PDA

View Full Version : Artbooks discussion

Schnoy
10-31-2016, 09:21 AM
I love artbooks!
That's why I started this thread to talk about them, be it in general or particular ones.

What do you like the most about artbooks?
Do you have an artbook in particular that you want to talk about? It doesn't matter whether they're out of a Limited Edition or sold seperately.
Are there any upcoming artbooks that you are looking forward to?
Or do you just want to show off your coolest artbooks?

I'll go ahead:
The things I like most about artbooks is of course the content, especially these full-fledged art works, so to speak. I like concept art as well but not nearly as much because I'm not an artist myself so I won't study them or anything so I'd rather gaze at complete art works. Another great thing is background information. For example, The Art of Avatar: The Last Airbender is full of text, providing you with lots and lots of interesting infos. I also like it when artbooks give you the impression of being a high quality collector's item, for instance if the texture of the pages and/or the cover feels good (does that sound creepy? '_')

The latest one I bought was The Art of Fire Emblem Awakening. I'm guessing that some content may be altered compared to the Japanese release (called Knights of Iris) because of the sexiness of some characters, as it is with some other Nintendo artbooks, but I don't mind that all that much. Haven't got the time to "read" through it yet but up until now I can tell you it looks great! It's really thick, has a HC that has a kind of soft feel to it when touching (really I feel like a weirdo) and when I ordered it it cost only 27 Euros. The art so far is great, too!

The one I'm looking forward to right now is The Art of Metal Gear Solid V! Preordered the Limited Edition even though it's expensive but who cares. Can't wait until November 25th...

So that are my current thoughts. What about you? Feel free to join the discussion!

GameTrigger
10-31-2016, 10:03 AM
I collect Final Fantasy art books and guides - Yoshitaka Amano <3

Argonian Pagan
10-31-2016, 09:44 PM
I also like it when artbooks give you the impression of being a high quality collector's item, for instance if the texture of the pages and/or the cover feels good (does that sound creepy? '_')
Not at all, my friend, it's natural when you're a book collector to appreciate the feel, the smell, the sound of the paper... and who knows what other sensorial qualities
I am a huge fan of gaming artbooks and lorebooks, they are the top priority reason why I buy CE's. My collection is young, I only have about 20 so far. My favorite is the Fallout 4 (regular) artbook, I find it very impressive in size, execution value and the quality of the art itself.

Schnoy
11-01-2016, 03:15 PM
I collect Final Fantasy art books and guides - Yoshitaka Amano <3
Yeah I already saw your FF collection, very impressive!
I once wanted to buy the Sky Slipcased Edition but there are just too many other things I want and a very low budget :(

Not at all, my friend, it's natural when you're a book collector to appreciate the feel, the smell, the sound of the paper... and who knows what other sensorial qualities
I am a huge fan of gaming artbooks and lorebooks, they are the top priority reason why I buy CE's. My collection is young, I only have about 20 so far. My favorite is the Fallout 4 (regular) artbook, I find it very impressive in size, execution value and the quality of the art itself.
You forgot the taste :D
20? I only have about 15, including both seperately sold and CE ones (but not including guides), even though I started collecting them ages ago. I've always been broke :D