PDA

View Full Version : Press kit scam

Mlk
10-08-2022, 05:24 PM
Hi
I have been contacted by someone new on the forum who pretended to have a Spyro PS1 press kit for sale
The guy asked for money the first time then more and more money with multiple PayPal accounts. That's when I realised this was suspicious.

Guys be careful. I lost some money
Some new folks are here for scamming

I was not expecting this to happen here on this forum but be careful. They use the fact that we are collectors and we trust each other. They send pictures of press kits they find on Internet

Be careful

Envoyé de mon SM-N975F en utilisant Tapatalk

Mr. T & F
10-08-2022, 05:32 PM
Sorry to hear that someone scamed you of your money :( That sucks! Can you please provide the user name so ppl can avoid him?

edit: I always ask for a photo with a note, date and username except with trustful users here to make sure he owns the press kit

Mlk
10-08-2022, 05:42 PM
Sorry to hear that someone scamed you of your money :( That sucks! Can you please provide the user name so ppl can avoid him?

edit: I always ask for a photo with a note, date and username except with trustful users here to make sure he owns the press kitHi

First I received a private message from "Henry498" saying

"Monic has a Spyro PS1 press kit he wants to part with.Dont know his username on here but you can reach him via romes231@outlook.com"

Then I contacted that person who sent me a few pictures of Spyro PS1 press kit. So I trusted that Romes

He/she sent a first payment request to pay for the press kit. I paid
Then he/she contacted me a few days later to pay for shipping costs. But the payment request came from a different PayPal account than the first one. The guy was nice and said that I should trust him that he used his son's account the 2nd time
I replied that I was finding this weird and he insisted that he was at the post office ready to send the package and needed money right now
I said no and I asked for refund and no news then...

Mlk
10-08-2022, 05:59 PM
Hi

First I received a private message from "Henry498" saying

"Monic has a Spyro PS1 press kit he wants to part with.Dont know his username on here but you can reach him via romes231@outlook.com"

Then I contacted that person who sent me a few pictures of Spyro PS1 press kit. So I trusted that Romes

He/she sent a first payment request to pay for the press kit. I paid
Then he/she contacted me a few days later to pay for shipping costs. But the payment request came from a different PayPal account than the first one. The guy was nice and said that I should trust him that he used his son's account the 2nd time
I replied that I was finding this weird and he insisted that he was at the post office ready to send the package and needed money right now
I said no and I asked for refund and no news then...

Envoyé de mon SM-N975F en utilisant Tapatalk Hi know I was a bit naive but frankly it looked OK.
I am glad i lost only 55 euros. It could have been worse
For those who wonder how I could trust this price for Spyro PS1 press kit, the guy showed pictures of an unregular press kit that comes with documents and photo slide shows that typical of those old PS1 press kits

Mr. T & F
10-09-2022, 09:01 AM
I recommend to use google image reverse search by uploading his photos to check if they are already exists on the internet:

https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en

Click on the "search by image" icon on the right

Mlk
10-09-2022, 10:38 AM
I recommend to use google image reverse search by uploading his photos to check if they are already exists on the internet:

https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en

Click on the "search by image" icon on the rightThanks

I realised quickly that the guy took the picture from this website:

https://www.deviantart.com/adjeca/art/Spyro-The-Dragon-Europe-Press-Kit-494368341

I must admit that there were signs he was a scamer but the guy spoke fluent English and showed the picture above so for me it was his press kit.
But that's what he asked for a 2nd payment with different PayPal account that I started to think it might be a scam

I should have been smarter

This is the very first time i get scammed on the Internet [emoji28]

Mlk
10-09-2022, 10:40 AM
Thanks

I realised quickly that the guy took the picture from this website:

https://www.deviantart.com/adjeca/art/Spyro-The-Dragon-Europe-Press-Kit-494368341

I must admit that there were signs he was a scamer but the guy spoke fluent English and showed the picture above so for me it was his press kit.
But that's what he asked for a 2nd payment with different PayPal account that I started to think it might be a scam

I should have been smarter

This is the very first time i get scammed on the Internet [emoji28]

Sorry this is the pictures below the scamer sent me:

https://images.app.goo.gl/EzpUMrBfvvXwUnnC6

sinanspd
10-09-2022, 04:48 PM
These guys have been trying to scam people for a while. Creating a lot of new accounts, going through people's WTB list and messaging them that they know someone with the item.. most accounts have been banned after people reported suspicious activity but nothing can be done about new accounts unfortunately.

I recommend always checking the account first. If it says "New Member" selling a very rare item. You should immediately start questioning things

Daniel
10-09-2022, 07:37 PM
Adding to list "Victony8204": https://collectorsedition.org/forums/member.php?u=37494

I really love how he sent a random screenshot of the files thinking it was an item i was looking for

Mlk
10-10-2022, 07:15 AM
These guys have been trying to scam people for a while. Creating a lot of new accounts, going through people's WTB list and messaging them that they know someone with the item.. most accounts have been banned after people reported suspicious activity but nothing can be done about new accounts unfortunately.

I recommend always checking the account first. If it says "New Member" selling a very rare item. You should immediately start questioning thingsMy mistake was that I trusted the "seller" when I saw the picture
The picture made me believe he owned the press kit.
I recognize that the combination of "new member + only 1 picture + very low price " was suspicious

Ozzy101
10-10-2022, 08:21 AM
Sorry to hear that, for what it's worth we always tend to be more careful once we go through a bad experience like this once. Helps us be more vigilant in the future. Although doesnt make it any easier losing any amount of money, no matter how much it is. Sorry for your loss.

