PDA

View Full Version : The RetroBook Project: Phase I

Kelekin
06-14-2012, 09:43 AM
A bit long - but please read =)

Today I had a meeting with the makers of SteelBook over an idea I have had for quite some time, and it sounds like the project is happening. Thus, the RetroBook Project was born.

So the RetroBook Project is simple - we will be taking old titles, starting with NES, and producing limited edition Steelbooks. Currently, we are seeing if we can get a minimum order quantity of 1000, to make this -extremely- exclusive, but some of their facilities require at least 4000. We will do our best to get that down. Every Steelbook will contain a certificate of authenticity, and numbered. Once a steelbook production has run, it will -never- be printed again. I believe Steelbooks are simply beautiful and it will be an absolute joy to see a new way to display some of the best titles of our time, at a time when the best packaging you could get was cardboard (and usually unattractive at that).

So while we are working out the kinks as far as sizing goes with Steelbook, they will either be DVD or Blu-Ray shaped but with more width, a width similar to an actual NES, SNES, or N64 box.

To me, this is a community-driven project. I plan to sell these within the collector communities, instead of creating some big website for such a project, as we are not here to infringe on IP, we are just here to provide a beautiful new solution for the collector. All the artwork will be done through submission competitions, with those artists getting free steelbooks and their name directly on the certificate.

The first question that I am asking from you, is what the iconic first NES title should be for this project. I am looking for general suggestions, and then in Phase I Part 2 I will post a poll of the most requested titles. Secondly, if you are quite interested in having these steelbooks, please let me know on here. Early feedback is much appreciated.

***Additional Note that I forgot to mention: I will be more than willing to ship these internationally and will look at the cost to do so.***

Letrico
06-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Contra! Love that game played with my brother a lot when I was a kid.

I would LOVE to get my hands on these steelbooks. I think everyone else would be interested in it as well depending on how the final product would look like.

It would be awesome if you could make a thread to take the orders of our members here once the steelbook is ready for preorder.

Kelekin
06-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Absolutely :) I plan on making pre-orders available here and I'm quite excited to work on the art. They showed me all the different types of finishes, so I think we can do some unique stuff with it. I'm planning to sell them at a reasonable price too, but pricing opinions will come in Phase 2 or Phase 3.

Letrico
06-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Great!

Can't wait for more ideas from other members. I like matte steelbooks to be honest but it's kinda hard to maintain them than glossy steelbooks. Matte steels gives a nice touch feel XD.

If there is a way to protect these steelbooks like the G2/G1 steelbook protectors it would be awesome as well.

Kelekin
06-14-2012, 10:49 AM
I will absolutely look into providing protectors as add-ons. I believe the best option, in my personal opinion, would be high-density PVC. I use high-density PVC protectors for my personal collection of NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBA/PS2 and they work really well.

Letrico
06-14-2012, 10:52 AM
That is a great idea but won't the PVC price itself will it rather pricey? Good quality PVCs is never cheap.

Kelekin
06-14-2012, 10:57 AM
It depends really on what I can sell them at. I would think something like $2 would be reasonable and I think I could get them produced for under $1 if I ordered a few thousand protectors.

Kelekin
06-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Or perhaps I just include it in the cost of what the Steelbooks are sold at, because if I can provide them for under a dollar it's not a huge cost.

Letrico
06-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Sound good so far. Everyone seems to be sleeping =P

Kelekin
06-14-2012, 11:02 AM
-nod- And it's time for me to do so as well. Thanks for raising a lot of good points. Hopefully there's plenty of great feedback waiting for me a few hours from now =)

vhal_x
06-14-2012, 11:03 AM
I'd love these! I have no idea on what games to start with, but try to get as many done as possible :P

I assume these will be almost like the French 3DS steels? xx

Evilhawk
06-14-2012, 11:20 AM
I woulb be interested aswell, as for the first steelbook. my suggestion would be Super Mario Bros, seeming as it is among the first NA nes games.

StyX
06-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Would totally be interested in these steelbooks!
Would also like to see some steelbooks for PS1 RPGs like Final Fantasy VIII,IX, Jade Cocoon, Vandal Hearts 2 etc. Would be the best thing ever! But that will probably always be a dream :D

NaughtyDogJames
06-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Please make them blu ray sized as everything will become G2 over the next few years. Also are you taking suggestions for games on consoles other than NES? I think this is a great idea.

vhal_x
06-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Everything won't necessarily become BluRay sized. If Wii and Xbox games still come in G1 sized packaging, then I don't see the end of G1 happening anytime soon.

