PDA

View Full Version : Figures-with or without a box??

HIPPEEDUDE
06-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Hello to all:D
Okay,heres the deal. I personally think collecting any figures is
alot better if you have the original box with it,like anything else
you may collect. Question is,if you come across a whole bunch
of figures that arent that common but dont have any boxes would
you buy them or hold out until you find them all with boxes??
Thats all the info i am going to give for now,cant give away all
my secret finds & bargain deals,i wouldnt have anything at all
if i did that,lol

vhal_x
06-12-2012, 08:59 AM
I'd say it depends on what the items are.

If it's unlikely you will come across that amount in boxes for a low price (as I'm assuming these ones are quite the bargain?) then I'd say probably go for it.

But if you think you'd manage to get a bundle of them in boxes for a similar price, albeit taking you a bit longer to find, then probably hold off and get boxed ones.

But the way you've worded it suggests that finding a lot in boxes for a good price doesn't seem to be plausible xx

HIPPEEDUDE
06-12-2012, 09:05 AM
I'd say it depends on what the items are.

If it's unlikely you will come across that amount in boxes for a low price (as I'm assuming these ones are quite the bargain?) then I'd say probably go for it.

But if you think you'd manage to get a bundle of them in boxes for a similar price, albeit taking you a bit longer to find, then probably hold off and get boxed ones.

But the way you've worded it suggests that finding a lot in boxes for a good price doesn't seem to be plausible xx

Lets just say some of the figures in a box have sold for $200+ each
A complete set in boxes roughly $700-$800 possibly alot more.
My price for a set without boxes $60,big price difference,lol

vhal_x
06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Oh yeah, well I'd say probably go for it then! xx

Dreamcazman
06-12-2012, 11:13 AM
For me, it depends on the value of the action figure and how rare it is. Most of my action figures are from NECA (ie cheap) and most of them arrived in the mail with bashed up boxes. I didn't even hesitate and removed them so I could show them off properly in my dispay case.

I do have other figurines which I've kept in their box otherwise they would decrease in value if I removed them.

vhal_x
06-12-2012, 11:20 AM
He means they don't have boxes. Not that they're just opened.

I open all of my figures pretty much, but I always keep the packaging (not for resale purposes, because most times, once opened they drop anyway) but because I'm a hoarder and don't like to get rid of things :rotf:

I've got all the packaging for all of my Skylanders, even though they're all open :haha: xx

kittychloe
06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
He means they don't have boxes. Not that they're just opened.

I open all of my figures pretty much, but I always keep the packaging (not for resale purposes, because most times, once opened they drop anyway) but because I'm a hoarder and don't like to get rid of things :rotf:

I've got all the packaging for all of my Skylanders, even though they're all open :haha: xx

I have the box for the skylanders game but threw out all the plastic casings for the skylanders as they look shit after being opened no matter how careful you are, also I found out last week you don't even need to take them out of the box to use the damn things... I'm not opening any more if I buy any :'(

Sadly sometimes you will never find the boxes for something without re buying them again. Tin toys for instance.. I have about 40 of them and finding a box by itself is insanely rare.. I say just buy the opened ones of whatever they are

Likey
06-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Get the unboxed ones because of the cheap price but still keep looking for the boxed set at some point.

It's possible that after getting these unboxed you realised it isn't worth getting the more expensived boxed set of figurines. :)

I'm a collector of Final Fantasy figurines, there was a time I saw one or two on ebay that were unboxed for around £20-25 but decided to get it boxed even though it was used for £40. Mainly because I think that the boxed one would be in a better condition than one without. It isn't necessarily true. :(

I was a little disappointed because the joint was too loose, the picture of the unboxed one looked much better as it showed Kingdom Hearts Cloud holding the buster sword with no problem, whereas the boxed one I got had trouble holding the sword because of the weight. I fixed it yesterday by putting superglue in the joint and let it dry, that seemed to have fixed it. Next time I'll make sure I ask these sorts of questions before bidding or buying it now.

Ryu Kazama
06-12-2012, 01:52 PM
^Play Arts joints aren't the best. They loosen up a bit and yeah, added with the weight of the weapon it doesn't help much. My Zack has a similar problem.

For OP's question - depends on the figure. If it's some vintage lot (Thundercats, He-Man, GI Joes) then sure, boxless is still worth while. If it's fairly recent then nah. Of course, the price difference will also matter but chances are if it's vintage, high priced and boxless, you're going to end up paying a massive amount more for a boxed/MIC version.