PDA

View Full Version : "New" BluRay from Zavvi, came with fingerprints all over the disc?

Vlad
09-17-2015, 06:15 PM
I figured this may be the best subforum as it's about steelbooks and we don't have a film/tv subforum (which might be a decent idea but I'm sure it's been suggested before).

But to get on with the problem, I got a film on Zavvi, it was one of their exclusive steelbooks thus I had to order it from them to avoid higher prices on eBay.

It arrived today, I've opened it but there's fingerprints all over my disc.

Anyone have any experience with this?

If it helps, it wasn't properly sealed, just shoddily shrinkwrapped too which I did notice at first.

vhal_x
09-17-2015, 06:19 PM
I think it's from the factory workers, as our Mad Max game had fingerprints on the disc too, and it was new and sealed x

Vlad
09-17-2015, 06:24 PM
I think it's from the factory workers, as our Mad Max game had fingerprints on the disc too, and it was new and sealed x

That did cross my mind but tbh, as Zavvi are f-ing awful most of the time (aside from that nice maybe two month period where they reopened then went straight back to their old ways) and the way it looked like it was sealed by someone on work experience, it did make me wonder more if it was a reseal.

But yeah, Occam's Razor, you are probably right, just a niggle I wanted to air, thanks. :)

KnightOfTruth
09-17-2015, 08:21 PM
When I worked at GS, we were allowed to take any game or item home to try for a week or so. We had a checkin/checkout policy and when we returned it, we'd re-shrinkwrap whatever it was that we opened. Perhaps Zavvi dose something similar?

I think this is still allowed at most GSs, though I'm not sure on their policy now since everything has DLC vouchers and one-time use codes and all that?

Vlad
09-17-2015, 08:35 PM
When I worked at GS, we were allowed to take any game or item home to try for a week or so. We had a checkin/checkout policy and when we returned it, we'd re-shrinkwrap whatever it was that we opened. Perhaps Zavvi dose something similar?

I think this is still allowed at most GSs, though I'm not sure on their policy now since everything has DLC vouchers and one-time use codes and all that?

Haha, strange coincidence, I was reading people on Reddit talking about that at lunch today.

Yeah, they could do.
The other thing that crossed my mind was that it might've been a return.

I'm not greatly annoyed or anything though to be clear, I'm sure it'll still work fine, it's a BD so they're pretty hardy and at least I did get it on offer, was about the same as the normal version of the film. :)

Twisted
09-17-2015, 09:05 PM
it's possible they remove the movie from standard blu ray disc cases and repackage them into their exclusive steelbooks?

Cosmic_Link
09-17-2015, 10:43 PM
it's possible they remove the movie from standard blu ray disc cases and repackage them into their exclusive steelbooks?

This was what I was going to say.

Haha, strange coincidence, I was reading people on Reddit talking about that at lunch today.

Yeah, they could do.
The other thing that crossed my mind was that it might've been a return.

I'm not greatly annoyed or anything though to be clear, I'm sure it'll still work fine, it's a BD so they're pretty hardy and at least I did get it on offer, was about the same as the normal version of the film. :)

They also used to be able to do this at Gamestation stores in the UK, although they could only do it with games that were pre-owned, but it always worked well when people used to trade in games the day of launch or just afterwards. lol

Vlad
09-18-2015, 07:37 AM

That's a good idea!
Hadn't thought of that one, cheers. :)

kennyrh
09-19-2015, 02:22 PM
I had a similar experience with HMV a while back. I bought the Spiderman HMV exclusive steelbook at a store even though it was officially OOP and I got it home to find it had been packaged in a plastic bag (!!) with fingerprints on the disc plus - worst of all - the paper cover had been cut so the blue bluray notice was missing.

OOP or not I took it back, voiced my displeasure and guess what ?? . . .not a word of apology. Effing unbelievable that HMV would be so hard up to pull a stunt like that.

Airzonk
09-25-2015, 06:07 PM

This is pretty close to what happens. Scanavo manufactures the Steelbooks and then ships the empty cases to the disc manufacturer. The disc manufacturer then adds the discs and shrinkwraps the Steelbook. It's possible the discs are added to the Steelbook by hand and that is why there are fingerprints on them.

A lot of the catalog Steelbook titles Zavvi sells are basically allowing the publisher to get rid of their excess stock of Blu-ray Discs.

Dreamcazman
09-26-2015, 07:58 AM
I've bought a heap of Blu-ray steelbook editions from Zavvi & they've all been perfect. You probably just got a Friday copy, lol. :lol: