PDA

View Full Version : When to remove batteries?

fiirmoth
08-03-2014, 09:59 PM
I have several collectible DS and 3DS devices along with a few super rare PS3 controllers(Like the Uncharted one). I have recently started worrying about battery leakage. The DS and PS3 controllers never get used. At about what age does everyone start removing batteries from these devices to ensure they dont leak and cause a problem? I try to pull everything out and charge/let run about every six months but does anyone have other methods/ideas on this?

KnightOfTruth
08-04-2014, 04:46 AM
Good question, never really thought about that, but I am interested in hearing what the resident "experts" say.

Thetof91
08-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Lithium battery dont leak like "normal" batteries.. And if they leak it will not be the same as other where there is coming acid out of them..
Else they have like 10-15 years they can just lay on your shelves with out anything would happen to them..
Alkaline cell batteries is there a chance of leaking and make some problems.. But what I know they use lithium in ds and controllers :)

LowlyAssassin
08-04-2014, 02:47 PM
As theotf said lithium IoN batteries don't leak,
If they are going to do anything it'll be
Work
Not work
Explode

Not necessarily in that order, but exploding batteries are extremely rare, unless.you go poking it with a sharp pokey thing or exposing it to extreme temperatures then expect some exploding and deadly gases (we had a couple of exploding batteries at work, and the whole building of about 400 people had to be cleared out until the tiny bit of gas had been dispersed by air con, they where fun days with hour long breaks because things blow up

Edit
I had never thought of batteries, I leave my Xbox 360 play and charge batteries completely empty and flat and not connected, I don't know how much of a problem this males

fiirmoth
08-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Thank you very much for the replies!! I didnt realize that these should all be Lithium Ion and that they shouldnt leak. That makes me feel much better. Thank you all for the replies.

Twisted
08-05-2014, 05:56 PM
I collect handhelds and controllers sealed as well..the Nintendo wii motes have alkaline batteries in them..those scare me as I collect sealed.