PDA

View Full Version : steelbooks collectors holy grail question

Twisted
11-03-2012, 03:55 AM
I'm more or less a newbie when it comes to steelbook collecting..i see how mirrors edge was difficult to obtain and has amassed a "cult status" following...just wondering if besides mirror's edge..are there other steelbooks that get people to go bonkers...or are just as hard to obtain?...i've heard a lot of hype for mirror's edge..and a lot of speculators out there..who buy a certain steelbook..believe it would be the next big thing and it really is'nt..one example i can site is uncharted 3 italian steelbook...not too hard to obtain...not very expensive..but was initially hyped for it being italian exclusive and one retailer exclusive..and people talked about shortages..all of a sudden resellers on ebay had dozens a few months later..and were selling around 25 euros a piece..so if anybody can name or show pics of steelbooks right up there with mirrors edge,.i would love to hear or see them!..thanks.:bananayes:

themidlandmaster
11-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Assassins creed stickerbook from Spain

Mike1888
11-03-2012, 05:45 AM
Saints Row 2 PS3
Need for Speed Undercover
All those obscure stickerbooks like GT5, Black ops, star wars, etc.
Dragon Age PS3 Jumbo Steelbook

SwiftDeath
11-03-2012, 05:46 AM
NFS Undercover from Spain

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2502/4123194306_0258f38ea6.jpg

Saints Row 2 G2 from Germany (Actual steelbook, not metal tin)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/$T2eC16dHJFoE9nh6ph8DBQZ+hkon)g~~60_35.JPG

Saints Row 2 G2 actually sells for more than Mirror's Edge in some cases as Mirror's Edge pops up far more often

Edit: Man I gotta stop adding pictures, can't beat anyone to the post :)

Also not my pictures, would love them to be but not mine

KidSupreme
11-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Crazy Saint row 2 steelbook went for 340 plus shipping.

Only steelbook i never owned and want is black ops sticker book, everything else is really easy to get.

Redmagster
11-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm going with those already mentioned...

I have Mirror's Edge, Saints Row 2, ACII stickerbook and NFS Undercover but it took me a long while...

But I don't have Black Ops or GT stickerbooks :( :(

And I would also add the Resident Evil Silver Tricell....

gu8
11-03-2012, 11:52 PM
this is the rarest, only one made.....
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/gu8x/bat-1.jpg

nah in all serious ive seen this one start to pick up the pace of late, was only 8 euros when i bought it from amazon.de
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/gu8x/101_0295.jpg
seen it go for over 45 gbp recently

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/gu8x/000_0002_1-1.jpg
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/gu8x/000_0003-2.jpg
tricell, worth 1000 gbp if anyones interested!!!
LOOKS AT REDMAGS

Redmagster
11-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Trade ya for a Man U steel and I'll throw in a JOD Xbox... :drool:

gu8
11-04-2012, 12:37 AM
:poke: what for? tricell? or batman?

Redmagster
11-04-2012, 12:44 AM
:poke: what for? tricell? or batman?

Batman!! Only one I've ever seen... :this:

gu8
11-04-2012, 12:50 AM
pffft, what do you think i am, just rolled in off the banana boat or summit

get stuffed

PUNCHES YA!

Twisted
11-04-2012, 01:20 AM
so thus far,..is everybody saying the steelbooks so far shown on this thread can go for up to US$500+++++?...because i've seen some ebay sales in the past for Mirror's edge at that price during bidding wars..and i think 1 is listed right now on ebay for around US $800....i've seen pics of the GT5 stickerbook...it does'nt look all that great..why do people want it?..not because of quality, but because it's "rare".?..but who really says it is?..did steelbook come out and say it?..or just because most of us don't live in that particular country,..so we assume it's coveted..when it could be very common in and around that country..i would think..again..thanks everybody for sharing the pics...some of those i've never seen before..but then again..that does'nt mean it's less rarer than a new release in 2012 or 2013.

SwiftDeath
11-04-2012, 01:29 AM
so thus far,..is everybody saying the steelbooks so far shown on this thread can go for up to US$500+++++?...because i've seen some ebay sales in the past for Mirror's edge at that price during bidding wars..and i think 1 is listed right now on ebay for around US $800....i've seen pics of the GT5 stickerbook...it does'nt look all that great..why do people want it?..not because of quality, but because it's "rare".?..but who really says it is?..did steelbook come out and say it?..or just because most of us don't live in that particular country,..so we assume it's coveted..when it could be very common in and around that country..i would think..again..thanks everybody for sharing the pics...some of those i've never seen before..but then again..that does'nt mean it's less rarer than a new release in 2012 or 2013.