Especially as Sony owns the copyright of G2 sized amaray cases do they not? (I think I read that somewhere) so Nintendo and Microsoft couldn't use G2 packaging anyway xx

NaughtyDogJames
06-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah but the Wii and Xbox use DVD whereas wii u and the next xbox will use blu ray. I doubt Sony own the rights to G2 sized amarays as Hd DVDs were G2. I see your point though.

Kelekin
06-14-2012, 07:35 PM
The only reason I was thinking to go G1-sized was because it would allow room for someone to put a game manual inside. However, I don't see this as a big issue, and I might just go G2-sized. I just happen to personally be a bigger fan of G1 but it seems a lot of people quite like G2 now.

If the project goes well, it would be expanding into SNES, N64, PS1, etc. Anything that is an older generation.

toxicatom5
06-14-2012, 07:37 PM
I'd be interested. Metroid would probably be my first choice.

vhal_x
06-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Where does it say Wii U and next Xbox will be G2? I'd have thought they'd stay G1 :shrug:

I'd have preferred these G1 aswell (like so you could maybe fit the games inside, if they have slots for them inside? As NES games might not fit in G2, comfortably would they?, but G2 doesn't bother me either way xx

Kelekin
06-14-2012, 07:58 PM
An NES game will fit into a G2, I brought some samples to the meeting. I think it looks a bit nicer in a G1. The purpose is that the games would go into the Steelbooks as a new way to display some of your old games.

Until I know whether or not I can do a lower qty order with the G1 jumbo, I am only aware that I can likely do a lower qty order with the G2 jumbo.

gurpswoo1
06-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Great idea, Thanks for allowing input.

The large portion of the steelbook community seems to prefer G2 sized steelbooks,

But in this case I think G1 is the only choice, the instruction manual is a must in my opinion. therefore G2 is not a feasible option.

In terms of finish, is there any chance of embossed text or finish to artwork.

Also make sure that the cart fits with or without the black sleeve.

I think also that NES manuals were quite thick compared to todays manuals.

I have ideas on how to make it unquie but they are out there:

One piece of merchandise that was released with the early big games were soundtracks CD. One option could be to incorporate a CD slot for these soundtracks.

what about using UV reactive paint, great effect under the right light. or maybe on inside artwork instead.

One of biggest problems with steelbooks is ensuring the paint does not get marked, any chance for improved coatings.

Some part of world have high humidity, could there be a place to put a moisture absorbing packs.

The same with dust, maybe incorporates a dust protector for slot if the game doesn't have a sleeve.

In terms of which game to use, there are so many I would be happy with.

Mario bros
Zelda
Battletoads
Castlevania 3
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear

evilvort3x
06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
sounds excellent. would love to have something to do with this... :)

NaughtyDogJames
06-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Ii'm presuming as they'll be blu ray or similar.

NaughtyDogJames
06-14-2012, 10:18 PM
My request would be a Crash Bandicoot trilogy Steelbook. Easier to make as it would be just a 3 disc Steelbook.

Madigan
06-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Niiice I like the idea. I can help with the designs (I'm studying graphic design) once we reach the ps1 era :D (Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, FFs, Resident Evils, Oddworld, Silent Hill, etc).

We need more details about the project.

Who are you? (are you part of the industry, one guy, a group, etc)
We'll have to pay upfront like a kickstarter or are you paying now and sell later?
Price (aprox)?

Every Steelbook will contain a certificate of authenticity, and numbered.

I think is a good idea to print the number inside the steelbook AND include the COA with the number, but I think the number printed on the inner box art is enough and is harder to duplicate.

PD: limit this to 2-4 (or something) per person, just to avoid those fucking hoarders and ebay resellers.....

Kelekin
06-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Great idea, Thanks for allowing input.

The large portion of the steelbook community seems to prefer G2 sized steelbooks,

But in this case I think G1 is the only choice, the instruction manual is a must in my opinion. therefore G2 is not a feasible option.

In terms of finish, is there any chance of embossed text or finish to artwork.

Also make sure that the cart fits with or without the black sleeve.

I think also that NES manuals were quite thick compared to todays manuals.

I have ideas on how to make it unquie but they are out there:

One piece of merchandise that was released with the early big games were soundtracks CD. One option could be to incorporate a CD slot for these soundtracks.

what about using UV reactive paint, great effect under the right light. or maybe on inside artwork instead.

One of biggest problems with steelbooks is ensuring the paint does not get marked, any chance for improved coatings.