Curious btw, was the deal done via Paypal Friends & Family? I guess that's another red flag for many new sellers / scammers: they never deal via G&S.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh and another similar scammer;
Victony8204

Victony8204's Flag is: United States
Default PS1 and PS2 press kits
Hey, have you try asking Dadpunk1 about the PS1 and PS2 press kits he has to part out with ? If not i will advice you to ask him because the last time i spoke with him, it's still available and he wants to let it go for a very affordable offer.. Just got what i purchased from him yesterday.. You can email him for a fast response.. johncusack101@yahoo.com.. Have a nice day..

Mlk
10-10-2022, 08:46 AM
Sorry to hear that, for what it's worth we always tend to be more careful once we go through a bad experience like this once. Helps us be more vigilant in the future. Although doesnt make it any easier losing any amount of money, no matter how much it is. Sorry for your loss.

Curious btw, was the deal done via Paypal Friends & Family? I guess that's another red flag for many new sellers / scammers: they never deal via G&S.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Victony8204

Hey, have you try asking Dadpunk1 about the PS1 and PS2 press kits he has to part out with ? If not i will advice you to ask him because the last time i spoke with him, it's still available and he wants to let it go for a very affordable offer.. Just got what i purchased from him yesterday.. You can email him for a fast response.. johncusack101@yahoo.com.. Have a nice day..Indeed a few things were suspicious
I didn't check he was a new seller
I accepted the "Friends and family" without knowing him
For 50 USD and a guy who spoke perfect English I felt in trust
But I must admit I was so happy when he sent me the picture that I become too sure it was his press kit

Daniel
10-10-2022, 09:19 PM

Victony8204

Hey, have you try asking Dadpunk1 about the PS1 and PS2 press kits he has to part out with ? If not i will advice you to ask him because the last time i spoke with him, it's still available and he wants to let it go for a very affordable offer.. Just got what i purchased from him yesterday.. You can email him for a fast response.. johncusack101@yahoo.com.. Have a nice day..
He seems to be the same guy who contacted me back in May through "danutanennigzq62" (iirc hes banned) to contact lynchmendez@aol.com.

And yeah multiple PayPal accounts only throught friends and family.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/766282552222679051/1029125370001231892/unknown.png

If you pay attention when he asks a question he leaves a space before the "?" and all of his messages are always sent "from iOS/iPhone"...

Mlk
10-11-2022, 09:14 AM
He seems to be the same guy who contacted me back in May through "danutanennigzq62" (iirc hes banned) to contact lynchmendez@aol.com.

And yeah multiple PayPal accounts only throught friends and family.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/766282552222679051/1029125370001231892/unknown.png

If you pay attention when he asks a question he leaves a space before the "?" and all of his messages are always sent "from iOS/iPhone"...Yea it's probably the same guy behind all these accounts
But he is smart and tries to make you believe he is a true collector and owns rare items you are looking for
But the pictures he sends are from Google image
Anyway we all have to be careful with these new guys

DerRichtende
10-11-2022, 04:55 PM
Thank you for this Thread.
I've got simmilar messages from Victony8204 regarding two requests i made in the "Wanted Items"-forum:

First message:
Are you still interested in purchasing the digital of TLOU part 2 ? If yes, kindly text me through this number and please make sure you text first because i don't answer strange numbers.. Thanks 4145335204

Second message:
Hey, have you try asking Dadpunk1 about the The Last of Us Part 1 - Preorder Bonus Code he has to part out with ? If not i will advice you to ask him because the last time i spoke with him,
it's still available and he wants to let it go for a very affordable offer.. Just got what i purchased from him yesterday.. You can email him for a fast response.. johncusack101@yahoo.com.. Have a nice day..

And i thought: What a nice and helpful guy.

Mlk
10-11-2022, 10:30 PM
Thank you for this Thread.
I've got simmilar messages from Victony8204 regarding two requests i made in the "Wanted Items"-forum:

First message:
Are you still interested in purchasing the digital of TLOU part 2 ? If yes, kindly text me through this number and please make sure you text first because i don't answer strange numbers.. Thanks 4145335204

Second message:
Hey, have you try asking Dadpunk1 about the The Last of Us Part 1 - Preorder Bonus Code he has to part out with ? If not i will advice you to ask him because the last time i spoke with him,
it's still available and he wants to let it go for a very affordable offer.. Just got what i purchased from him yesterday.. You can email him for a fast response.. johncusack101@yahoo.com.. Have a nice day..

And i thought: What a nice and helpful guy.My thread was made to warn people that those scamers are smarter than usual.
They are very friendly, they speak good english and talking to them feels like talking to a friendly gamer and collector. When you talk to them there is no reason to believe that they want to do harm.

It turns out I was contacted by that same johncusack...

So we need to remain vigilant with new members

DerRichtende
11-19-2022, 10:28 AM
This henry498-ass contacted me with simmilar messages as Victony8204 before.
Now i should contact sombody called kacia with this email romes231 @outlook.com.

Mlk
11-21-2022, 07:21 AM
This henry498-ass contacted me with simmilar messages as Victony8204 before.
Now i should contact sombody called kacia with this email romes231 @outlook.com.This Romes231 is a scamer
That's the guy who tried to steal money from me [emoji16]