PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live Day One Subscription Steelbook

Cosmic_Link
07-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Not sure if this is available elsewhere, but I got the link in an email from GAME for pre-ordering my Xbox One from them. I know I'm a sucka for pre-order an Xbone, but what can ya do? :P

http://img.game.co.uk/ml2/2/6/5/2/265242_gen_a.png

Pre-order link (http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-live-game-exclusive-12-month-day-one-edition-subscription-239819/?cm_mmc=game-_-XboxOne-_-PreordersEmail1-_-banner2)

SwiftDeath
07-18-2013, 08:15 PM
That's both a cool idea and a terrible idea

Not sure I consider it a VG steelbook or not :scratch:

It technically has a code for Killer instinct but I thought that was FTP anyways?

Or is it a code for the full content version of KI?

Cosmic_Link
07-18-2013, 08:17 PM
That's both a cool idea and a terrible idea

Not sure I consider it a VG steelbook or not :scratch:

It technically has a code for Killer instinct but I thought that was FTP anyways?

Or is it a code for the full content version of KI?

Yeah, I kinda like the idea, and though as it is kinda related to video games, I thought people might like to see! XD

I didn't intend to get a live membership with my XB1, was hoping my current live would carry over. This is a nice incentive for me, but is driving the price of the console, games and accessories up all the more... :S

I think it'll be a full DL code, but I wasn't sure, so chose not to comment on it. lol

SwiftDeath
07-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I kinda like the idea, and though as it is kinda related to video games, I thought people might like to see! XD

I didn't intend to get a live membership with my XB1, was hoping my current live would carry over. This is a nice incentive for me, but is driving the price of the console, games and accessories up all the more... :S

I think it'll be a full DL code, but I wasn't sure, so chose not to comment on it. lol

Hmm it's inline with MS other Day One Editions and just echoes their push to get high pre-order numbers at any cost imo

Still can't stand the day one edition achievement

Guess I could always sell the 1 year of live or something unless it'd work on my 360?

Cosmic_Link
07-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Hmm it's inline with MS other Day One Editions and just echoes their push to get high pre-order numbers at any cost imo

Still can't stand the day one edition achievement

Guess I could always sell the 1 year of live or something unless it'd work on my 360?

Yeah, that was what I thought when I first saw the announcement for the day one edition console. MS trying to tug at collector's heart strings. lol Seems to be working on me which is quite annoying! :haha:

As I said, I'm still hoping my current live will carry over. Bought 12 months in April, so will still have about 5 months of live left by the time get XB1. :S

I'm going to assume that live Subs will be active on your account and and won't be locked to specific platforms... hopefully... :beg:

vhal_x
07-18-2013, 08:35 PM
Yeah, that was what I thought when I first saw the announcement for the day one edition console. MS trying to tug at collector's heart strings. lol Seems to be working on me which is quite annoying! :haha:

As I said, I'm still hoping my current live will carry over. Bought 12 months in April, so will still have about 5 months of live left by the time get XB1. :S

I'm going to assume that live Subs will be active on your account and and won't be locked to specific platforms... hopefully... :beg:

I believe subscriptions do carry over. I read something about it a few weeks ago, but can't remember where. But when I read it, I breathed a sigh of relief, that's why I remember :rotf: xx

comaamen86
07-18-2013, 08:45 PM
yeah it does carry over

ms love a good old milk of the cow

SwiftDeath
07-18-2013, 08:50 PM
This really bothers me

I don't want to support MS's Day One shenanigans

Plus I don't know if its a true video game steelbook as it has a download code in it and furthers their desire for digital games which will more than likely kill collectibles like steelbooks at some point

Honestly I think I have to pass on this steelbook

Maybe i'll just give up collecting xbox steels

I really can't stand this

comaamen86
07-18-2013, 08:52 PM
This really bothers me

Plus I don't know if its a true video game steelbook as it has a download code in it and furthers their desire for digital games which will more than likely kill collectibles like steelbooks at some point

ms are not doing it for the fans all this day one shit, they just see a way to make more money

Cosmic_Link
07-18-2013, 08:53 PM
This really bothers me

Oh wow! 0.0

My first thread in the steelbook sub section of the forum and I destroy somebody's want to collect Xbox steelbooks! XD

I'll avoid posting anymore steelbook threads from now onwards!! XD

Anyway, I agree with you on the digital content thing. I already don't support DLC and when games go completely digital, companies will no longer get any money from me and I'll be thousands of pounds better off each year! :P

SwiftDeath
07-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Oh wow! 0.0

My first thread in the steelbook sub section of the forum and I destroy somebody's want to collect Xbox steelbooks! XD

Anyway, I agree with you on the digital content thing. I already don't support DLC and when games go completely digital, companies will no longer get any money from me and I'll be thousands of pounds better off each year! :P

Obviously it's not your fault at all cosmic

Clearly I'm just a dinosaur who complains

Digital is the future at some point, game ownership be damned

Will seriously think about this one

It really does echoe everything I dislike about MS stance this time round

comaamen86
07-18-2013, 09:07 PM
i blame cosmic

Cosmic_Link
07-18-2013, 09:15 PM
i blame cosmic

That's fine... :beee: :poke:

I don't really care what you think!! :P

http://global3.memecdn.com/not-a-single-fuck-was-given_c_159628.jpg

comaamen86
07-18-2013, 09:21 PM
http://t.qkme.me/3v8499.jpg

rasmusvn
07-18-2013, 09:34 PM
@ Cosmic

What's wrong with DLC that's done properly?

I know most isn't, and that's a problem.

Speaking of DLC, I wonder what's happening with the content for Infinite...

-

Also looking forward to the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 year editions. :rotf:

Cosmic_Link
07-18-2013, 09:41 PM
@ Cosmic

What's wrong with DLC that's done properly?

I know most isn't, and that's a problem.

