PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell if a console is a genuine Limited Edition

HIPPEEDUDE
07-11-2012, 10:01 AM
As the title says,how do you really know if a game console is really a Limited Edition console??
Recently have come across a few Xbox 360 consoles with the owners claiming they are a limited edition console,one of one or one of five.
The reasons given appear genuine as to why they say its a limited edition console,in one case owner was given the console by his brother who works for EA Sports.
Seems a legit reason to have it,problem is how the heck can the average joe(or jane)confirm it is what it is?? When Microsoft were contacted all i was told is the information is
confidential & i am not authorised to know the information. Sounds weird but kind of possible the console is legit & i shouldnt have it at all.Just a thought running through my head.
Next question is,who else did paint up legit limited edition consoles throughout the world? I know you have Colorware in the US,some other company in Germany but who else does
them for say countries like Australia?? I know Weta Studios in NZ did a one off Halo Console,would they have done other consoles for arguements sake?

So to all you console lovers & collectors,how do you ever know if what you have or are buying is a legitimate Limited Edition console??

P.S-This doesnt refer to the run of the mill Limited Editions such as GOW 3,Halo Reach or MW2 Consoles,i refer to the extra special Limited Editions:)

Biggav4000
07-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Where do i start,as you know colourware do the majority of custom consoles for the US/UK the simpsons one for example has 94 ntsc editions and 6 pal ones making the PAL version more sought after,most custom consoles are the result of competions run on facebook,comic con,xbox live ,slurpee and the information can be found via the web doing some simple reasearch,others are created to promote games and then auctioned off for charity or won in a competion and sometimes include a letter of authenticity from the developer/software house as in the case of the READ DEAD REDEMPTION one i own,there are only 3 in the world,all i can say is do some reasearch,sometimes sellers may say its 1 of 5 when in reality there where 20,in most cases though apart from the simpsons and the grand theft auto ones the numbers of most custom consoles are 20 or less in some cases it may only be one like the kylie minogue i have.If i can help you in any way PM me :thumb:

HIPPEEDUDE
07-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Have tried to do some research but,its damn hard to find anything at all.
This is the problem,no information appears available & if it was internal
use only,it makes it alot harder than normal.
PM has been sent.

NaughtyDogJames
07-11-2012, 08:58 PM
I really want a Simpsons Xbox, how much do they go for now?

Cosmic_Link
07-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Gotham City Edition xbox 360 slim Mountain Dew "sweepstakes" competition. Just click the sweepstakes link at the top of the page...

http://www.dewgothamcity.com/

HIPPEEDUDE
07-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I really want a Simpsons Xbox, how much do they go for now?

I was lucky when i bought mine.Last one sold in the UK for 1100 pounds:)

NaughtyDogJames
07-11-2012, 11:03 PM
A tad out of my price range.

HIPPEEDUDE
07-11-2012, 11:28 PM
A tad out of my price range.

Yep,collecting consoles isnt a cheap hobby but,if you want a true limited edition then it can be worth it.
I look at some i have & think "Wow,i am only one of 10 people in the world who has one of these consoles" Its kind of a nice thought to have:)

Robalvarez2010
07-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Basically the only way you could tell if its legit if its been given out in a contest that shows proof through a website or if you have paperwork for it. Like me I have a 1 of 1 ps3 console autographed by Naugty dog that was given to me as a gift and if you try to look it up anywhere no information will pop up so people will think is not real, but I have paper work, emails, and the contact # from the person that works from Naughty dog that gave it to me. So can it be real yes but its up to the buyer if they are willing to pay for something that they have no proof of. Because right now I could get a xbox360 or ps3 console and put some crazy artwork on it like of a very popular game and say that its the only one in the world and people will by into it.

HIPPEEDUDE
07-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Basically the only way you could tell if its legit if its been given out in a contest that shows proof through a website or if you have paperwork for it. Like me I have a 1 of 1 ps3 console autographed by Naugty dog that was given to me as a gift and if you try to look it up anywhere no information will pop up so people will think is not real, but I have paper work, emails, and the contact # from the person that works from Naughty dog that gave it to me. So can it be real yes but its up to the buyer if they are willing to pay for something that they have no proof of. Because right now I could get a xbox360 or ps3 console and put some crazy artwork on it like of a very popular game and say that its the only one in the world and people will by into it.

The problem is sometimes there isnt any form of paper trailer to begin with.As an example you only have to look at the xbox 360 launch consoles given to some employees. When they first showed up for sale they went cheap,they were just another console. Once people started finding out what they were up went the price. Both the consoles i am looking at are or were employee only,they were never done for any competition of any kind or some freebie promotional give away,this is the problem. Yes,you could do any console your self with some fancy artwork,this is also the problem. If you do this though you would have to be pretty good & do a damn good job:)

Robalvarez2010
07-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Trust me I know a couple of art designers that will make that look like if it came from factory. But yeah I know what you mean. Its a very difficult decision because you either might buy a fake if you do buy it or if you don't buy it and then you find out it was real then you will regret it. I know there are certain items that were only given to employees that no one ever knows about, and if someone tries to sell it no one will have a clue where it came from or if its even real.

HIPPEEDUDE
07-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Trust me I know a couple of art designers that will make that look like if it came from factory. But yeah I know what you mean. Its a very difficult decision because you either might buy a fake if you do buy it or if you don't buy it and then you find out it was real then you will regret it. I know there are certain items that were only given to employees that no one ever knows about, and if someone tries to sell it no one will have a clue where it came from or if its even real.

For some things its a little harder,like the xbox 360 console faceplate.
It has that power button plastic welded,the remote sensor is welded,try to get that right would be hard.If you remove them,you would have to do a dam good job doing it & putting them back on. Thats the problem,one console more than the other has me concerned as it was supposedly employee only. The person selling it seems legit,are an older person of what appears to be good standing & because i havent mannaged to verify the console or they havent so far i have it down to $300. Its supposed to be new,so price wise its kind of ok but,i always like to know things if i can

Robalvarez2010
07-13-2012, 12:16 AM
Price wise it's very good, especially for something that it's supposed to be rare, and either way for that price I will take the risk because it's not really too much. But if you tell me it's a $1000 or more then I will be very hesitant.