The obscure stickerbooks that are mentioned are NL MediaMarkt exclusives from the Netherlands.

One important difference between stickerbooks and steelbooks is minimum production amounts. I.E. in the past I heard that for a true steelbook to be produced, you have to order around 8000. (I think they might have brought that down to 4000). While for stickerbooks it's like 500 units or something. Just look at all the statue, lithos etc. as always lowering the supply increases the price people are willing to pay by increasing rarity, exclusivity etc.

Btw anyone know how many Darksider II steelbooks were produced? I remember someone quoting 1000 but that seems super low for a steelbook run.

Redmagster
11-04-2012, 01:35 AM
Steelbook will give no information on the numbers of any steelbook produced as it is 'client confidential'

I do believe that some become mythically rare - for example Mirror's Edge is regarded as one of the 'grails' yet comes up for sale far more frequently that, for example, Saints Row 2 G2 but is that because sellers knwo they are going to get a good price on it

The really rare ones are the ones genuinely produced in limited numbers - single country exclusives etc. - AC11 stickerbook Spain - and that is made more valaubel by the fact that Assassins Creed is a highly collectible game with a passionate following

Mirror's Edge is, in fact, a great game and a stunning steelbook as well

I personally love steelbooks full stop - many of them works of art and a pleasure to own - but the ones I treasure the best are the games I like the most though exceptions are Need for Speed Undercover - visually stunning as well as rare

Less and less limited runs are being produced since they are expensive without the advantage of volume sales and manufacturers use steelbooks to drive preorders so the more the merrier! Restricting numbers is only really an advantage to resellers as it is hard to presell a game at a significantly higher margin and, even if a manuafacturer did, they would make more profit overall by selling greater numbers at a smaller margin...

Any road up - I for one am a steel fanatic and also enjoy the challenge of finding the truly rare ones! :ok:

SwiftDeath
11-04-2012, 01:45 AM
I agree with pretty much all that you've said.

I love the art on some steelbooks more than any other form of VG art.

It's just a better medium imo

Any road up - I for one am a steel fanatic and also enjoy the challenge of finding the truly rare ones! :ok:

I think you mean find the truly rare ones at a price that doesn't want to make you :suicide:

I can "find" rare ones, I just can't find prices I'm willing to pay. Although I have seen some ACII steelbooks go for around 150 USD or less recently which is somewhat tempting

My steel wishlist goes NFS: Undercover, Mirror's Edge, Saints Row 2 and then of course all the rest :)

Redmagster
11-04-2012, 01:57 AM
I agree with pretty much all that you've said.

I love the art on some steelbooks more than any other form of VG art.

It's just a better medium imo

I think you mean find the truly rare ones at a price that doesn't want to make you :suicide:

I can "find" rare ones, I just can't find prices I'm willing to pay. Although I have seen some ACII steelbooks go for around 150 USD or less recently which is somewhat tempting

My steel wishlist goes NFS: Undercover, Mirror's Edge, Saints Row 2 and then of course all the rest :)

You got me completely - the challenge is getting it at the right price.. Could have bought all of them a lot earlier (well, if I robbed a bank!!) but just had to wait for the right one, right price

Trouble is... there's always a new one to add to the list!! ;)

rapister
11-04-2012, 05:42 AM
sometimes price does not matter........

NaughtyDogJames
11-04-2012, 07:27 AM
The one I don't understand not being rare is the uncharted 3 stickerbook. Limited to 550, popular franchise and one country exclusive yet it's cheap as chips*?

*Chips bought in very expensive restraunt.

rapister
11-04-2012, 08:44 AM
wow, you eat 30 quid chips? LOL

NaughtyDogJames
11-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Lol. I've now edited the post. You know what 30 quid vs however much for a assassins creed sticker book or mirrors edge.

Redmagster
11-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Lol. I've now edited the post. You know what 30 quid vs however much for a assassins creed sticker book or mirrors edge.

You have a good point there Naughty (I quite liked Titchy btw - did you go bad or something??)

Which just shows that the collecting hype can be self fulfilling.... :facepalm:

NaughtyDogJames
11-04-2012, 10:40 AM
I switched from Playstation collecting to Naughty Dog collecting so I decided it was time for a change and that's what my YouTube will be called plus there was no reasoning behind TitchyPenguin (other than I'm a midget but we'll loss over that. Titchy_Penguin is still my PSN.

gu8
11-04-2012, 12:01 PM
hes the same size as crash bandicoot!