Speaking of DLC, I wonder what's happening with the content for Infinite...

-

Also looking forward to the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 year editions. :rotf:

The only thing that is wrong with DLC is the "D". What happened to the good old days of games coming on a disk complete? What you bought was a finished product.

I just don't like the idea of spending my money on something I don't actually own and can't hold in my hands. The only Add-on content I have is on disks. I never played any of the Skyrim DLC until the legendary Ed came out a few weeks ago for example. Lol

SwiftDeath
07-18-2013, 09:43 PM
The only thing that is wrong with DLC is the "D". What happened to the good old days of games coming on a disk complete? What you bought was a finished product.

I just don't like the idea of spending my money on something I don't actually own and can't hold in my hands. The only Add-on content I have is on disks. I never played any of the Skyrim DLC until the legendary Ed came out a few weeks ago for example. Lol

I agree with this as you all probably know

DLC is another method to increase revenue after the first sale

IMO planned DLC is the same thing as selling me an unfinished product

But that is more acceptable as I can at least play through the story

rasmusvn
07-18-2013, 09:49 PM
I don't have a problem with DLC like the two add-ons for GTA IV, but there are many cases where DLC is wrong in some way.

In terms of owning it physically, it doesn't matter that much to me.

Every time I insert a disc I'm reminded of how noisy the disc drive is. It's a very serious problem for 10-15 seconds :)

SwiftDeath
07-18-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't have a problem with DLC like the two add-ons for GTA IV, but there are many cases where DLC is wrong in some way.

Every time I insert a disc I'm reminded of how noisy the disc drive is. It's a very serious problem for 10-15 seconds :)

:)

It's nice to hear other people's perspectives

Keeps me grounded a bit more

Suppose we all have our own opinions on everything

Cosmic_Link
07-18-2013, 10:00 PM

The issue with not having DLC on a physical disk is, say the Xbox for example, years down the line, DLCs and game updates will stop beig hosted on their servers anymore and access to this content will be impossible for legitimate customers. I use the Xbox as an example as there have been various DLC removed from the XBL server. One I can think of off the top of my head is the DLC for Naruto Rise of a Ninja. The DLC for that game can no longer be downloaded. Even from your purchase history. So if your HDD packed in and you decide to get all nostalgic down the line, you'll still be able to play the original Unpatched version of a game, but DLC is a no go and if the original version is pretty much unplayable without the patch, what can you do then?

This is why I am against DLCs and other digital content which aren't available on disks. Including patches. Atleast with GOTY or complete editions, I will always be able to play the games without the worry of patches and such.

rasmusvn
07-18-2013, 10:01 PM
:)

It's nice to hear other people's perspectives

Keeps me grounded a bit more

Suppose we all have our own opinions on everything

I know I'll thoroughly enjoy the virtual "Day one" T-shirt I will be getting for my avatar. Oh, and my virtual clothes selection is bigger than my physical one.

Well spent MS-points.

-

And sarcasm off :)

-

@ Cosmic

Content being removed like that is certainly troublesome, same goes for servers going offline. That being said I haven't had any problems of that sort.

Hopefully, they'll get better at that in a more digital age.

comaamen86
07-18-2013, 10:03 PM
hmmm dlc i would rather play the long game and wait for goty editions unless it is something i cant wait to pla and a goty looks unlikely

SwiftDeath
07-18-2013, 10:10 PM
The issue with not having DLC on a physical disk is, say the Xbox for example, years down the line, DLCs and game updates will stop beig hosted on their servers anymore and access to this content will be impossible for legitimate customers. I use the Xbox as an example as there have been various DLC removed from the XBL server. One I can think of off the top of my head is the DLC for Naruto Rise of a Ninja. The DLC for that game can no longer be downloaded. Even from your purchase history. So if your HDD packed in and you decide to get all nostalgic down the line, you'll still be able to play the original Unpatched version of a game, but DLC is a no go and if the original version is pretty much unplayable without the patch, what can you do then?

This is why I am against DLCs and other digital content which aren't available on disks. Including patches. Atleast with GOTY or complete editions, I will always be able to play the games without the worry of patches and such.

This is the reason I searched high and low for the version of Borderlands 1 GOTY that came with the DLC on disk

For whatever reason I got Borderlands for Xbox and some GOTY just came with DLC codes :facepalm:

Dreamcazman
07-18-2013, 10:39 PM
EB have this available to preorder for $88, but doesn't mention anything about a steelbook case.

https://www.ebgames.com.au/xbox-one-162961-Xbox-One-Live-12-Month-Gold-Membership-Day-One-Edition-Xbox-One

Knowing the way we get ripped off here in Australia, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a piece of cardboard. :lol:

Lemur
07-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Steelbook holding a dlc code. MS is trying way too hard to get your money. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha :sleep:

web_slinger_62
07-20-2013, 03:46 AM
To be fair, it doesn't cost anymore than the code itself, so we're getting a limited edition steelbook for free

LowlyAssassin
07-20-2013, 06:10 AM

Oh poor cosmic
There was a time when we would buy a game and it would be incomplete, my case is a game called fatal labrynth released in August 21, 1991
If any of you have played this, then you will know the frustration of running around a level killing everything on that level to discover there is no staircase to progress to the ext level
It happens all to often
Yep I'm aware this is a programming error, but a programming error that is due toissong game code and therefore incpmplete

kittychloe
07-20-2013, 09:44 AM
there is a bit of a difference between a bug and an unfinished game, as a lot of the time bugs happen at random, i had one that left me unable to finish the new tombraider without restarting, its different from an incomplete game though

Zaku77
07-24-2013, 01:46 AM
Oh wow! 0.0

I know this is a few pages back, but bear with me...