Some part of world have high humidity, could there be a place to put a moisture absorbing packs.

The same with dust, maybe incorporates a dust protector for slot if the game doesn't have a sleeve.

In terms of which game to use, there are so many I would be happy with.

Mario bros
Zelda
Battletoads
Castlevania 3
Final Fantasy
Metal Gear

Alright, lots of questions. Let me answer as best I can:

- It sounds like I may be able to do G1 if I end up doing 4 titles at a time. The reason I think G1 is more and more necessary is that if you do systems from across all the titles, G1 is the easiest to match up and organize. For example, N64 manuals -definitely- do not fit in G2 cases. Nor would PS2 or Gamecube. But NES manuals would. The problem is, I can't move where the holders are on the left side of the case. So if you have PS1 games, your manual may need to be kept elsewhere, depending on how well it clips inside.

- All different possibilities of effects can be explored. Different finishes (matte, gloss, etc) as well as emboss/deboss have been shown to me and how they work. Depending on the title, it will determine what effects are used.

- Most Nintendo games did not come with soundtracks...if any, off the top of my head. If a PS1 game came with a soundtrack or demo CD, we'd incorporate a slot for the bonus disc.

- I am unsure about if UV reactive paint is doable. These are shot with plates and will likely be CMYK, and it is unlikely their press has UV reactive ink. I will double check, but I am pretty sure this won't happen as cool as that would be.

- A lot of the rest of what you mentioned seemed like something that the consumer should deal with. I can likely find a way to provide protection for the case itself, but humidity issues etc. are something that I can't troubleshoot for individual people.

sounds excellent. would love to have something to do with this... :)

If you have something that would benefit the project e.g. certain skillsets, just let me know. :)

My request would be a Crash Bandicoot trilogy Steelbook. Easier to make as it would be just a 3 disc Steelbook.

The benefit of PS1 is that lots of trilogy or collection-based steelbooks would be very doable. So it could certainly happen.

Niiice I like the idea. I can help with the designs (I'm studying graphic design) once we reach the ps1 era :D (Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, FFs, Resident Evils, Oddworld, Silent Hill, etc).

We need more details about the project.

Who are you? (are you part of the industry, one guy, a group, etc)
We'll have to pay upfront like a kickstarter or are you paying now and sell later?
Price (aprox)?

I think is a good idea to print the number inside the steelbook AND include the COA with the number, but I think the number printed on the inner box art is enough and is harder to duplicate.

PD: limit this to 2-4 (or something) per person, just to avoid those fucking hoarders and ebay resellers.....

- Any design help would be cool. Right now I'm figuring out what kind of specs and requirements I'll have, I'm hoping by next week I'll know what I may have to do. It's very possible we may do something like a monochromatic background with more of a spot colour effect, to really emphasis certain elements and give the entire project a single style. If it's all part of one project, it makes sense to do some sort of theme, no? And in my opinion, a lot of the nice steelbooks have had a more monochromatic background (DMC4 Europe Steelbook, RE:ORC, FFXIII).

- I am not part of the industry, I'm just one guy. I do trade shows locally for various things and would love to be able to bring these to some local trade shows (we have an expo that had 60000 attendance this year). This project is my baby, and this is the type of person who I am - an idea man. I have a million ideas, and this is my favourite, and am glad to have a shot to run with it (hopefully).

- Whether or not it will have to be paid up front is based on when they tell me how invoicing works. In the printing industry, usually you don't pay until after you have your product as a company would invoice you. But Steelbook is unique, so I won't know yet. I am hoping that -after- a production order is made, I can start taking pre-orders via paypal or somewhere else (there may be a better option that paypal - kickstarter might be a bit big).

- Pricing will be determined once I can figure out shipping costs. Since these would all be shipped in mailing boxes...I am hoping to work out a deal with Canada Post. I am hoping to be able to get it down to somewhere around $30-35 within North America, and $35-40 internationally. But if I end up being able to release multiple titles at once, there would be discounts for multiple titles being purchased etc.

- It would be impossible to print the number inside the steelbook as the company won't do that. The CoA is the best I can do, but I will be using a numbering device and some rather high quality paper (I have ties to the printing industry so I can get pretty good stuff). I think it would be very hard for someone to duplicate these, since Steelbook is already working with me and wouldn't let someone duplicate it, and there isn't much in the way of competition out there. Keep in mind that Steelbook copyrights are also imprinted into all their cases.