NaughtyDogJames
11-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Lol- how tall is crash anyway?

gu8
11-04-2012, 02:28 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_tall_is_crash_bandicoot

Cosmic_Link
11-04-2012, 02:37 PM
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_tall_is_crash_bandicoot

And the Spambot derails yet another thread! :ghey:

Well done! :P

gu8
11-04-2012, 04:17 PM
does not compute!

anyhoo back on topic

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r564/gu8x/101_0287.jpg
one of my favourites

SwiftDeath
11-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Yes the steelbook for Mafia II is among my favorites as well.

The embossed logo, awesome finish, and overall art is pretty stunning.

Although it has to be seen in G2 to truly appreciate it...

I don't have a single favorite but here's one I have a soft spot for...

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s517/Jebus900/IMG_0194.jpg

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s517/Jebus900/IMG_0196.jpg

Redmagster
11-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Yes the steelbook for Mafia II is among my favorites as well.

The embossed logo, awesome finish, and overall art is pretty stunning.

Although it has to be seen in G2 to truly appreciate it...

I don't have a single favorite but here's one I have a soft spot for...

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s517/Jebus900/IMG_0194.jpg

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s517/Jebus900/IMG_0196.jpg

LOL! It's like hearing myself talk sometimes... another G2 fan! :)
Rage is nice... MAfia is nice... steelbooks are nice.... :swoon:

Redmagster
11-05-2012, 01:04 AM
And the Spambot derails yet another thread! :ghey:

Well done! :P

Just a thread derailer looking for somewhere to happen ;)

gu8
11-05-2012, 02:25 AM
someTHING to happen

Cosmic_Link
11-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Not a Holy Grail of Steelbooks, but I really like it... :D

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/Cosmic_Link/Games%20and%20Stuffs/Steelbooks/CIMG1782_zpsdc7d69fb.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/Cosmic_Link/Games%20and%20Stuffs/Steelbooks/CIMG1786_zps300c5519.jpg

Redmagster
11-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Very nice, if a little off topic.... ;) LOL!

Cosmic_Link
11-05-2012, 12:32 PM
It was already off-topic after Gu8 posted in here! :P

NaughtyDogJames
11-05-2012, 03:06 PM
someTHING to happen
Seeing as your such a joker I don't suppose you've offered someone ?47 for a UDF press kit? I had one on eBay and immediately thought of you ;)

gu8
11-05-2012, 03:42 PM
nah not me, dont bother with uncharted shit! :wink:

seriously though, no im not into press kits

NaughtyDogJames
11-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Lol, it did make me laugh. The funny thing is it got sent within 10 minutes of me listing it do they must've had it in saved searches? Low balling doesn't begin to describe that offer.

gu8
11-05-2012, 03:56 PM
i wouldnt even know what they are worth mate, like i say, presskits not my brew at all

does seem low though, how much you got it up for

NaughtyDogJames
11-05-2012, 04:16 PM
?310 or best offer. I declined it (obviously) and said sensible offers only and he sent another offer of 99p.

gu8
11-05-2012, 04:38 PM
pmsl fuck that mate change your best offer rules on the listing

automatically decline/accept etc etc

NaughtyDogJames
11-05-2012, 04:41 PM
I did. Anything under ?250 is now auto declined.

gu8
11-05-2012, 04:43 PM
there you go mate, ive done it myself, ya get some cheeky twats on there

i remember selling brand new sealed ac2 black edition

dickhead offered me 14-18-30 pound respectively

sold for 235!!

SwiftDeath
11-05-2012, 04:56 PM
pmsl fuck that mate change your best offer rules on the listing

automatically decline/accept etc etc

I concur. Auto decline usually shuts up the obnoxious lowballers almost instantly.

NaughtyDogJames
11-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Yeah the first offer was funny second was rude.