I, like all of you, am obviously a collector. I get a lot of legitimate enjoyment out of building my collection, getting cool collectibles, etc. Your statement blows my mind, though. If you could no longer buy physical collectibles, you would give up gaming? I think that's losing site of the forest for the trees. Do you enjoy video games, or do you enjoy buying discs? lol

kittychloe
07-24-2013, 01:49 AM
I would probably stop playing new disk free games, start playing older ones as i work backwards, would turn to pc only though for playing new games

vhal_x
07-24-2013, 02:08 AM
I know this is a few pages back, but bear with me...

I, like all of you, am obviously a collector. I get a lot of legitimate enjoyment out of building my collection, getting cool collectibles, etc. Your statement blows my mind, though. If you could no longer buy physical collectibles, you would give up gaming? I think that's losing site of the forest for the trees. Do you enjoy video games, or do you enjoy buying discs? lol

I think he means that he'd turn to the dark side of "not-paying" for his games, if you catch my drift ;) :rotf: xx

KnightOfTruth
07-24-2013, 02:09 AM
Yeah, I think just with my backlog of games I'd be set for a few years - then could always go play any of the classics that I've been collecting for the last 15+ years, pretty sure that'd take me awhile to get through ;)

On the note of the Day-1 achievement since it was mentioned briefly, I remember reading an article where MS explained that "achievements" would not be limited to specific days/times/events etc. but that "awards" (or whatever they called it would be), but then I notice in all of their marketing they are calling this a "Day 1 Achievement" and not a "Day 1 'Award'" (I forget the exact word they used)... its like they didn't want to upset all the 100%'ers out there, but then wanted to try and lure them in and make them (us) feel like we'll miss something forever if we don't get it on day 1...

between those shenanigans and Ubisoft's treatment of us USA'ers with their slap-in-the-face CE's I'm all but ready to write off next-gen gaming anyway.

Luckily there's lot of older things I don't have yet and current gen things still to collect ;)

SwiftDeath
07-24-2013, 02:15 AM
Yeah, I think just with my backlog of games I'd be set for a few years - then could always go play any of the classics that I've been collecting for the last 15+ years, pretty sure that'd take me awhile to get through ;)

On the note of the Day-1 achievement since it was mentioned briefly, I remember reading an article where MS explained that "achievements" would not be limited to specific days/times/events etc. but that "awards" (or whatever they called it would be), but then I notice in all of their marketing they are calling this a "Day 1 Achievement" and not a "Day 1 'Award'" (I forget the exact word they used)... its like they didn't want to upset all the 100%'ers out there, but then wanted to try and lure them in and make them (us) feel like we'll miss something forever if we don't get it on day 1...

between those shenanigans and Ubisoft's treatment of us USA'ers with their slap-in-the-face CE's I'm all but ready to write off next-gen gaming anyway.

Luckily there's lot of older things I don't have yet and current gen things still to collect ;)

Previous Gen for the win :)

I have quite the backlog too

Zaku77
07-24-2013, 02:18 AM
I think he means that he'd turn to the dark side of "not-paying" for his games, if you catch my drift ;) :rotf: xx

That's quite a bit worse, honestly. These dev teams work really hard to make these products, and just because one can't get a physical trinket to go with it, it doesn't mean that they don't deserve to be compensated.

I think the achievement thing has definitely gotten out of hand and has obfuscated (at least partially) what gaming is all about. Between achievements/trophies, DRM, CEs and steelbooks, it gets to be pretty easy to forget what the common thread to all of this is: the games. Achievements can be ignored, physical copies can go away, but what matters in the end is the quality of the experience. New technology brings new possibilities to enhance those experiences. Don't be so quick to write off the next gen due to achievement shenanigans and region specific CEs. I'm sure that most of us played games before DRM and achievements even existed. And I definitely remember when video games got their first few steels last gen. It's been a fun addition to the hobby, but it's not the most important part.

Letrico
07-24-2013, 02:26 AM
I never bothered for achievement even now. I just try to complete the game 100% for my favourites like Tomb Raider and AC. Maybe that's why I have tons of silver trophies and lousy achievement on my xbox and steam :P

KnightOfTruth
07-24-2013, 02:32 AM
I think the achievement thing has definitely gotten out of hand and has obfuscated (at least partially) what gaming is all about. Between achievements/trophies, DRM, CEs and steelbooks, it gets to be pretty easy to forget what the common thread to all of this is: the games. Achievements can be ignored, physical copies can go away, but what matters in the end is the quality of the experience. New technology brings new possibilities to enhance those experiences. Don't be so quick to write off the next gen due to achievement shenanigans and region specific CEs. I'm sure that most of us played games before DRM and achievements even existed. And I definitely remember when video games got their first few steels last gen. It's been a fun addition to the hobby, but it's not the most important part.

Yeah, you do bring up a good point - but back in the SNES, PSX, etc. days we didn't really have an option (or the resources to know that an option may have been available). It was all about the game and how great it was - when people came over they never said "Oh man, you've got THAT edition" it was "Oh man, you've got THAT game!".

So yeah, the game is still the most important part, but if I'm just looking to play a game I don't need to go and spend hardly anything at all and can just go PC and save some dough - obviously the collecting is part of the fun. But you make a good point - its not the most important part. (well, at least IMHO) But like I said, I've got PLENTY of games to play for years to come ;)

Edit: And oh, to stay on topic - I think that steel is sad! :thumb: :)

Clusks
07-24-2013, 01:03 PM
I kind of don't mind the achievement system, but there's a few things that annoy me about it:

- It'd be so much better if they were just a set of things you had to actually achieve. Most games have terrible ones that take next to no time to get. I just played Tekken Tag 2, and within a week I had about 43/50 achievements. Thinks like "open edit mode" aren't achievements. "Get to the highest rank in offline mode" - That is an achievement. I'm playing Blue Dragon at the moment, which has some of the hardest achievements I've seen! I won't get all of them (I've actually missed one item, which is necessary for one, and I can't be bothered to go back and play it through again!), but I'll be having a go at some of them as it proposes a fun challenge for myself!
-Achievements related to stories. Tomb Raider got this right, I don't think (if I remember correctly) there was one achievement related to the story, only one for completing the game. It's a little bit distracting.
- Online achievements. Some of them are fine, I guess, but a lot of them are just mandatory, dull things just to make you play a few games online. I think some of the achievements on SF4 were cool, but mainly because there's a big community that plays that online, and if you get some of them you can honestly say you've achieved something.

Also, gaming comes first before collecting. I like my collection, but it was born as a result of playing games. I'd be sad to see CEs go away, but it will come to that eventually. The games are what I'm interested in, I have a few CEs or games that I've bought that are rare and sealed, but it's only because I haven't had a chance to get around and play them! I intend to play all the games I buy, no matter if they're CE or not.

CanisCanemEdit
07-25-2013, 04:26 AM
I could care less about trophies and achievements. I'm a completionist, but that's isn't my initial concern when it comes to this hobby. Unfortunately, the trophy/achievement system is a big thing for a lot of people who rely heavily on their scores to prove who's got the bigger .

As for the Killer Instinct, I love that series and was floored when it was shown during the conference. I, however, will not be purchasing a pay to play game where I'm given one character and have to buy the rest of the playable characters because corporate seems to think shaking up the scene means paying for your entire roster. No, thanks. Every fighting game I have has a bunch of time logged on across different characters to get a feel of what's been twerked with and if I still want to play the same set of characters. While it's true that you'll end up having 1-3 characters as your main, more than that amount will have been used. I'm not supporting this steelbook, either.

Zaku77
07-25-2013, 04:42 AM
I could care less about trophies and achievements. I'm a completionist, but that's isn't my initial concern when it comes to this hobby. Unfortunately, the trophy/achievement system is a big thing for a lot of people who rely heavily on their scores to prove who's got the bigger .

As for the Killer Instinct, I love that series and was floored when it was shown during the conference. I, however, will not be purchasing a pay to play game where I'm given one character and have to buy the rest of the playable characters because corporate seems to think shaking up the scene means paying for your entire roster. No, thanks. Every fighting game I have has a bunch of time logged on across different characters to get a feel of what's been twerked with and if I still want to play the same set of characters. While it's true that you'll end up having 1-3 characters as your main, more than that amount will have been used. I'm not supporting this steelbook, either.

I'm still curious what the total cost of the game will be. If it's just $60 to unlock all the content, then no harm done, really.

vhal_x
07-25-2013, 10:06 AM
I think from what I've seen/read you get the game + 1 character free, but then you can pay for the full game for the rest of the characters (which will be no more expensive than a normal retail game) and IIRC you can buy characters seperately? So if you only want one extra character, you can just buy that character, instead of the full game xx

comaamen86
07-25-2013, 10:10 AM
I think from what I've seen/read you get the game + 1 character free, but then you can pay for the full game for the rest of the characters (which will be no more expensive than a normal retail game) and IIRC you can buy characters seperately? So if you only want one extra character, you can just buy that character, instead of the full game xx

forza 5 has a similar system, i will laugh very very hard if there are 24 characters at 2 - 3 gbp each

Zaku77
07-25-2013, 10:17 AM
In that case, there's not really a whole lot to complain about. That's actually a very fair pricing scheme. The only problem with that is that because it's not a physical game, one can't wait for a sale and get the whole thing on the cheap. haha

CanisCanemEdit
07-26-2013, 12:52 AM
For me, it's the principle of the matter. As a gamer and even more so as a collector, I'm completely supporting these companies and franchises. In the same token that it's not right to pirate a game that these developers/companies worked hard on, you shouldn't take your community as simpleton cash cows to take advantage of. I just refuse to support Xbone as a gamer regardless of what "promising" incentive that is being dangled in front of me if I know that a company doesn't care about the community that put them on the map to begin with.

Even if it comes out to retail price, I still won't support it. There's plenty of foul to be had. If people want to pay for every character past Jago, then that's their money. I think it's really silly to be paying for your entire roster in a fighting game. This isn't extra skins or minor aesthetic dlc such as certain costume packs; it is fully fleshed out characters. I don't see why they don't include the main KI roster and add extra characters for dlc. If they are saying this is how the fighting community plays their fighting games, it is a bold faced lie meant to cover up shady corporate practices. The representatives for Xbone KI got booed at Evo - a well known fighting tournament held every year. They are definitely taking into account the gaming habits of a group, but it isn't of the community that has been supporting KI as a franchise and fighters as a genre.

If they go back on what they said just like they went back on their entire policy because they are finally taking into account the voices of the community :taunt:, then there is a glimmer that I'll reconsider my position then.

Zaku77
07-26-2013, 01:02 AM
It actually has the potential to be a better deal, though. As long as the full game comes out to $60, then you can just buy the whole thing if you like, or skip characters you may dislike or not want to use. As long as it's $60 in the end either way, then it's only giving consumers more choice, and that is never a bad thing. You also seem to be falling into the trappings of thinking that Microsoft is evil and Sony loves you. They are companies; they exist to make money. Neither of them give two shits about you. Sony decided to take a different approach and capitalize on Microsoft's approach to make more money. It wasn't done out of some love for their community. That is just absolutely ridiculous.

SwiftDeath
07-26-2013, 01:29 AM
It actually has the potential to be a better deal, though. As long as the full game comes out to $60, then you can just buy the whole thing if you like, or skip characters you may dislike or not want to use. As long as it's $60 in the end either way, then it's only giving consumers more choice, and that is never a bad thing. You also seem to be falling into the trappings of thinking that Microsoft is evil and Sony loves you. They are companies; they exist to make money. Neither of them give two shits about you. Sony decided to take a different approach and capitalize on Microsoft's approach to make more money. It wasn't done out of some love for their community. That is just absolutely ridiculous.

