PDA

View Full Version : New collector question

russellr94
03-10-2016, 01:33 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to collecting steelbooks and things of this nature. My question is how hard do you guys judge the quality of your steelbooks? I have the Star Wars series on steelbook and was looking at them yesterday and noticed a factory flaw in the paint on some of the corners of the cases. It bothers me personally but I have friends that collect and they say that they don't really care about scratches and things of that nature. What I am really wanting to know is if I should go and buy a new copys or save that money to add new things to my collection. I don't plan on ever getting rid of these things but if I ever have to I don't want them to be worthless because of something out of my control. I would post a picture but it wont show up its more of one of those things you have to see in person to notice.

Twisted
03-10-2016, 06:39 AM
the thing is..if you try to sell them..people are VERY PARTICULAR about the condition of the steelbook...most won't tolerate dents, dings, or surface scratches..but if there for your personal collection, and your not OCD then why worry about it?..if you do intend to resell..then you must keep them in best condition possible.

GameTrigger
03-10-2016, 09:21 AM
the thing is..if you try to sell them..people are VERY PARTICULAR about the condition of the steelbook...most won't tolerate dents, dings, or surface scratches..but if there for your personal collection, and your not OCD then why worry about it?..if you do intend to resell..then you must keep them in best condition possible.

:yes:

russellr94
03-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Thank you guys for the help. My next noob question is what you use to protect your steelbooks? The only thing that I have seen is a plastic sleves on ebay. I did not know if these were the best alternative or if there was something I had missed.

GameTrigger
03-10-2016, 02:13 PM
I use DVD plastic bags, like this:
http://76.my/Malaysia/opp-plastic-bag-dvd-mostwin-1403-05-MostWin@1.jpg
For better protection use those:
http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/store/4569532134

vhal_x
03-13-2016, 02:26 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to collecting steelbooks and things of this nature. My question is how hard do you guys judge the quality of your steelbooks? I have the Star Wars series on steelbook and was looking at them yesterday and noticed a factory flaw in the paint on some of the corners of the cases. It bothers me personally but I have friends that collect and they say that they don't really care about scratches and things of that nature. What I am really wanting to know is if I should go and buy a new copys or save that money to add new things to my collection. I don't plan on ever getting rid of these things but if I ever have to I don't want them to be worthless because of something out of my control. I would post a picture but it wont show up its more of one of those things you have to see in person to notice.

It depends on personal preference.

Some people like to keep their entire collections sealed. Some people like to open everything. Some people like to make sure that everything that they buy is as pristine as possible, and some people don't mind minor flaws (and to some extent, some people don't mind condition at all).

For me, personally:

- I open all of my editions. I do still have some sealed, but that is purely down to not getting round to opening them yet, as perhaps they came the same day/week as something else, so I opened the other thing(s) and plan on getting back to them at some point.

- I prefer my items to be as good condition as I can, but I don't mind slight issues, such as tiny scratches, or dings. If a mint condition, sealed item is costing £100, but I can get an open, used one, with minor flaws for £40, I know what I'm going for.

- If I have an item, and it's in pretty bad condition (in particular, some of our older stuff, from before we were really "collecting"), if I come across a better condition version, I may buy it, if the price is cheap enough.

- I don't ever sell things from my collection. I've sold a couple of things in the past that were either doublers, or things purchased that never fully entered the "collection" before I decided I didn't really 'need' it. Anything in the collection stays. My boyfriend (who I collect with) sometimes looks at things and suggests we should sell some, since we are running out of space, but I quickly shoot him down as I don't want to sell (and he always conveniently suggests to sell things I picked! :banghead:)

Hope I've been of at least a little help :) xx