PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the steelbooks gone??

Redmagster
08-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Yes I know that seems a crazy question in the light of the number of steelbook releases that hit us every month but I'm wondering whether Scanovo are getting greedy or game stores are squeezing every last penny but the number of 'tin cases' 'metal boxes' and 'future paks' currently gracing the game case scene is starting to worry me..

Me - I'll collect anything made of metal but the quality of steelbook is so superior to other metal cases that it's a trend that saddens me

And, even on the profit note, I can't believe the demand for games in metal pak cases is as high as the demand for the branded steelbooks - so many 'steelbook' only collectors out there

Is this the end for steelbook (as in the branded product) domination??? :nosleep:

Dreamcazman
08-06-2014, 10:53 AM
I understand your concern, I prefer proper steelbooks but lately cheap inferior cases seem to be sneaking in here and there.

Hopefully the trend will reverse soon. There are a heap of cool steelbooks getting released with games over the next few months, namely Far Cry 4, Alien: Isolation, Destiny, Assassin's Creed Unity (possible futurepak) and COD: AWF to name a few. :)

0329liuken
08-06-2014, 12:24 PM
I googled futurepak when I saw the AC Unity comes with one. They say futurepak has better quality than metalpak and steelbook.

Redmagster
08-06-2014, 01:48 PM
I googled futurepak when I saw the AC Unity comes with one. They say futurepak has better quality than metalpak and steelbook.

Hmmmmm.... Bet it doesn't have a nice spine to it but I'll hold my cynicism.... And hope for the best! :)

LowlyAssassin
08-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Things change
Maybe the people in production just shop around every year for the best deal

KnightOfTruth
08-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Not sure about a "futurepak" but it is a tad annoying that so many other cheap-o packs are being included in CEs. I'm with ya Maggie - we need to demand better quality in these CEs, its just unfortunate that the only way to do so (besides bombarding them with mail/posts/etc.) is to not buy the thing in the 1st place. But I'm usually of the persuasion that a not-so-great-CE is still > than no-CE-at-all,... but that just enables them to keep doing this type of thing I guess :(

KianRockz
08-06-2014, 05:41 PM
I missed alot of the scene news cause of my schoolwork, what happened ?

Redmagster
08-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Hey Kian - been a while.... :)

Nothing major but seems some of the more 'significant' releases are switching away from the steelbook brand - which I can only imagine is cost driven as lowly suggests....

KianRockz
08-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Haha yeah Mags a little while :D

Wow just bad news, after America Canceled G1 Steels, now Steels get completely canceled :D But Europe is life haha

EU>NA, especially Germany (Amazon.de+GameStop) get alot of Releases

Redmagster
08-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Haha yeah Mags a little while :D

Wow just bad news, after America Canceled G1 Steels, now Steels get completely canceled :D But Europe is life haha

EU>NA, especially Germany (Amazon.de+GameStop) get alot of Releases

Yeah liking some of these more limited releases ;)

It's good to still find limited runs going strong :yes:

Twisted
08-07-2014, 12:21 PM
I also saw a video on youtube comparing steelbook vs. futurepak..and the futurepark was of superior quality..now the spine design on steelbook is more appealing, but the overall contruction futurepak came in first.

Lemur
08-07-2014, 03:48 PM
LOL futurepak is just the new name for metalpaks. And yes they still suck whatever the name. They are just cheaper and lower MOQ so the cheapskate publishers use them :haha:

The video comparing steelbooks with futurepaks was made by the futurepak company so I doubt they would have shown why steelbooks are better :banana:

comaamen86
08-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Derp derp derp

Where have all the steels gone

Mags storage room

Derp derp

LowlyAssassin
08-07-2014, 06:35 PM
I like future pack
They use 2.5 tin and scanovo only use 2.1
And my god can you tell the difference, see if you apply pressure the scanovo Ines bend but if you handle the future packs with extreme care then nothing happens at all,
Like literally you touch a scanovo and it just crumbles at your touch and not a big ball of mess but the futurepak you can use that as a bomb shelter, heck Gaza has started ordering these to protect its citizens from air born missiles, they are like concrete bunker,
You've heard the saying, if their was a nuclear wat only the cockroaches would survive
Well not anymore, the futurepaks would survive and seeing as they are inanimate objects they would outlive the cockroach's and go on to take over the world,