Perhaps but Microsoft has shown that the way they intend to make money is fairly anti-consumer (sometimes even anti-developer)

Sony doesn't love me or you nor does MS of course

But the vision each company has shown in how they intend to profit from us has drastically different consumer pros and cons to it

Zaku77
07-26-2013, 01:33 AM
And as soon as we move a little bit more towards a digital landscape, then Sony will be right in line to do the same. Any company would do that if they thought they could get away with it. Sony made some smarter business decisions for the time period we are currently in is all it really comes down to.

SwiftDeath
07-26-2013, 01:37 AM
And as soon as we move a little bit more towards a digital landscape, then Sony will be right in line to do the same. Any company would do that if they thought they could get away with it. Sony made some smarter business decisions for the time period we are currently in ss all it really comes down to.

Precisely and as soon as we go all digital I go PC only

I value consoles because I want a physical copy of the game, licensing be damned

Effort involved in maintaining a PC bothers me less than other gains of it

That all being said MS did decide to try and implment the most restrictive DRM I have ever seen

They really should've just gone either all digital or cd keys

Ended up being the most convulted PR message the world has ever seen for a tech product

Zaku77
07-26-2013, 01:40 AM
It was way too convoluted and explained like crap. It was more restrictive than steam in some ways (limited time for offline play) but it was also more open in some ways. You could actually trade in games (albeit to select retailers) and you could give them away (albeit only once) you could also gameshare with 10 different people--although I'm of the mind that it would have ended up being little more than extended demos. There were plenty of back and forths between it and steam, but due to it being more open in some ways and more closed in others, I really wouldn't call it any more or less restrictive than your standard pc DRM schema.

CanisCanemEdit
07-26-2013, 01:47 AM

It seems that you've fallen into some trappings of your own. Don't be mistaken that I was never aware that these are two corporate entities who make money in the end. I just didn't start playing video games in the last 10 years. Not once in my posts did I ever mention that I said Sony loves me. As a matter of fact, I don't think I even brought up Sony in this entire thread concerning Microsoft. I am fully aware of Sony's business practices and let's not forget the days of Ken Kutaragi and his apparent madness. I am addressing Microsoft and Xbox one, so please don't make any unnecessary assumptions about grouping people in this oh you hate one company, therefore you must love the other because you think that's the only thing fueling a person's ideology if they're unhappy with certain corporate business practices. If Sony messes up for one console iteration, I will address them in their entirety and vice versa with what ever is happening in the current video game industry.

To blanket companies as corporations whose sole and only purpose is to make money because they don't have some love or respect for the community that continually supports them is a stupid notion as well. You're basically telling me that all companies exist to make a buck and no company right now in the industry gives two shits about their fan base is a load of bull and a complete disservice to the men and women in those respective companies who enjoy gaming for what it is. It's not farfetched to believe that someone can enjoy making money and still be passionate at what they do. Not everyone has lost sight of their goals, dreams and pursuits in lieu of the almighty dollar. So, when you go and buy your limitations and import your expensive trinkets, you know for a fact that you're just a cash cow and a quick buck to make from all the companies that you buy from.

Everybody's got the choice to do what they want to do in the end. If you want to choose to pay to play and buy your entire roster, then that's entirely up to you. It's your money. I'm not telling you what to do with your money or making choices for you in regards to your hobby just because I don't necessarily agree with the difference of opinion. In the same regards and for others, it is our money to choose what to do at the end of the day based on our thoughts and principles. I am saying that from my stance, I refuse to support such a thing and not because of some kind of fandom that you're confused that I may or may not have. Everyone is entitled to their choice and opinions, but to try to convince a person to change their opinion or make the choice for them when it's not their choice to make to begin with is a wholly different thing itself.

SwiftDeath
07-26-2013, 01:50 AM
It was way too convoluted and explained like crap. It was more restrictive than steam in some ways (limited time for offline play) but it was also more open in some ways. You could actually trade in games (albeit to select retailers) and you could give them away (albeit only once) you could also gameshare with 10 different people--although I'm of the mind that it would have ended up being little more than extended demos. There were plenty of back and forths between it and steam, but due to it being more open in some ways and more closed in others, I really wouldn't call it any more or less restrictive than your standard pc DRM schema.

24 hour check-in is my major complaint

Even just on a purely principle level that is a terrible restriction

I need MS's daily permission to play my games

Great thanks for that

The game trading was innovative but technically they legally had to allow that if they ever wanted to sell it in Europe

Europe has laws that mandate the trading and selling of software licenses

A case against steam in europe has either gone through or in progress

Don't remember but most people expect steam to add game trading of some sort to align with european laws

And yes family sharing was likely PR spin at the last minute

If it was as good as claimed it would've been on E3 show or mentioned at E3 in detail

I will almost certainly buy an X1 now likely in a year or year and a half when Halo comes out and things with the system have been sussed out

Still dislike the mandatory kinect attachment though as that drives up the cost so much

CanisCanemEdit
07-26-2013, 01:55 AM

Great thanks for that

The game trading was innovative but technically they legally had to allow that if they ever wanted to sell it in Europe

Don't remember but most people expect steam to add game trading of some sort to align with european laws

If it was as good as claimed it would've been on E3 show or mentioned at E3 in detail

I will almost certainly buy an X1 now likely in a year or year and a half when Halo comes out and things with the system have been sussed out

Still dislike the mandatory kinect attachment though as that drives up the cost so much

Thank you. The whole family sharing is something that we've been doing since the beginning and just sounds to me that it's being marketed as some kind of beneficial revolutionary option that didn't exist before.

I'm in the same boat with you. I will buy one in a year or so. For everyone that wants to buy one, more power to you, but I'm not throwing any money in that direction nor am I going to make it some kind of vigilante cause to convince others from doing what they want to do with their money.