SBCollectorAl
11-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I would say
Mirrors Edge,
Need for Speed Undercover,
Assassins Creed 2,
Assassins Creed Brotherhood Stickerbook,
Gran Turismo 5,
Saint Row 2 G2,
Mass Effect (Russian Version)
Yakuza Shiro Edition,
Metal Gear Solid 4,
Killzone 3 (Stickerbook Belgium or Netherland Version),
SSX,
Crysis 2 Nano Edition
Mortal Kombat G2

SwiftDeath
11-05-2012, 07:24 PM
I would say
Mirrors Edge,
Need for Speed Undercover,
Assassins Creed 2,
Assassins Creed Brotherhood Stickerbook,
Gran Turismo 5,
Mass Effect (Russian Version)
Yakuza Shiro Edition,
Metal Gear Solid 4,
Killzone 3 (Stickerbook Belgium or Netherland Version),
SSX,
Crysis 2 Nano Edition
Mortal Kombat G2

Yep that's pretty much the list. Although it really should be all the NL MediaMarkt Exclusive stickerbooks not just some of them.

Just saw an Assassins Creed Brotherhood Stickerbook go for 115 USD.

Wonder if that was someone on here?

gu8
11-05-2012, 07:36 PM
brotherhood stickerbook??? which ones that?

ingmar1988
11-05-2012, 07:38 PM
yes im wondering that as wel...

SwiftDeath
11-05-2012, 07:39 PM
One of the better looking stickerbooks imo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASSASSINS-CREED-BROTHERHOOD-STEELBOOK-/110972883081?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=aBnQt61Wrii4aCl50tIvJqU6UN0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

gu8
11-05-2012, 07:58 PM
never even seen that one before! sweet

buy me it someone please, cheers

ingmar1988
11-05-2012, 09:38 PM
never seen it before, its not german though, but dutch (assume mediamarkt exclusive), i really did not know about this steelbook.

Also, was this for the pc release or also for consoles (because only than i want it).

Hope anyone knows more.

Redmagster
11-05-2012, 09:42 PM
never seen it before, its not german though, but dutch (assume mediamarkt exclusive), i really did not know about this steelbook.

Also, was this for the pc release or also for consoles (because only than i want it).

Hope anyone knows more.

I have never seen this before... I cannot believe it was a console release... :think:

SBCollectorAl
11-05-2012, 09:46 PM
I have never seen this before... I cannot believe it was a console release... :think:

I have seen it in Lemurs Collection that is why I know that steelbook so maybe he can tell us more about it.

ingmar1988
11-05-2012, 09:55 PM
found this:
http://steelbookeditions.blogspot.nl/2010/10/mediamarkt-holland-pre-order-exclusive.html

Apparently pre order, and rare just like the gt and bo steelbook.
I never seen it anywhere for sale on dutch marketplace or something.

SwiftDeath
11-05-2012, 10:10 PM
found this:
http://steelbookeditions.blogspot.nl/2010/10/mediamarkt-holland-pre-order-exclusive.html

Apparently pre order, and rare just like the gt and bo steelbook.
I never seen it anywhere for sale on dutch marketplace or something.

I think I have only seen it once before in the last year and a half or so.

I usually see everything everywhere steelbook related as I have very, very good saved searches.

Saw this about an hour before it sold and knew right away that it's probably worth at least double what it sold for.

But it takes money to make money and I am quite broke right now so had to pass which sucks :suicide:

Although part of me knew that if I got that steelbook, I would probably sell a kidney before I would sell this steel:haha:

Redmagster
11-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I think I have only seen it once before in the last year and a half or so.

I usually see everything everywhere steelbook related as I have very, very good saved searches.

Saw this about an hour before it sold and knew right away that it's probably worth at least double what it sold for.

But it takes money to make money and I am quite broke right now so had to pass which sucks :suicide:

Although part of me knew that if I got that steelbook, I would probably sell a kidney before I would sell this steel:haha:

And you didn't mention it to me?!?? :suicide:

I would have SOLD a kidney BEFORE and bought the steelbook... LOL!! ;)

NaughtyDogJames
11-05-2012, 11:29 PM
I have a kidney for sale if anyone's interested? ;)

SwiftDeath
11-06-2012, 01:10 AM
And you didn't mention it to me?!?? :suicide:

I would have SOLD a kidney BEFORE and bought the steelbook... LOL!! ;)

Sorry, the thought crossed my mind but I kind of assumed steelbook collectors of your calibur would've seen it before or at the same time as me.

Besides shouldn't you know your side of the pond better than me... LOL

Just kidding, I'll make sure next time I see a steel of that magnitude to post it regardless.