- As far as quantity limitations, it's hard to do it at this point. I'd be a bit offended that someone would buy these off me and then re-sell them this early on, considering I am making these specifically for collectors communities. But if someone tells me they want to buy 20 or 30 of these, I would certainly ask why they need so many.

Madigan
06-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Thanks for all the answers kelekin, everything is clear now :D :banana::banana:

web_slinger_62
06-16-2012, 10:44 PM
I would like to see steelbooks for all the Final Fantasy Games, including the GBA/DS ones.

Thetof91
06-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Sounds damn nice :D

NES game I am thinking of first would be Super Mario Bros! :D

Kelekin
06-17-2012, 06:29 AM
I would like to see steelbooks for all the Final Fantasy Games, including the GBA/DS ones.

GBA/DS would be something way down the road. A steelbook is really big for cartridges so small.

vhal_x
06-17-2012, 12:46 PM
There are already 2 steelbooks for DS games, well 3DS games to be exact. Mario Kart and Mario Land 3D - and they hold the game case inside the steelbook too xx

DoctorX
06-18-2012, 02:32 PM
This sounds really genious business idea, but i havent yet read the whole read but what about licences and copyrights ? Perhaps you could submit this great idea to big Gaming Companies and do some co-operative work ? Looking forward to this project.

Kelekin
06-19-2012, 09:58 PM
This sounds really genious business idea, but i havent yet read the whole read but what about licences and copyrights ? Perhaps you could submit this great idea to big Gaming Companies and do some co-operative work ? Looking forward to this project.

That's a fair question and has been asked by others elsewhere. Basically, it's hard to get meetings with big companies. I'm just the little guy. But effectively, we're not mass-producing these and they are made for collectors like you. We may be using the likenesses of characters, but that makes us no different from a fan artist at a convention. That being said I will be meeting with an IP lawyer. But this is the main reason for not allowing people to buy 50 of them to sell at their store. That's not what we're about. This is an expensive project, and we're doing it for the fun of it.

Kelekin
06-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Also we decided today that we are going to do the project for charity basically. We are going to pay the artists and everyone involved for their time, and the rest will be used to establish a local charity that we've wanted to do for years, and hopefully use it to help fund the charity.

Cosmic_Link
06-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Sounds awesome! :D Love the whole idea. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out! :D

Kelekin
06-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Thank you. I'm contacting all the different companies today to see if they'd be willing to support the project since we are making it into a non-profit.

Madigan
06-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Nice, I can't wait to help with the FFs steelbooks. Just give me the template and I'll make the designs. :D

Kelekin
06-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Can you private message me your e-mail address?

Lemur
06-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Some really nagging questions:
1) Steelbooks don't have runs of 1000. MOQ 4000 would most likely be stickerbooks. And if you want numbered, stickerbook is the only way
2) Official artwork will need license from the game companies
3) If you're including the game inside you'll need a production run for the old games
4) The cert would be printed by you
5) The sealing also done by you
6) Registered charity just means you donate after costs. It's not surprising that some charities donate only $0.10 for every dollar collected after paying all their costs which usually include inflated staff salaries for the founders

Not meaning to be a wet blanket but based on what I've read, these are the big question marks.

Kelekin
06-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Some really nagging questions:
1) Steelbooks don't have runs of 1000. MOQ 4000 would most likely be stickerbooks. And if you want numbered, stickerbook is the only way
2) Official artwork will need license from the game companies
3) If you're including the game inside you'll need a production run for the old games
4) The cert would be printed by you
5) The sealing also done by you
6) Registered charity just means you donate after costs. It's not surprising that some charities donate only $0.10 for every dollar collected after paying all their costs which usually include inflated staff salaries for the founders

Not meaning to be a wet blanket but based on what I've read, these are the big question marks.

Some of these are questions and some of these are just random comments, so let me get to them.

1) What determines a 'Stickerbook'? Because from my meetings with Steelbook, I can't imagine anything called a 'Stickerbook' would have the ability to use different finishes etc. Let me know though.

2) No official artwork will be used, though we are currently attempting to get licensing or permission from companies. The project is meant to have personality and be artistic - the one artist I have currently interested is actually a known local street artist.

3) I'm not including the games inside. This is a steelbook project and I can't try getting a thousand copies of the games.

4) And? I spent three years working at a printing company. I have access to high quality paper to make certificates. Why is this bad? They are not going to be made on my LaserJet. Please explain.

5) Not necessarily. And again, not sure why this matters. Please explain.

6) I never said registered charity. I said that we wish to use a bunch of the funds to establish a charity. This is also irrelevant.