Zaku77
07-26-2013, 02:00 AM
It seems that you've fallen into some trappings of your own. Don't be mistaken that I was never aware that these are two corporate entities who make money in the end. I just didn't start playing video games in the last 10 years. Not once in my posts did I ever mention that I said Sony loves me. As a matter of fact, I don't think I even brought up Sony in this entire thread concerning Microsoft. I am fully aware of Sony's business practices and let's not forget the days of Ken Kutaragi and his apparent madness. I am addressing Microsoft and Xbox one, so please don't make any unnecessary assumptions about grouping people in this oh you hate one company, therefore you must love the other because you think that's the only thing fueling a person's ideology if they're unhappy with certain corporate business practices. If Sony messes up for one console iteration, I will address them in their entirety and vice versa with what ever is happening in the current video game industry.

To blanket companies as corporations whose sole and only purpose is to make money because they don't have some love or respect for the community that continually supports them is a stupid notion as well. You're basically telling me that all companies exist to make a buck and no company right now in the industry gives two shits about their fan base is a load of bull and a complete disservice to the men and women in those respective companies who enjoy gaming for what it is. It's not farfetched to believe that someone can enjoy making money and still be passionate at what they do. Not everyone has lost sight of their goals, dreams and pursuits in lieu of the almighty dollar. So, when you go and buy your limitations and import your expensive trinkets, you know for a fact that you're just a cash cow and a quick buck to make from all the companies that you buy from.

Everybody's got the choice to do what they want to do in the end. If you want to choose to pay to play and buy your entire roster, then that's entirely up to you. It's your money. I'm not telling you what to do with your money or making choices for you in regards to your hobby just because I don't necessarily agree with the difference of opinion. In the same regards and for others, it is our money to choose what to do at the end of the day based on our thoughts and principles. I am saying that from my stance, I refuse to support such a thing and not because of some kind of fandom that you're confused that I may or may not have. Everyone is entitled to their choice and opinions, but to try to convince a person to change their opinion or make the choice for them when it's not their choice to make to begin with is a wholly different thing itself.

Yup, I was grouping you in with the sentiment that is running rampant on the internet right now that Microsoft wants to kill your dog and Sony wants to give you fellatio in the backroom. I apologize if you don't actually fit into that, but it is so ubiquitous at the moment that it is easy to lump folks into that category.

And it is in no way wrong to say that companies solely exist to make money. The top execs that actually make the decisions get paid big bucks, and they have share holders to worry about that only care about seeing proper returns. The people that really care about their fan base are not the ones making the decisions. It's also worth noting that just because a CEO comes out and says this or that doesn't mean it's genuine. It's called PR, and it's an integral part of their business strategy. EA has come out and said that they fully support used games, yet their past actions CLEARLY show that they do not. It's all PR drivel and it's just little more than pandering. There are certainly companies here and there (usually small ones) that may, indeed, care about their customers even at the top level, but it is certainly not the norm. Even companies that seem to be really involved with their fans (look at the fighting game branch of Capcom) still make decisions to benefit the company and make money. Ultimate MvC3 says hello.

I'm not trying to tell you what you do with you money at all. It doesn't matter to me even a little bit; why the hell would it? I'm arguing with you based on the merits of your principals. That is what forums are for, after all. It just seems like a cop-out to bring up the "do whatever you want with your money" card. That should really go without saying. We are debating the merits of certain opinions, principles, and lines if thinking, nothing more. To bring it full circle back to Killer Instinct. As long as the entire game can be purchased for $60, then you can just pretend that buying it in piece meal or as a free to play doesn't exist because it won't change your experience. It merely adds more options for someone else. I don't see how any stance of principle can possibly make that a bad thing. Your pricing option of choice (buying the whole thing) isn't hampered and there are now more choices for others. How does that warrant a boy-cot or avoidance on principle? Now, if you want to take the angle of avoiding it because it is digital only and therefore will not see retailer sales like physical games tend to, then that is an entirely different and more legitimate conversation all together.

I'm buying a PS4 at launch and won't get an Xbox until a price cut. This isn't out of some misplaced fandom on my end, either. I just think that many people are too quick to jump on bandwagons or throw out opinions that aren't well thought out or reasonable (not neccesarilly saying you are). And I also have a 'slight' affinity for debate ;) (If this whole being a doctor thing doesn't work out, then I would clearly be cut out for being a lawyer. lol)

Zaku77
07-26-2013, 02:05 AM

Great thanks for that

Agreed, the mandatory check ins thing was absolutely ridiculous. The European case you are speaking of was specifically in Germany, if I'm not mistaken, so we will have to see where that ends up going. It is certainly not a done deal at this point. It's always interesting when laws try to catch up to technology and the internet. The fact that these issues exist shows that they are still lagging behind, and the consumers, companies, and legislators are all pushing on each other trying to find some beneficial new norm.

CanisCanemEdit
07-26-2013, 02:33 AM
And for you to make the decision on what you feel is legitimate for another individual based solely on your opinion is another problem. Okay, you know for a fact that the people who make the proper decisions are exclusively just out to get your money and this holds true for every company out there. You have evidence to substantiate this claim as if you are 100% sure that you know the inner workings of a video game company let alone any company for that matter. Are you a stock holder? Are you the ceo of said companies and are speaking in their behalf as a third party representative on this forum. No, I didn't think so. So to say your thoughts are any more valid over another individual just because you think you're in the know is just plain ridiculous. PR is pr, but you are talking as if you are 100% omniscient sure that you are completely aware of how it works for every company.