Assuming I can't scrounge up the necessary organs to pay for it myself :D

KidSupreme
11-06-2012, 01:27 AM
Just shipped this off to a friend in NY.
http://i46.tinypic.com/1zgwdnk.jpg

SwiftDeath
11-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Just shipped this off to a friend in NY.
http://i46.tinypic.com/1zgwdnk.jpg

VG steels of most value that I can make out are

NFS: Undercover OMG :notworthy:

and

Dead Island

Picture isn't really big enough to make out other ones although there's definitely some blu ray steels mixed in there

Edit: Wait made out 2 AC III steelbooks, assume FS's? as well as forza horizon and a dishonored which aren't all that valuable

KidSupreme
11-06-2012, 01:36 AM
O not many grails, the ones that stand out are

Dead island
Saint Row 2
Need for speed sealed
Medal of honor

and the rest are FS video game steelbook and movie steelbook

SwiftDeath
11-06-2012, 01:45 AM
O not many grails, the ones that stand out are

Dead island
Saint Row 2
Need for speed sealed
Medal of honor

and the rest are FS video game steelbook and movie steelbook

Not that many grails, Not that many grails :asplode:

Lol would love to know what the other end of that transaction was.

Saints row 2 and NFS sealed would go for a lot, a lot a lot like buy a car a lot.
You know not a good car or one that you would want to drive or you know one that doesn't smell of cat piss but a car nonetheless.

Medal of honor sells for a lot but doesn't interest me.

It's a METALPAK, BLASPHEMER!....................................... ................

Wow really thought that would do somehing, oh well, guess you get to live

One last thing as I know you collect steelbooks, it must be safe to assume those were extras?

KidSupreme
11-06-2012, 01:48 AM
It was my only Need for speed and Saint Row 2, everything else i have extras

SwiftDeath
11-06-2012, 01:52 AM
It was my only Need for speed and Saint Row 2, everything else i have extras

So what made you sell the grails then?

Was the price right or are you just not into collecting steels as much as you used too be?

KidSupreme
11-06-2012, 01:57 AM
Got a good offer on Need for speed, so good i could not turn it down. Saint Row, i was not a fan of the game so i sold it. Did not know it was worth so much though haha

Just saw a Assassin Creed brotherhood steelbook sell for 90EUro, could of bought it now, but did not think it was hard to find. SMH

SwiftDeath
11-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Got a good offer on Need for speed, so good i could not turn it down. Saint Row, i was not a fan of the game so i sold it. Did not know it was worth so much though haha

Must've been quite the offer.

Not that you should name names but is the friend in NY a member on these forums?

Just saw a Assassin Creed brotherhood steelbook sell for 90EUro, could of bought it now, but did not think it was hard to find. SMH

Yeah that's the same one we were referring to earlier. 90 euros is about the 115 USD I quoted that it sold for. If I only had more money to burn...

KidSupreme
11-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Nope he is not a member, just a buddy that collects

Lemur
11-06-2012, 04:05 AM
AC Brotherhood sold for way too cheap! Seeing how AC2 sells for 200-300 euros this should have sold for more. A lot more. This is only the 2nd one I've ever seen being sold. In fact it's the 1st time I see it on ebay.

Amnoz
11-06-2012, 12:40 PM
I've been looking for that brotherhood stickerbook forever!

Argh!!!!

Redmagster
11-07-2012, 02:03 AM
Sorry, the thought crossed my mind but I kind of assumed steelbook collectors of your calibur would've seen it before or at the same time as me.

Besides shouldn't you know your side of the pond better than me... LOL

Just kidding, I'll make sure next time I see a steel of that magnitude to post it regardless.

Assuming I can't scrounge up the necessary organs to pay for it myself :D

I almost forgave you when you said 'steelbook collectors of your calibur'but then I thought a little and....

NO NO NO!!!! :/

Been so busy with AC3 my eye had gone off my saved searches... Always the way when something amazing crops up... :sorry:

SwiftDeath
11-08-2012, 12:15 AM
I almost forgave you when you said 'steelbook collectors of your calibur'but then I thought a little and....

NO NO NO!!!! :/

Been so busy with AC3 my eye had gone off my saved searches... Always the way when something amazing crops up... :sorry:

Yep we're all a little mad we let it slip away

Back on topic though, I thought of another steelbook that is kind of a grail.

Tales of Vesperia Special Edition (http://collectorsedition.org/game-db/tales-of-vesperia-special-edition-ntsc-360)

It's not necessarily rare per se but sealed ones tend to go for around 130 USD or so and that would put it above Dead Island. Then there's also varying levels of sealed quality to be considered :D (I.E. the smallest tears in the seal)