agree with you. I have statues in my collection, which definitely can match with the Paintjob from Prototypes... unfortunately very few, but it is possible. There are aspects that of course have to be considered such as production size and of course the costs. but like i said above, i need to see the final product in person to make a final verdict.

<<Understood. I wish that we could hit 100%, and I'm sure that does happen sometimes...but in my experience, that's usually with hard surface statues like iron man, etc. There's a subtlety to face painting on 1:6 scale statues, and I will try to push them toward making improvements based on your (and Flatout's) feedback.>>

Ah ok, thats explains why the beard doesnt looks so detailed. do you know what excatly was the concern from the factory? does the factory had the fear that something can break off the beard, these so-called worms?

<<It was a molding/casting issue. The worms were breaking off.>>

You're right, I've just looked at a few pictures of Kratos, the eyebrows are actually thinner, I have not noticed that so far, that explains that of course. The dramatic lighting and the lower angles you mentioned also play an important role, so the photos you provided actually look like the facial expression has changed, but I believe you when you are saying that nothing has changed.
"two caterpillars sleeping on his forehead" hehe i like that one. xD

<<Thanks. Yeah, that was an adjustment that was made after the PSX version. ;-)>>

its nice to hear that you and your team lookin forward for some paint adjustments and adding some more apps to his skin, he still worries me most, cant wait to see the final Atreus.

Understood. We're always striving for improvements. For a $350 statue, there is a ton of detail on this diorama. I think you'll be happy with it.

so thanks again for your answer, I hope you have not taken up my criticism wrong, I do not want to talk the statue bad, I cannot really judge on the basis of 2 pictures, but I am happy if the things I have mentioned may help to improve the statue, im still lookin forward to get the statue for my collection, i already pre ordered it.... btw. do you know when the statue will be released, is there an estimate date?

<<Not at all! I appreciate the feedback. If I didn't want criticism, I wouldn't have posted pics. Like I said, we'll do our best to address as much as we can. I know hardcore collectors such as yourself have a more critical eye, and we'll hopefully get the statue to where it needs to be so you can feel comfortable with purchasing it.

Thanks,
Gary>>

i
Old 04-19-2018, 12:37 AM

See responses below

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout View Post
Sorry I have to ask... there seems to be a logic mistake here. If the beard was going to be an issue why wasn't the very similar "wormy" coat of Atreus's changed as well then? Seems to not makes sense to be worried about one so much you change it but not worry about the other (which is the same "wormy" type section... and much more of it to boot).

<<Not sure on that one as I'm not a moldmaker. Maybe it was the direction, or the way it was sculpted. I can only tell you that the it had to be changed>>

Gary I just think to justify that price for a statues of this size... you need the details you were promising with the prototype (or very close to that... honestly if reaching near prototype levels is not realistic you should never release the prototype images to the public). I am predicting some unhappy pre-order buyers just from those changes.

Actually, I think $350 is a very reasonable price for a two character diorama with an ornate base. As with all statue collectibles, there's a reason a "Prototype- subject to change by vendor" disclaimers are put on the bottom of the picture. Sometimes, changes have to be made during development, and at this point, I don't think the changes to the beard detail take away from the overall quality of the statue. I certainly hope that the collectors who pre-ordered don't feel that way. There was no insidious "bait and switch". If that were the case, I wouldn't have posted the picture of the production sample.

Also Barran is right about the eyebrow change... his expression looks soft now instead of somewhat fierce and steadfast expression like the original did and it seems to be the new shape of the eyebrows that does this (also the beard change changed how much of his lower mouth shows too... maybe intentional but that might also be part of what is changing his expression). I also agree that Atreus's face took a major detail downgrade in some way (paint, detail, not really sure but it is a pretty big fall based on the comparison). The prototype looks very close to a real little boy's face but in mini statue form... the revision looks more like a bland doll (looks zombie like... like his pupils are too bland/dull). EDIT: Went and saw some images of him, he is kind of that way and his bright/light eyes don't help... I think the only way to fix this would be to add shading to darken around his eyes a bit.

<<Sorry, but I disagree. you're comparing DSLR pics in a lit environment from a one angle to Iphone pics in a fluorescent top down lit office in another angle. Trust me, Kratos still looks angry. As I said, we're still working on Atreus. Heck, he doesn't even have pupils at the moment.>>

Sorry Gary... just being honest as I feel that is always best in these situations (but I am SUPER fussy about statues so not all will agree I am sure... I am sure a lot of people wont mind, but the really serious detail based collectors will not like these changes).

<<Understood and we'll do our best to address your concerns>>

Now with all that said... I like everything else about it. The detail on the armor and weapons looks really amazing, same goes for the base. Just those glaring face issues with that revision sample in my eye.
<<Whew, I was starting to think you hated the whole thing ;-) >>
Old 04-19-2018, 01:08 AM

flatout's Flag is: United States Maine, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybarth View Post
<<Not sure on that one as I'm not a moldmaker. Maybe it was the direction, or the way it was sculpted. I can only tell you that the it had to be changed>>
Fair enough.

