Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Display Case > CE Discussion

Old 08-04-2013, 02:53 AM

Tubigdomo's Flag is: Australia Sydney
Default Re: WATCH DOGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanKillham View Post
Hi everyone,

My name is Evan Killham, and I'm working on an article for GamesBeat (www.gamesbeat.com). I'm wondering why those of you who are planning to buy one of the various big-box versions of Watch Dogs are interested in doing so, especially because Watch Dogs is a new and untested franchise.

I'm super pumped for Watch Dogs, but I don't think I'd want to spend $130 to have a statue of a character I don't even know if I like yet. What if I don't enjoy the game? That statue would mock me forever. So, for those of you who are extra-excited about the extras: What's the draw? I hope I'm not coming off as bad here; I'm genuinely interested in what sold that Special Edition to you.

For everyone else: Have you ever bought a Special Edition for the first game in a series? What convinced you?

Thanks for the help!

-Evan
I'm willing to fork extra of my hard-earned cash to an original IP that interests me based on the history of the developer(s), genre, gameplay features and the contents of the CE.

With new IP, I question if it captures my interest. Watch_ Dogs's hacking mechanics is a fresh injection into the open world genre and something that would be fun to do, conscience free from reality. It is also developed by the same studio of great open world games like Assassin?s Creed 2 and Far Cry 3. What about the contents in the CE? The standards are in there; figurine, soundtrack, artbook, steelbook, DLC, plus unique bonuses like the 3 badges, map of Chicago and 4 "Augment Reality" cards.

For $138 AUS (PC version), it is affordable compared to other collectors editions with less stuff for over $150 RRP down under. Skyrim, Resident Evil 6 and Gran Turismo 5 come to mind.

Based on their track record, I predict the worst Watch_Dogs can be is it being an Assassin?s Creed clone with a modern skin to it. But based on gameplay videos: there are several unique gameplay features to the hacking mechanics to differentiate it as its own game.

Obviously the final quality of the game is yet to be revealed, but there is enough evidence to say it is more than blind faith as the reason to why I invest more money in one game. It is like how you would judge a favourite between two boxers based on their previous matches.

And what if I didn't enjoy the game? Pre-ordering games is a risky venture. It is satisfying when the $98 game you pre-ordered is good, but it feels even better when that good game came with extra goodies you are proud to have.
-------
An original title I bought the premium releases too ? Bayonetta ? Developed by Platinum games ? Previews of this looked like the ?female edition of Devil May Cry?, which is directed by the same director of the original Devil May Cry, Hideki Kamiya. Hideki also created the weird yet charming Viewtiful Joe storylines, which you can see in Bayonetta's storyline. What about the monster creations? He also directed Resident Evil 2 and Zero. Hideki's track record gives me confidence that Bayonetta is a game to invest in items to show my fanboy side of videogames, and it turned out to be a great game.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:26 AM

MadMan5's Flag is: UK Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubigdomo View Post
I'm willing to fork extra of my hard-earned cash to an original IP that interests me based on the history of the developer(s), genre, gameplay features and the contents of the CE.

With new IP, I question if it captures my interest. Watch_ Dogs's hacking mechanics is a fresh injection into the open world genre and something that would be fun to do, conscience free from reality. It is also developed by the same studio of great open world games like Assassin?s Creed 2 and Far Cry 3. What about the contents in the CE? The standards are in there; figurine, soundtrack, artbook, steelbook, DLC, plus unique bonuses like the 3 badges, map of Chicago and 4 "Augment Reality" cards.

For $138 AUS (PC version), it is affordable compared to other collectors editions with less stuff for over $150 RRP down under. Skyrim, Resident Evil 6 and Gran Turismo 5 come to mind.

Based on their track record, I predict the worst Watch_Dogs can be is it being an Assassin?s Creed clone with a modern skin to it. But based on gameplay videos: there are several unique gameplay features to the hacking mechanics to differentiate it as its own game.

Obviously the final quality of the game is yet to be revealed, but there is enough evidence to say it is more than blind faith as the reason to why I invest more money in one game. It is like how you would judge a favourite between two boxers based on their previous matches.

And what if I didn't enjoy the game? Pre-ordering games is a risky venture. It is satisfying when the $98 game you pre-ordered is good, but it feels even better when that good game came with extra goodies you are proud to have.
-------
An original title I bought the premium releases too ? Bayonetta ? Developed by Platinum games ? Previews of this looked like the ?female edition of Devil May Cry?, which is directed by the same director of the original Devil May Cry, Hideki Kamiya. Hideki also created the weird yet charming Viewtiful Joe storylines, which you can see in Bayonetta's storyline. What about the monster creations? He also directed Resident Evil 2 and Zero. Hideki's track record gives me confidence that Bayonetta is a game to invest in items to show my fanboy side of videogames, and it turned out to be a great game.
Go 10 years from now CE will only be done by game makers who are making money why would I pay $88 AUS for a digital copy of Deadpool on PSN or $120 AUS for the digital copy of Watch Dogs on PSN me I want some thing that I can feel and may be pass on or sell (gaming history) gaming has changed (getting bigger in game play and quality) and watch dogs is a bench mark to the future of gaming go back 10 years ago what was gaming like...
Old 08-04-2013, 05:19 PM

EvanKillham's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Hello, Evan.

For most people around here, buying a collector's edition is just an obsession thing. I would've bought the standard if I had to, but I support the game and its publishers enough that I want to pay as much as I can for a game that looks this good.

Also: I own the CE of Batman: Arkham Asylum & Mass Effect. They really paid off!
Ha, yeah, I figured I was asking the experts. Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:31 PM

EvanKillham's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubigdomo View Post

-------
Thanks! And that makes sense; I'm sure Naughty Dog could justify its SEs for The Last of Us because they had so much Uncharted goodwill going on.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:09 PM

sigmadirk69's Flag is: United States New Hampshire

Went to preorder the Xbox One CE of it and it has been pulled already. Bummer
Old 10-02-2013, 02:32 AM

I_BE_WILL's Flag is: Australia

The Aiden Pearce statues are turning up in EB Games AUS stores for display, and they look pretty awesome. I can try to get pictures if anyone wants them?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:43 AM

Dr_Jengo's Flag is: Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_BE_WILL View Post
The Aiden Pearce statues are turning up in EB Games AUS stores for display, and they look pretty awesome. I can try to get pictures if anyone wants them?
Sure, please do!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:54 PM

sigmadirk69's Flag is: United States New Hampshire

anyone know where there are any collectors editions left to preorder?

for Xbox one

Last edited by mosavon; 10-06-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: 2 Posts Merged.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:24 AM

toxicatom5's Flag is: United States

Pretty sure that both amazon and best buy still have it up for xbox one. Think GameStop is the only place that isn't taking orders online right now.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:31 AM

I_BE_WILL's Flag is: Australia

Sorry guys, work got in the way