KnightOfTruth
08-07-2014, 06:58 PM
I like future pack
They use 2.5 tin and scanovo only use 2.1
And my god can you tell the difference, see if you apply pressure the scanovo Ines bend but if you handle the future packs with extreme care then nothing happens at all,
Like literally you touch a scanovo and it just crumbles at your touch and not a big ball of mess but the futurepak you can use that as a bomb shelter, heck Gaza has started ordering these to protect its citizens from air born missiles, they are like concrete bunker,
You've heard the saying, if their was a nuclear wat only the cockroaches would survive
Well not anymore, the futurepaks would survive and seeing as they are inanimate objects they would outlive the cockroach's and go on to take over the world,

SOMEBODY has stock in "futurepaks"

LowlyAssassin
08-07-2014, 07:04 PM
SOMEBODY has stock in "futurepaks"

No *shifty eyes* I just watched the futurepak video explaining why they are better then scanovo

Gazereths
08-07-2014, 11:27 PM
To be absolutely honest it's the artwork that most interests me, not if the gauge of metal they use is 0.0001mm thicker lol.

Oh and every time I see the name if this thread I get that awful 'where have all the cowboys gone' song stuck in my head. Thanks for that :P

Redmagster
08-08-2014, 12:10 AM
To be absolutely honest it's the artwork that most interests me, not if the gauge of metal they use is 0.0001mm thicker lol.

Oh and every time I see the name if this thread I get that awful 'where have all the cowboys gone' song stuck in my head. Thanks for that :P

That was the plan.... :twisted:
Oh but it is actually 'where have all the soldiers gone....' just in case you wanted it accurate while it was going round in your head....

And, whatever the futurepak video says and Lowly you have been well sold up the river.... there is no way a futurepak would withstand more than a steelbook... :nosleep:

Metalpaks are made of tin foil - I've imprinted my own face on a metalpak simply by headbutting it....

King Peter
08-08-2014, 03:06 AM
Seems futureshop has stopped doing steelbook, don't see any upcoming game in their website for it. One of my futureshop got rid of all of the steelbook they had for sale.

RIP :P

LowlyAssassin
08-08-2014, 05:11 AM
That was the plan.... :twisted:
Oh but it is actually 'where have all the soldiers gone....' just in case you wanted it accurate while it was going round in your head....

And, whatever the futurepak video says and Lowly you have been well sold up the river.... there is no way a futurepak would withstand more than a steelbook... :nosleep:

Metalpaks are made of tin foil - I've imprinted my own face on a metalpak simply by headbutting it....

That's not because metal packs are cheap, that's because your from up the north and your proper weather hardened

But the man in the video said they where better, so they must be, why would he lie about it?

Twisted
08-08-2014, 06:24 AM
does futurepak have a official website?

altermann
08-08-2014, 11:45 AM
does futurepak have a official website?

http://www.novoboxworld.com/

KnightOfTruth
08-08-2014, 01:56 PM

:lmao: Hahaha! That's the funniest thing I've read in quite awhile... I can totally picture that now, hahahaha!!! It's WAAAAAY better than an autographed/signed Steelbook, it's got the actual face-indent of a famous person on there now! :lmao:

Redmagster
08-08-2014, 01:58 PM
:lmao: Hahaha! That's the funniest thing I've read in quite awhile... I can totally picture that now, hahahaha!!! It's WAAAAAY better than an autographed/signed Steelbook, it's got the actual face-indent of a famous person on there now! :lmao:

:lmao: yeah you'll be like 'here you go Nolan mind if I just push your head down hard on my Uncharted steelbook?' :lmao:

0329liuken
08-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Wow just knew there are "4D Futurepak"...