4, 5, and 6, are irrelevant questions because you haven't established an actual question. If you have actual questions, I am more than happy to answer them as I have with other members. But this is moreso you just scribbling some thoughts down. Please understand I am not attempting to be rude in saying this - just that you have not formed actual questions and have mostly told me things you either believe to be fact or just comments.

Lemur
06-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Some of these are questions and some of these are just random comments, so let me get to them.

1) What determines a 'Stickerbook'? Because from my meetings with Steelbook, I can't imagine anything called a 'Stickerbook' would have the ability to use different finishes etc. Let me know though.

2) No official artwork will be used, though we are currently attempting to get licensing or permission from companies. The project is meant to have personality and be artistic - the one artist I have currently interested is actually a known local street artist.

3) I'm not including the games inside. This is a steelbook project and I can't try getting a thousand copies of the games.

4) And? I spent three years working at a printing company. I have access to high quality paper to make certificates. Why is this bad? They are not going to be made on my LaserJet. Please explain.

5) Not necessarily. And again, not sure why this matters. Please explain.

6) I never said registered charity. I said that we wish to use a bunch of the funds to establish a charity. This is also irrelevant.

4, 5, and 6, are irrelevant questions because you haven't established an actual question. If you have actual questions, I am more than happy to answer them as I have with other members. But this is moreso you just scribbling some thoughts down. Please understand I am not attempting to be rude in saying this - just that you have not formed actual questions and have mostly told me things you either believe to be fact or just comments.

1) Stickerbook are officially named Steelbook labels. These are usually used for lower MOQ. So with the quantities you're talking about, I'm not sure how you're going to get real steelbooks.

2) Even if not official artwork, if you're gonna sell something with for example Mario Bros emblazoned on it, I'd think you're gonna need some license. And if it's not officially endorsed product, there's no collector value in it at all.

3) This is cleared up

4 & 5) Again with a cert, sure the printing can be done professionally. But I think for collectors like us, we want to be sure that these are officially endorsed by the game companies and strictly controlled. I could get a printing company to print me 1000 high quality numbered certs and stick them on anything I want. There is absolutely no value to that. Same with the sealed thing. I could just do a seal myself honestly. The main thing is without any official control/licenses, the numbering/sealing means nothing.

6) As you mentioned you wanna do this as non-profit company, all I'm highlighting is that in most such cases, all this means is that for the charity/non-profit company they will donate to whatever cause they want after deducting costs. And these costs usually include inflated salaries for the founders. Not meaning you will do this, but this is the reality of these so called charities/non-profit companies.

My original questions weren't necessarily directed at you but more of what collectors like us would be considering. Honestly, this sounds more like a business plan for you with this forum as your market research and also your main market if it happens :p

Kelekin
06-20-2012, 09:00 AM
1) Stickerbook are officially named Steelbook labels. These are usually used for lower MOQ. So with the quantities you're talking about, I'm not sure how you're going to get real steelbooks.

2) Even if not official artwork, if you're gonna sell something with for example Mario Bros emblazoned on it, I'd think you're gonna need some license. And if it's not officially endorsed product, there's no collector value in it at all.

3) This is cleared up

4 & 5) Again with a cert, sure the printing can be done professionally. But I think for collectors like us, we want to be sure that these are officially endorsed by the game companies and strictly controlled. I could get a printing company to print me 1000 high quality numbered certs and stick them on anything I want. There is absolutely no value to that. Same with the sealed thing. I could just do a seal myself honestly. The main thing is without any official control/licenses, the numbering/sealing means nothing.

6) As you mentioned you wanna do this as non-profit company, all I'm highlighting is that in most such cases, all this means is that for the charity/non-profit company they will donate to whatever cause they want after deducting costs. And these costs usually include inflated salaries for the founders. Not meaning you will do this, but this is the reality of these so called charities/non-profit companies.

My original questions weren't necessarily directed at you but more of what collectors like us would be considering.

Alright, thanks for the quick reply.

1) These are not Steelbook Labels. The MOQ for regular Steelbooks is 4000. Steelbook Label's MOQ is 2000. These are actual steelbooks with finishes and all. The reason I'll be able to do 1000 can't be disclosed.

2) Yeah, I understand. We're trying our best to get licenses. If we can't, we can't. I figure a lot of the collectors who want these are because they'll be unique and artistic. Some people like to support small business projects. Locally, in my city, I've had huge support for the project.

4/5) Whether or not they'll be officially endorsed depends on each policy. Some have flat-out policies of not allowing anything no matter what it is. Either way I'll be meeting with a copyright lawyer as stated previously. The numbering might mean nothing to you, but it also means that it's not BS and I am not lying about the production values.