So now, you're of the opinion that you can decide what my experience is or isn't based on your opinion. How do you know exactly what is integral to my experience relative to this hobby? Take a look at how ridiculous you're sounding off. While others are merely arguing an opinion, it's become you're modus to decide who is valid or legitimate or what a person can or cannot do. It does change my experience which is why I posted to begin with. As a matter of fact, it's changed a lot of people's opinions in the fighting game community that I have had this discussion with already. But, I guess their opinions have no real merit or validity and their stance to boycott this has no real bearing, either, as it just comes off as some kind of delusional fandom you.

If you want to buy this game for X amount of dollars, suit yourself. I could care less what the hell you're doing. I could care less because an opinion is an opinion.

Yes, people throw out their opinions. You cannot stop an individual from making uninformed thoughts just because they think it all makes sense in their head and they have all the answers for everything. Being able to argue doesn't necessarily mean you're cut out for the profession tied to the action. I know people who read on how to perform tracheostomies, but it doesn't make them any more qualified to be doing it. Everyone argues on the internet. Believe me and I'm sure each and every individual believes they have valid arguments. Believing doesn't necessarily make it so.

I'm done with what I need to say. That's the problem with the internet and especially more so for a forum. Discourse is one thing, but you can never filter out individuals on the internet who feel so strongly in their opinion that it becomes fact and everything not readily within their blinders gets easily dismissed as invalid. You have to love these characters, sometimes, as it would make the internet a less colorful interspace.

Zaku77
07-26-2013, 02:38 AM
And for you to make the decision on what you feel is legitimate for another individual based solely on your opinion is another problem. Okay, you know for a fact that the people who make the proper decisions are exclusively just out to get your money and this holds true for every company out there. You have evidence to substantiate this claim as if you are 100% sure that you know the inner workings of a video game company let alone any company for that matter. Are you a stock holder? Are you the ceo of said companies and are speaking in their behalf as a third party representative on this forum. No, I didn't think so. So to say your thoughts are any more valid over another individual just because you think you're in the know is just plain ridiculous. PR is pr, but you are talking as if you are 100% omniscient sure that you are completely aware of how it works for every company.

So now, you're of the opinion that you can decide what my experience is or isn't based on your opinion. How do you know exactly what is integral to my experience relative to this hobby? Take a look at how ridiculous you're sounding off. While others are merely arguing an opinion, it's become you're modus to decide who is valid or legitimate or what a person can or cannot do. It does change my experience which is why I posted to begin with. As a matter of fact, it's changed a lot of people's opinions in the fighting game community that I have had this discussion with already. But, I guess their opinions have no real merit or validity and their stance to boycott this has no real bearing, either, as it just comes off as some kind of delusional fandom you.

If you want to buy this game for X amount of dollars, suit yourself. I could care less what the hell you're doing. I could care less because an opinion is an opinion.

Yes, people throw out their opinions. You cannot stop an individual from making uninformed thoughts just because they think it all makes sense in their head and they have all the answers for everything. Being able to argue doesn't necessarily mean you're cut out for the profession tied to the action. I know people who read how to perform tracheostomies, but it doesn't make them any more qualified to be doing it.

(And here you are back at the freedom we have to spend money on whatever we want. Did I not make it clear that I am in no way trying to (nor do I have the ability to) take that away from you? The very notion of it is silly.)

I was going to give you another nice, long, well thought out reply (It's almost bothering me not to, in fact). But then I noticed you're someone that uses the term "could care less". Based on English, the language we are currently conversing in, that means you actually care enough that it is possible for you to care less. While I am making more of those dangerous assumptions, I'm just going to go with it this time, and I think I'll save my breath--metaphorically speaking--for a more worthy sparring partner and just leave it at that. ;)

Also, the bit about being a lawyer was a joke to try and defuse the situation and explain that I'm not just singling you out. Thank you for the little lesson that came with the response, though. I suppose watching the food network a few times didn't make me a chef, so now I need to take that off of my CV. Thank you for that!

As for your last edit: If you could explain your opinion in a more reasonable way that makes sense, and properly responded to my points, then that would be that. My thoughts are in no way set in stone. If you had a more reasonable argument, then I would be totally open to changing my views on things. I'm a very cold, non-emotional person. I'm not attached to my thoughts and feelings. If they're proven incorrect or flawed, then they will change, period. I tried very hard to make sure that everything I was saying was well thought out and well explained in actual reasons. I'm also sorry that you're naive enough to think that companies are your friend and care about you. While I must admit that the thought gives me a chuckle, that mindset will surely only cause you harm later in life. As for characters on the internet, my favorite are the pseudo-intellectuals. See where I'm going with this? Then again, you "could care less" so this surely doesn't matter to you, anyway... ;)

Resseh
07-29-2013, 02:38 PM
I was going to give you another nice, long, well thought out reply (It's almost bothering me not to, in fact). But then I noticed you're someone that uses the term "could care less". Based on English, the language we are currently conversing in, that means you actually care enough that it is possible for you to care less. While I am making more of those dangerous assumptions, I'm just going to go with it this time, and I think I'll save my breath--metaphorically speaking--for a more worthy sparring partner and just leave it at

I love the David Mitchell rant on 'could care less!'

comaamen86
07-29-2013, 04:19 PM
i will jump in on this with a thought out argument

wwooooooo sony

boo Microsoft

LowlyAssassin
08-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Microsoft has since announced that the game
Killer Instinct will be free for EVERYONE (on Xbox one) to download and play, so besides the steelbool
And the killer instinct exclusive character
Is there any point in buying this ?

SwiftDeath
08-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Killer Instinct will be free for EVERYONE (on Xbox one) to download and play, so besides the steelbool

I assume it comes with a more complete version of the game

More charecters etc.

patcrazystar64
08-29-2013, 05:39 PM
The "free-to-play" aspect apparently is like an expanded demo and if you are really interested in the game, you're better off getting the season pass for it to get all the content.