Quote:
Actually, I think $350 is a very reasonable price for a two character diorama with an ornate base.
Did not say it wasn't (please don't read into what I say... take it at face value please). Just said people want the detail they saw to justify it and some may not like the changes (and I think this has great detail... just the couple potential issues i saw and was sharing is all).

Quote:
As with all statue collectibles, there's a reason a "Prototype- subject to change by vendor" disclaimers are put on the bottom of the picture. Sometimes, changes have to be made during development, and at this point, I don't think the changes to the beard detail take away from the overall quality of the statue. I certainly hope that the collectors who pre-ordered don't feel that way. There was no insidious "bait and switch". If that were the case, I wouldn't have posted the picture of the production sample.
I would never infer intentional "bait and switch". I promise that was in no way my intention.

You said this "You can't expect the production unit's paint job to match the prototype perfectly. I'm sorry but that is just not realistic. One is painted over the course of 10 days by a master painter in the U.S. for $1000-1500, while the consumer version is painted by multiple assembly line painters in China over the course of a couple days. I can tell you that this statue looks amazing in person." (and wanted to point out I agree, not so much that it is impossible but more so that it is unrealistic based on the industry and how it works)

That is what I based that part of my reply on. I am sure you agree... if you cannot get this to people then it really shouldn't be the picture you use for the pre-sale of the item (at least that is how I feel). Feels like common sense (also legally slippery too... even with the vague and slightly misleading "Prototype: Final Product May Mary" becasue in effect based on what you are actually saying above what it really should say is "Prototype: Final Product May Not Be As Good"... like how game publishers recently got in tons of trouble for always showing ultra polished unrealistic graphics in trailers or gameplay footage that are far too different from the final product... they have since toned that down a lot becasue it creates false expectations which leads to public backlash and in some cases legal battles)?

Anyways this is WAY off the topic of this particular statue... that issue I was mentioning is more of an industry issue and not this specific statue. Honestly I am sorry for tossing it in there as it wasn't meant to be directed at you.

Quote:
<<Sorry, but I disagree. you're comparing DSLR pics in a lit environment from a one angle to Iphone pics in a fluorescent top down lit office in another angle. Trust me, Kratos still looks angry. As I said, we're still working on Atreus. Heck, he doesn't even have pupils at the moment.>>
Yeah could be entirely the light. Again only sharing my conclusions/opinions based what I can see now. It's obviously up to you whether you see and truth or value to that

As for Arteus... I meant his Iris and not his Pupils.

Quote:
<<Understood and we'll do our best to address your concerns>>

<<Whew, I was starting to think you hated the whole thing ;-) >>
Na don't worry about me... I was only doing this to potentially help you.

Yeah good criticism isn't praise

Last edited by flatout; 04-19-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:53 PM

Mar-l-Aoutat's Flag is: Canada Québec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barran View Post

Light and angle probably have a lot to do with the differences, but to me they are very likely.
Maybe Atreus eyes...the white seems too bright, and the pupil not big enough, but it very hard to tell with those very low res pictures.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar-l-Aoutat View Post
Light and angle probably have a lot to do with the differences, but to me they are very likely.
Maybe Atreus eyes...the white seems too bright, and the pupil not big enough, but it very hard to tell with those very low res pictures.
This was one of the changes we are addressing. We took the blue down slightly (it was too vampire-like especially given his sort of gray skin tone that he has, even in the game...although it alternates from really pale to gray depending on the scene), and he doesn’t have pupils in this iteration (I took the pics quickly as I was leaving the office and only noticed when I got back. That was clearly a goof. I think you’ll be happier once those changes are made.

Thanks,
G
Old 04-24-2018, 03:24 PM

DeathlessOne's Flag is: United States

Is it just me or does Kratos look a bit fat on the prototype one and leaner on the new images? If I were to pick, I'd go with the former since I guess that resembles the one from the game more accurately.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlessOne View Post
Is it just me or does Kratos look a bit fat on the prototype one and leaner on the new images? If I were to pick, I'd go with the former since I guess that resembles the one from the game more accurately.
Lol! Okay, that’s a new one. Nope, I can assure you that the tooling master is the tooling master. No one at the factory sanded any weight off of him. Although, maybe I should offer a “Dad bod” variant? ;-)

G

Last edited by garybarth; 04-24-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:02 PM

flatout's Flag is: United States Maine, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlessOne View Post
Its the angle of the pics and the light off his chest.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:57 PM

DeathlessOne's Flag is: United States

Ahh, alright then. The 10th anniversary kratos statue was my all time favorite. Hope this tops that or at least meets that.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:09 PM
Site Supporter

Mike1888's Flag is: Canada Ottawa

New F4F Okami statue

Prime1 Kat up at Sideshow

Prime1 William (NiOh) up at Sideshow

Reaper Figma