KianRockz
08-08-2014, 02:15 PM
I would like 5D pls with good smells!

0329liuken
08-08-2014, 02:16 PM
I would like 5D pls with good smells!

Wouldn't be long before you can purchase it!

comaamen86
08-08-2014, 04:13 PM
:lmao: yeah you'll be like 'here you go Nolan mind if I just push your head down hard on my Uncharted steelbook?' :lmao:

Hermes been doing this with boot for years

Sorry you late too party

New SIG sucks, I liked hula cow

Redmagster
08-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Hermes been doing this with boot for years

Sorry you late too party

New SIG is superb! I can't wait to play COL - it looks so charming

Fixed :thumb:

Redmagster
09-22-2014, 09:50 AM
With the AC Unity Futureshop steelbook having the steelbook logo emblazoned on the spine in the placeholder art is this a fight back by Steelbook to reinforce their brand and hold or gain market share after the recent losses to steelpacks??

Is there any steelbook collector out there who can convince me metalpaks are better??? And, yes, I am way down on the side of steelbooks for quality so I'm going to take a lot of convincing...

LowlyAssassin
09-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Someone told me all the steelbooks and pre order bonuses are gone because the publishers weren't making the money they required in order the keep supplying pre order bonuses,
That's probably down to collectors picking up pre order bonuses then either not picking up the game or trading it straight back in as soon as they pick up the pre order bonus

So it would seem, of this is at all true, then it is collectors faults their is nothing to collect... Yayyyy :yay:

I put some of the blame on buying digital copies over buying physical copies but I have no proof for this at all

KianRockz
09-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Metalpaks = meh, Steelbooks = yeah

You can even showoff metalpaks with their ugly ass spine haha

rapister
10-02-2014, 10:39 PM
looks like steelbooks are back in season LOL

Redmagster
10-02-2014, 10:42 PM
looks like steelbooks are back in season LOL

Yessssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!

You see the vid trying to pretend metalpaks are better?!?! :nosleep:

How can anyone even begin to suggest the quality is better???

KianRockz
10-02-2014, 10:43 PM
but lights and sound metalpaks are cool :D

Redmagster
10-02-2014, 10:48 PM
but lights and sound metalpaks are cool :D

:nosleep: :swoon: :nosleep: :swoon: :nosleep:

LowlyAssassin
10-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Metal Pak's are better,
Sending you all my steel books mags
Sorry I sat on all of them :(

Redmagster
10-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Metal Pak's are better,
Sending you all my steel books mags
Sorry I sat on all of them :(

Yay!! Bum prints! :thumb:

METALPAKS ARE NOT BETTER THEY ARE AWFUL AND DON'T CLOSE PROPERLY AND ARE FLIMSY AND NASTY.....

:rant:

LowlyAssassin
10-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Yay!! Bum prints! :thumb:

METALPAKS ARE NOT BETTER THEY ARE AWFUL AND DON'T CLOSE PROPERLY AND ARE FLIMSY AND NASTY.....

:rant:my bum prints, so yea you wants
Also I have a jumbo steelie that won't close, guess I should take out the T-shirt :(

Redmagster
10-07-2014, 11:44 AM
my bum prints, so yea you wants
Also I have a jumbo steelie that won't close, guess I should take out the T-shirt :(

That might help.... if it really annoys you just send it over :yes:

I like to help relieve annoyances :thumb:

LowlyAssassin
10-07-2014, 11:46 AM
That might help.... if it really annoys you just send it over :yes:

I like to help relieve annoyances :thumb:
OK I'm.going to need your address and joykillmegs address

Redmagster
10-07-2014, 11:47 AM
OK I'm.going to need your address and joykillmegs address

Don't worry - was only kidding ;) :poke: though i do have Meggie's address.... :secret:

LowlyAssassin
10-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Don't worry - was only kidding ;) :poke: though i do have Meggie's address.... :secret:

How do I get your secret Santa pressie to you?

KianRockz
10-07-2014, 12:55 PM
I Would take that Jumbo Steel :D