PDA

View Full Version : why is the Wii 7th generation

LowlyAssassin
06-28-2014, 11:14 AM
I have been reading and I can't see why the Wii is a seventh generation console other then it's release date

I thought consoles were poor into generations based on bit processing power, and processing advancements, so 8-16 bit was the change from one green to the next
Or the graphical power signifying the transition from one green to the next

So why it's the graphical and computational in paired Nintendo consoles classed as Wii=7th and wiiu=8th ?

Cosmic_Link
06-28-2014, 11:44 AM
This wiki entry will answer your questions.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_consoles

LowlyAssassin
06-28-2014, 01:15 PM
This wiki entry will answer your questions.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_consoles

Nope that doesn't answer my questions
Well maybe it does but I don't understand it

KnightOfTruth
06-28-2014, 10:14 PM
The consoles don't have to be comparable to other consoles in terms of computing power to determine generation, its just based on iteration of unique system at/around a certain time. I don't believe the wii is 7th because it is necessarily comparable to ps3/360 (though arguably it can be on many different marks), but I believe its 7th because of its approximate release date in relation to those as well as its significant difference from the company's (Nintendo's) previous version of a console. Just my thoughts though.

LowlyAssassin
06-28-2014, 10:46 PM
The consoles don't have to be comparable to other consoles in terms of computing power to determine generation, its just based on iteration of unique system at/around a certain time. I don't believe the wii is 7th because it is necessarily comparable to ps3/360 (though arguably it can be on many different marks), but I believe its 7th because of its approximate release date in relation to those as well as its significant difference from the company's (Nintendo's) previous version of a console. Just my thoughts though.
That makes sense till we consider that some console manufacturers in the early days had multiple consoles release in a single generation and their are consoles that overlap generations, (their are some 4th gen consoles releasing after 5th gen as an example)
So I'm still sort of like waaaa my head hurts

KnightOfTruth
06-29-2014, 02:16 AM
That makes sense till we consider that some console manufacturers in the early days had multiple consoles release in a single generation and their are consoles that overlap generations, (their are some 4th gen consoles releasing after 5th gen as an example)
So I'm still sort of like waaaa my head hurts

Any examples? :D