6) No, I never said I would do this as a non-profit company. This is the only point you seem misinformed on. I simply stated I would like to use funds from the project to establish a charity. The charity would have nothing to do with gaming in the first place, and it is not a "fund" that donates to companies of their choice. It is simply that we wish to use funds from the project to save up to establish a local charity that has a purpose, not a charity to support other charities.

Lemur
06-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Also we decided today that we are going to do the project for charity basically. We are going to pay the artists and everyone involved for their time, and the rest will be used to establish a local charity that we've wanted to do for years, and hopefully use it to help fund the charity.

Sounds like what I said earlier, charity after costs :)

That's a fair question and has been asked by others elsewhere. Basically, it's hard to get meetings with big companies. I'm just the little guy. But effectively, we're not mass-producing these and they are made for collectors like you. We may be using the likenesses of characters, but that makes us no different from a fan artist at a convention. That being said I will be meeting with an IP lawyer. But this is the main reason for not allowing people to buy 50 of them to sell at their store. That's not what we're about. This is an expensive project, and we're doing it for the fun of it.

Sorry but I don't think you're doing it for the fun of it.

This sounds like you have a business idea and we're your market research and also your main market. If you pull off pre-sales we're also your funding, reducing your risk considerably.

Problem I see is we have no idea who you are and how reliable your company is. You could just as well make 4000 copies to meet the steelbook MOQ, print 4 sets of 1-1000 certs and seal them. Then sell them in different markets. Chances are most collectors won't open theirs and nobody would know better.

Kelekin
06-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Sounds like what I said earlier, charity after costs :)

Sorry but I don't think you're doing it for the fun of it.

This sounds like you have a business idea and we're your market research and also your main market. If you pull off pre-sales we're also your funding, reducing your risk considerably.

Problem I see is we have no idea who you are and how reliable your company is. You could just as well make 4000 copies to meet the steelbook MOQ, print 4 sets of 1-1000 certs and seal them. Then sell them in different markets. Chances are most collectors won't open theirs and nobody would know better.

Fair enough - charity is always after costs. That's pretty standard practice. And on a project like this, costs are high. There's a reason most people aren't able to just call up Steelbook and make what they want. Plus artists, plus shipping, plus hiring people to put together up to 1000 (x4, 4000) steelbooks for packaging to be shipped.

As far as printing goes - since I will be releasing four titles at once, the costs on that would be exorbitant to do 4000 (x4, 16000). If I had that kind of money, I would already have established charities and businesses and do whatever I want. I wouldn't be someone who, under this username, spends his time getting rid of spare Pokemon Cards on ebay and trading games. ;)

NaughtyDogJames
08-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Any news on this?

Kelekin
09-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Sorry for the delayed reply - I have been dealing with family emergencies (funerals and such) and that has taken my time away.

Here's where the project is at. We ran into some issues with colour limitation. They have basically told us that because of the low print one, they are pressing multiple art on the same plate. So are best bet is to do two colour options:

1) Have monochrome art limited to one or two spot colours -OR-
2) Have monochrome sketches and use one colour across the whole piece

The Super Mario Bros. artwork that we had was completed, but due to these changes, we will need to make some major changes. However, our Legend of Zelda art is about 90% done, and we are deciding whether or not we want to do it in green or gold, or have variants and do both.

Currently, I am waiting to get another meeting with Steelbook with one of my artists to figure out exactly what our limitations are once again and how best to pursue it. It is unfortunate that we will have limited colours at our disposal, but some of the best cases I have seen have been with limited colour (Last Story, Resident Evil: ORC to name a couple).

BlackRob183
10-18-2012, 04:16 PM
I just found this today. I didn't really see the point at first as it's kinda weird for something that old but I'm interested in this as long as there is some titles I like that come out of this lol.

A couple of questions though and I didn't read every post so I'm not sure if these have been answered or not. Anyway if you don't plan on doing a big website or whatever (I think you said something like that) where/how do you plan on selling these exactly? Meaning how would I go about buying one then? Also if this is for real, wouldn't showing some kind of proof help out if you are looking at forums for people to want to buy these things? It almost looks like some random user just made and account and made up a story lol. By proof I mean: Updates (by yourself not a reply to a post) Pictures, Videos or anything else to show that something is actually happening?

1 last thing, I was going to suggest maybe trying Kickstarter but I'm not sure how or if that would work for this type of project, but just an idea.