PDA

View Full Version : So... is there an LE for every new EA game now?

twistedsymphony
09-01-2010, 10:12 PM
whew... finally caught up with most of the new releases that have been announced over the last few weeks. I'll be making news posts for some of them but getting them into the database is my #1 priority.

One discerning thing I've noticed is that nearly every new EA game coming out has a "Limited Edition" release. These aren't LEs that are sold along side the regular edition, rather these are "First Edition" releases.

For those who don't know a First Edition is basically an LE or CE that is the only version of a game that is available around the time of the games release date, where a less special regular edition comes out at a later date. This occurs frequently with books where the First edition is generally more expensive and hard bound while subsequent releases are cheaper paperbacks.

It would seem that EA is employing the book publisher's strategy by rewarding release-day buyers of their games. Most of these only really provide a few in-game perks, like bonus XP or access to cars and weapons earlier in the game that players of the regular edition would have to play a bit before they could use.

They've employed this tactic with Battlefield Bad Company 2 "Limited Edition" already and so far three upcoming games have a similar LE announced:

Crysis 2

Medal of Honor

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

It will be interesting to see if this trend continues or if other publishers will follow suit. I personally will not be adding any of these games to my collection unless I happen to be buying it anyway. I think it's a great for the average gamer but seems to cheapen the "Limited Edition" title a bit.... View this article on the HomePage. (http://collectorsedition.org/3205/so-is-there-an-le-for-every-new-ea-game-now)

Steve50013
09-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Add Dead Space 2 to that list.

gurpswoo1
09-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm a firm believer in rewarding those that take the plunge for somehting first, they are the people who support the indsutry the most.

Although First press limited Edition have been around for a while now for certain publishers, EA is just following a tide that is getting bigger and bigger. I think your right, this will continue and move to others very soon.

This only works though for games that don't get a update and re-run every 12 months or so months. E.g Fifa, tigerwoods, etc.

Steve50013
09-03-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm a firm believer in rewarding those that take the plunge for somehting first, they are the people who support the indsutry the most.

Although First press limited Edition have been around for a while now for certain publishers, EA is just following a tide that is getting bigger and bigger. I think your right, this will continue and move to others very soon.

This only works though for games that don't get a update and re-run every 12 months or so months. E.g Fifa, tigerwoods, etc.

Well I see it as I can spend $60 for a new game when it comes out with nothing special about it besides it gives me something I will get just by playing the game. Or I get a new piece of armor or a new gun. In my personal experience I have never, used any of the special stuff.

gurpswoo1
09-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Well I see it as I can spend $60 for a new game when it comes out with nothing special about it besides it gives me something I will get just by playing the game. Or I get a new piece of armor or a new gun. In my personal experience I have never, used any of the special stuff.

I think the value is in the better art work or better quality packaging, you are 100% right about the rubbish they include they are worthless and never used most of the time but still have value.

First Press Edition are usually worth more anyway, for Example Alan wake First Edition came with a DLC and artwork code to downlaod the the next episode. The 2nd run did not.

Certain games come with a cardboard sleeve or outer cardboard covers such as ico on the early releases. They later moves to standard dvd boxes.

twistedsymphony
09-03-2010, 01:30 PM
I'd buy all of these if they actually had better packaging... SteelBook or a nice digipack, even without any in-game bonuses would constitute a buy for me.

some foil print on the cover of a standard plastic case doesn't do it for me...

Skoolstah
09-03-2010, 02:10 PM
I think it's quite sucky that publishers just slap on 1 DLC and dare to call it a limited edition. Sure, it would be fine if they'd price them the same as the regular editions, but forking out extra money (sometimes even more than it's worth) for a DLC that will be out 2 weeks later is just ridiculous.

gurpswoo1
09-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I think it's quite sucky that publishers just slap on 1 DLC and dare to call it a limited edition. Sure, it would be fine if they'd price them the same as the regular editions, but forking out extra money (sometimes even more than it's worth) for a DLC that will be out 2 weeks later is just ridiculous.

Here Here

twistedsymphony
09-03-2010, 08:36 PM

at least that's NOT the case here...

all of these "first edition" EA LEs are priced the same as the regular editions that eventually replace them...

scourdx
09-05-2010, 05:24 AM
It would be waste to purchase the first edition when you know you can get the complete edition in the future. Take Dragon Age Origin for instance, EA announce they will release Ultimate edition with all expansion & DLC. Personally I would get the complete package than first release.

Steve50013
09-05-2010, 11:26 PM
It would be waste to purchase the first edition when you know you can get the complete edition in the future. Take Dragon Age Origin for instance, EA announce they will release Ultimate edition with all expansion & DLC. Personally I would get the complete package than first release.

Problem is it's not "complete" Bioware is hinting that they are going to release dlc after that comes out...

scourdx
09-07-2010, 04:02 PM
If EA is doing this, then I won't purchase it until the price drops.

Steve50013
09-07-2010, 09:07 PM
If EA is doing this, then I won't purchase it until the price drops.

They have a long history of being greedy bastards.

scourdx
09-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Yes they do. They are cheaping out pretty much on all their game. It wouldn't surprise me if they choose to use paper sleeve as their disc holder and make all CE practically DLC content.