Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Display Case > Gaming Hardware Collecting

Old 11-03-2018, 05:53 AM

Twisted's Flag is: United States United States
Talking Next gen xbox to offer all digital console option?

I've been reading on-line buzz that the next generation Xbox console will be released in 2020 and shown in E3 2019..but here's the kicker..the rumors that i heard swirling meaning reading on established forums..is there will be TWO versions of the console...one of them being "purely digital" with NO optical drive!! ..and being a slimmed down console option as opposed to the one with a disc tray for those who still want physical media ..do you guys find these rumors of 2 kinds of consoles credible? do you think SONY with the PS5 will follow a similar pattern?..and does this mean?..that maybe about 10 years from now. let's say with the PS6 era etc..by 2028 at the latest.all game consoles will become strictly digital with no physical media? but having the ability to purchase download codes on cards from retail stores, so they can get in on the action too!?..the rumors said Sony may not copy the next gen Xbox model but apparently MicroSoft is supposedly hell bent on offering 2 consoles at release..the aforementioned all digital box no CD drives..and a traditional bulkier console with optical drives..please take with grain of salt..i'm just repeating some information allegedly "leaked" on some prominent internet forums.

Last edited by Twisted; 11-03-2018 at 05:54 AM. Reason: edit
Old 11-03-2018, 12:11 PM

Dreamcazman's Flag is: Australia Melbourne, Australia
Default Re: Next gen xbox to offer all digital console option?

Yeah I read a similar thing a while ago regarding two Xbox models or SKU's.

It's not the first time MS has done this, remember the Xbox 360? There was the Arcade & Pro models which was basically one came with a HDD & one without.

I don't think the world is ready for a purely digital Xbox yet, not with the state of broadband in many countries. Coupled that with the size these new games will be (presumably 100+ GB each) and I think physically media distribution will be around for a little while yet.

Then again, without decent internet modern consoles are severely crippled, considering the size of patches these days.

Last edited by Dreamcazman; 11-03-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:49 AM

YES..i also agree i do see a possible 2 SKU future for the upcoming next gen..i do think Microsoft will push hard on us adapting a strictly digital format..i also see at least in North America 5G service has already begun in some major cities with a bigger roll out planned in 2019 across North America..i think when 2020 rolls around..at least in US ...5G will be readily available..so i can see 2 SKUS being offered for the console..a all digital box as stated in the rumor mill alongside a optical disc tray version.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Site Supporter

Spect3r's Flag is: Portugal Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
YES..i also agree i do see a possible 2 SKU future for the upcoming next gen..i do think Microsoft will push hard on us adapting a strictly digital format..i also see at least in North America 5G service has already begun in some major cities with a bigger roll out planned in 2019 across North America..i think when 2020 rolls around..at least in US ...5G will be readily available..so i can see 2 SKUS being offered for the console..a all digital box as stated in the rumor mill alongside a optical disc tray version.
Doesnt mather you have G5 in some cities, a lot of USA still have slow connections and will have them for quite a while.

Regarding the topic, they might go with it but i think it will take quite some years till they completely ditch HDD.

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very unhappy and has widely been seen as a bad move.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:01 AM

defiler's Flag is: United States

Quote:
And 5G is still not ideal for online gaming, regardless of what they will say. Ever try and tehter off your phone to play online? It's horeshit.

I'd rather they go back to not having me needing to download digital shit on my Xbox when I've got a physical copy. You didnt need harddrive on your Xbox 360 if you actually had the game - I'd pay extra to go back to that. Just let me buy the game and play - If I need DLC, then I can have a small HDD to buy extra. They need to stop with the bullshit DLC where it's clearly shit they couldnt get into the game in time and cut it out to release ontime, then sold it as "DLC" later. Release the damn game in whole or don't release it at all.

Steam's already got the digital-only thing down pretty well - no idea why Microsoft would think they could get in on that market.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:48 AM

in the next year or two..it might be the end of me collecting games..according to some more rumored "leaks" when the next generation of Microsoft XBOX systems release..the games are essentially going to be "INSTALL DISCS" and Microsoft will heavily rely on streaming and cloud gaming style formats so games can get a constant stream of proper patches, and drip content style DLC and additional content, to EXPAND the life of the game so Microsoft can make additional revenues..so i guess i will just focus more on Nintendo switch collecting..even though Nintendo is already experimenting with that in JAPAN where, they sell EMPTY switch cases with download codes inside the case..for MANY 1st party games already as an alternative to cart based games for the same price...how do you guys feel about the rumored Microsoft move of games being more akin to PC game like "install discs" .."just so consumers have something to buy in stores" apparently according to the rumors i've been reading on news sites, that was a compromised made by some big retailers..they wanted some kind of "tangible object" on shelves..so instead of games,..we will get digital codes on install discs from Microsoft allegedly..take these rumors with a grain of salt..just passing along what i've read on website newsletters dedicated to gaming.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
in the next year or two..it might be the end of me collecting games..according to some more rumored "leaks" when the next generation of Microsoft XBOX systems release..the games are essentially going to be "INSTALL DISCS" and Microsoft will heavily rely on streaming and cloud gaming style formats
That's what's happening now. Both XB1 & PS4 install the game to the HDD and then any other patches, etc get downloaded from the net. From then on, the disc is only required for ownership verification and the game runs from the HDD.

I don't care for the Switch, but if MS & Sony resort to sticking codes inside empty cases, I'll skip going into stores altogether & stay at home. Atm I still feel like I own a physical product.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:44 AM
Site Supporter

Spect3r's Flag is: Portugal Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcazman View Post
That's what's happening now. Both XB1 & PS4 install the game to the HDD and then any other patches, etc get downloaded from the net. From then on, the disc is only required for ownership verification and the game runs from the HDD.

I don't care for the Switch, but if MS & Sony resort to sticking codes inside empty cases, I'll skip going into stores altogether & stay at home. Atm I still feel like I own a physical product.
The day they stop making physical releases, it's the day i stop buying games

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very unhappy and has widely been seen as a bad move.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spect3r View Post
The day they stop making physical releases, it's the day i stop buying games
I don't know if I'll stop completely, but I definitely won't be buying as many games as I do now, that may be a good thing...

No FOMO means not having to buy on release day.