PDA

View Full Version : Former Member of Videogame Press Introduction, Collection and Question

videogame_rarities
07-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Hello Collectorsedition.org!

Here's my story, a quick introduction to my collection and a question for this community.

I used to be a member of the videogame press for more than 15 years. During that time, I went to E3 every year, met pretty much every big name in the industry and was given a huge amount of press kits, t-shirts and other promotional material. I was never a huge collector, and so I gave away most of my promo games and t-shirts. However, I did appreciate the nicer press boxes, and traded or even bought a few for myself from colleagues of mine. I remember the Ico box with the candle costing me a pretty penny.

I will take pictures of my collection (a large portion of which I am now ready to part ways with), but it consists of nice promotional boxes (the huge GT5 tin box comes to mind) statues (I've got one of the 400 Murder of Crows statues standing on my bookshelf) and some of those Xbox 360 faceplates that people went nuts for a few years ago.

The unique thing about my collection is that many of my games and/or posters are signed by their creators. I have photos to prove their validity, and I think it adds a nice touch.

Just a few days ago, I came to the realization that I wanted to part ways with most of my collection. It's mostly a matter of no longer having the time or the room for this stuff, but also other priorities.

In selling them, I would of course like for my rarities, some of which I've had in my possession for 10+ years, to generate some money. But I also want them to end up with nice people who appreciate their - with the risk of sounding pretentious - cultural value. That's why I was really happy stumbling upon this place earlier today - the community seems truly awesome!

So, I have a question for you! What seems to be the most effective way of selling rarities like signed games and boxes, in your estimation? Perhaps posting to eBay and then letting everyone here know?

Thanks, and I look forward to spending some time here, until my collection - one way or another - has switched owners.

Deathhound
07-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Welcome to the Forums and enjoy your stay as long as you'll be here.

Mh, I'm not sure about a good way, I think other members here can give you better tips about selling.
Though I'd say eBay in my opinion. You can also post a sale thread here and see if some members are interested in your things.

And I'm jealous of your Murder of Crow Bottle :P

ingmar1988
07-14-2013, 07:00 PM
it would be nice to post here what you want to sell. Try sell here most of the stuff and than sell the unsold stuff later on ebay.

Madigan
07-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Welcome and I think ebay is the best place and a faster way to sell everything, no need to bump your thread everyday, put everything up for sale there and then create a thread here with the links.

KnightOfTruth
07-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Well, as has been said, if you post a for sale thread on here you know you will have the "go to a good home and will be appreciated" thing down - while many will love you forever for selling some of these things on here, the only issue you run into is that prices have to be listed so you can't rely on a bidding market to price them (good or bad) for you - but we DO have a thread you can ask what people think things are worth so that might help you not undersell yourself. You also save with ebay fees on here (but still have PayPal fees theoretically).

Whatever doesn't sell around here you could either try lowering your prices or listing on eBay to clear out your inventory.

Hope that helps! And welcome to the community (even if you don't plan on staying awhile).

Oh yeah - you don't happen to have a halo reach briefcase press kit do you? ;)

SwiftDeath
07-14-2013, 07:43 PM
I would suggest posting them on ebay then posting ebay links on a for sale thread here

That way everyone here is aware of them but you can let the market decide the items value if you so choose

Don't suppose you have any Dante's Inferno promotional stuff? :D

videogame_rarities
07-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Sounds like I should start putting stuff online on eBay and then starting a thread here to let you guys know about it. I'll probably need the auction mechanics as I'm not really knowledgeable enough to come up with good prices for everything. I may also use the thread to get some of this stuff appraised before selling.

Thanks again everyone, and I'm sure I'll stick around until fall for sure - there are boxes of stuff to go through and I want to do it right. Now I just need to start an eBay account and get my stats up from the dreaded (0) haha.

videogame_rarities
07-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Swiftdeath: I don't think I have any Dante's Inferno stuff. I might have had a belt buckle if memory serves me right, but I gave that to a friend for his birthday.

Night of Truth: No Halo Reach Briefcase. But I do have some really nice Halo items. I've two framed laser cells (numbered to 500 each), a metal case for Halo 2 signed by key team members and a Halo 2 poster signed by most of the team. I'll put all of that online if you're interested :) I also have an Xbox 360 promotional briefcase (the same type as the Halo Reach one you are referring to).

LowlyAssassin
07-14-2013, 08:26 PM
If you start an eBay account with 0 zero selling feedback then you will only be able to sell things and list things on Swedish eBay
And users in other countries will not be able to bid or see them
That is how eBay works as far as I am aware

Edit
Also if you have any assassins creed items
Its best to let them go to auction and NOT sell them in a private sale as people ALWAYS offer less then they are willing to pay in an auction

videogame_rarities
07-14-2013, 08:32 PM
LowlyAssassin: Yeah, I figured that there would be some restrictions. And if nothing else, people may not feel confident bidding, also totally understandable. I'll probably just list a few regular games or something to get a good rating before I start listing the rarities. Don't worry, you guys won't miss out on anything cool :)

LowlyAssassin
07-14-2013, 08:35 PM
LowlyAssassin: Yeah, I figured that there would be some restrictions. And if nothing else, people may not feel confident bidding, also totally understandable. I'll probably just list a few regular games or something to get a good rating before I start listing the rarities. Don't worry, you guys won't miss out on anything cool :)
As long as your aware of the restrictions
That's all I was trying to achieve

videogame_rarities
07-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks LowlyAssassin, I appreciate it.

By the way, I have a few nice Assassin's Creed items, including a ring which doubles as a bottle opener and a nice belt buckle. Both are solid metal, both are from the original game. Not sure if you already have them - your collection looks pretty impressive :) I'll put these items up for auction eventually in any case!

LowlyAssassin
07-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Thanks LowlyAssassin, I appreciate it.

By the way, I have a few nice Assassin's Creed items, including a ring which doubles as a bottle opener and a nice belt buckle. Both are solid metal, both are from the original game. Not sure if you already have them - your collection looks pretty impressive :) I'll put these items up for auction eventually in any case!
I got the bottle opener/ring from a polish seller
I don't think I have seen the belt buckle that you speak of, but look forward to seeing it

And thanks you for the compliment

LyricalOne
07-15-2013, 06:02 AM
Welcome!

Like most people said, Ebay is a good to go place when you aren't sure of the prices (and don't mind the off chance of selling an item a bit lower than expected)

I look forward to seeing your items for sale bud.

Just wondering, but do you happen to have any Conquer (The Squirrel) items?