KianRockz
08-29-2013, 08:04 PM
gieeve me

sigmadirk69
10-18-2013, 02:11 AM
nhfgjjvb b

sigmadirk69
10-18-2013, 02:12 AM
Yes you get an exclusive character that nobody else will have plus the steelbook. your going to buy live gold anyways, might as well get some extra content and a steel book to go with it.

dahein
11-21-2013, 06:55 PM
any screens on this?
cant find any at the moment, tomorrow is release, so some1 should already have it ;)
going to get mine a few days later unfortunately

Letrico
11-21-2013, 08:31 PM
any screens on this?
cant find any at the moment, tomorrow is release, so some1 should already have it ;)
going to get mine a few days later unfortunately

Ask and you shall receive!

It is a metalpak not steelbook
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41250728/2013-11-22%2007.26.47.jpg

Sleek design. Stores a card inside for the live code
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41250728/2013-11-22%2007.27.42.jpg

The card is actually a metallic plate with the letters engraved to it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41250728/2013-11-22%2007.28.06.jpg

dahein
11-21-2013, 08:34 PM
cool stuff. Thanks a bunch :)

comaamen86
11-21-2013, 08:34 PM

Sleek design. Stores a card inside for the live code
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41250728/2013-11-22%2007.27.42.jpg

The card is actually a metallic plate with the letters engraved to it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41250728/2013-11-22%2007.28.06.jpg

your nails are too long :bunny:

SwiftDeath
11-21-2013, 08:37 PM

Ugh I hate metal paks :(

Not a good sign this, batman origins and tales of xillia

Edit: Actually I don't think that's even a metal pak

Looks like a tin nothing more

Are there any pictures of the spine?

Letrico
11-21-2013, 08:42 PM
You certainly seems right. It is sort of a Tin as well as you can't fully open it at 180%.

It's 7am in the morning and its dark excuse my bad phone quality pictures

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41250728/2013-11-22%2007.39.58.jpg

comaamen86
11-21-2013, 08:45 PM
i prefer to bite my nails, one of my bad habits

Letrico
11-21-2013, 08:47 PM
i prefer to bite my nails, one of my bad habits

You should seey sexy fingers. The nails make my hand sexy

comaamen86
11-21-2013, 08:50 PM
You should seey sexy fingers. The nails make my hand sexy

:sick: weird

SwiftDeath
11-21-2013, 08:58 PM
You certainly seems right. It is sort of a Tin as well as you can't fully open it at 180%.

It's 7am in the morning and its dark excuse my bad phone quality pictures

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41250728/2013-11-22%2007.39.58.jpg

Thanks for the pics buddy :thumb:

That's odd though. They specifically said steelbook

Receive an Exclusive Steelbook and Day One Membership card and show yourself to be a true Xbox fan.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-live-game-exclusive-12-month-day-one-edition-subscription-239819/?cm_mmc=game-_-XboxOne-_-PreordersEmail1-_-banner2

I feel let down :(

Dan
11-21-2013, 09:17 PM

is it just me or does it seem a tad small? can you compare it next to another steelbook?

comaamen86
11-21-2013, 09:39 PM
is it just me or does it seem a tad small? can you compare it next to another steelbook?

go out and buy a sports car or something to compensate

Letrico
11-21-2013, 09:51 PM

It does seems like its small but it is the same dimension as a g2 steelbook just more curvy at the corners. I checked it with my forza LE.

Twisted
11-22-2013, 07:22 AM
FUCK YOU METAL PAK :D FUCK YOU MICROSOFT :D FOR CALLING IT STEELBOOK...I digress, lol..it looks alright has an all around package no matter what it is.

Zaku77
11-22-2013, 05:35 PM
I don't feel the need to waste money on it if it's not a steelbook lol.

LowlyAssassin
11-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Has anyone that has purchased this
Redeemed the code for the game and found out exactly what makes it different from the free version that everyone else has access too?

comaamen86
11-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Has anyone that has purchased this
Redeemed the code for the game and found out exactly what makes it different from the free version that everyone else has access too?

saw em in game today they had loads, i think you get 1 free character for ki

kinda pointless outside of the packaging really

comaamen86
11-26-2013, 01:22 PM
EnKSaIx2xhk

LowlyAssassin
11-26-2013, 01:30 PM
EnKSaIx2xhk

Another coma unboxing
Can't believe I waisted my money on this when gold offered me 12,months for 24.99 and I thought I was getting gold plus an entire game, really not impressed

comaamen86
11-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Another coma unboxing
Can't believe I waisted my money on this when gold offered me 12,months for 24.99 and I thought I was getting gold plus an entire game, really not impressed

not my unboxing, you bought this then?

LowlyAssassin
11-26-2013, 01:39 PM
not my unboxing, you bought this then?

Yes because I thought I was getting a game and 12 months live
And its a good unboxing

Redmagster
11-26-2013, 03:38 PM
:lmao: :rotf:

That is the worst unboxing vid I have prob ever seen - spent more time looking at the gingham duvet wondering what it's like to sleep under.... :think:

And I was only trying to convince myself that the day one 'steelbook' is actually just a tin case - not even a metalpak!!

So... when are Scanovo gonna start suing the arse off websites *cough* - game - that bandy about the word 'so much as a thought for my mental health... :rant:

SwiftDeath
11-26-2013, 04:40 PM
:lmao: :rotf:

That is the worst unboxing vid I have prob ever seen - spent more time looking at the gingham duvet wondering what it's like to sleep under.... :think:

And I was only trying to convince myself that the day one 'steelbook' is actually just a tin case - not even a metalpak!!

So... when are Scanovo gonna start suing the arse off websites *cough* - game - that bandy about the word 'so much as a thought for my mental health... :rant:

Haha yeah guy clearly just wanted the codes

I was curious about it as well but thought it would actually be a steelbook, barring that at the very least a metal pak but this is sad

A steelbook is a BRAND name and carries weight

This is disappointing to see in this day and age