Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Lounge > General Collecting Chat

View Poll Results: Do you keep your Collectors Editions Sealed or do you open them
Keep them sealed 22 23.66%
Open them 32 34.41%
Bit of both 39 41.94%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2011, 05:58 PM

The Russian Bear's Flag is: UK
Default Sealed vs Open

I just wanted to gauge the amount of people who keep their CE's factory sealed for the resell value as opposed to people who open them and use the content.

Please elaborate the reasons why you do what you do below

Thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Staff Member

Biggav4000's Flag is: Wales NORTH WALES
Default Re: Sealed vs Open

Sealed everytime ,not just for the resale value,but i also think they look better on display in the factory packagking .
Old 05-02-2011, 06:09 PM

MrBubbles's Flag is: Netherlands The Netherlands

Most items in my collection are sealed. When I'm looking for an item which is not available in shops anymore I sometimes buy it without the seal (i.e. when it's ultra cheap)

I've been thinking of opening all my sealed games, but everytime I want to start I just can't do it for some reason. My heart cries a little I think.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:15 PM

Queen of Mudcrabs's Flag is: Norway Chorrol

I prefer to open them because I buy them in order to be able to actually use the stuff in it. Otherwise I would just buy the empty box on eBay and put it on display
Though I am planning on purchasing three copies of the Skyrim CE if it comes at a reasonable price.
One to open and play with,
one to keep sealed for years and years until it's market value has hit the roof,
and one to keep sealed on display forever and ever and ever and ever...
Feel free to visit the Mudcrabs Den! Check out my latest blog entry 'My reason for purposely avoiding Skyrim'! For an easy overview of new blog entries and other good stuff, like The Mudcrabs Den Facebook fan-page. The Mudcrabs Den also has a YouTube channel.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Interesting answers guys thanks

Personally I usually open the CE's i pre-order but tend to keep older CE's sealed as i usually have the standard/GOTY edition with all the content in anyway.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Social Network Liaison

Gemini-Phoenix's Flag is: UK Ipswich

Almost every single CE I own is sealed, with a few exceptions which came unsealed (Star Wars: Force Unleashed II for example)

I don't keep them sealed for future profit though - Well, that's not the primary reason. Rather, more to keep them in nice condition, where any game I am interested in actually playing I will buy a second, cheaper, standard copy. A lot of the bonus DLC in most newer CE's I can often obtain elsewhere, either from a friend or someone else who isn't interested in DLC, and a lot of the other tat that comes with CE's these days I can live without

SteelBooks can scratch really easily, ruining the paint job, and you're only going to re-seal them in some kind of poly bag anyway, so best to keep them sealed and maintain their value and just buy a standard copy to play. Obviously I will buy a CE on release day and then wait a few months until the standard version can be had for under a tenner on eBay
Old 05-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Social Network Liaison

Gemini-Phoenix's Flag is: UK Ipswich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggav4000 View Post
Sealed everytime ,not just for the resale value,but i also think they look better on display in the factory packagking .
Agreed, especialy those which come with figures. I can understand why people would remove these figures and dispaly them in a glass cabinet, but I prefer to keep all contents of a CE together in their original packaging so that they don't get misplaced or damaged. Plus they take up less space if kept together rather than separate

Also, one other thing I don't understand, is some people remove the contents and then discard the outer cardboard packaging and inserts of the CE! Eg, remove the Codex Edition and throw away the fantastic artwork box it came in! One reason why I prefer nice CE's like Far Cry 2 or the Fallout 3 lunchbox etc
Old 05-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Queen of Mudcrabs's Flag is: Norway Chorrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix View Post
Also, one other thing I don't understand, is some people remove the contents and then discard the outer cardboard packaging and inserts of the CE! Eg, remove the Codex Edition and throw away the fantastic artwork box it came in!
The box is part of the CE too. It is like buying a hot dog and then throw away the bread xD
I rarely throw away the plastic bags that holds smaller parts. I throw away the plastic wrap around the box and maybe shrink wrap that can't be re-used. I even kept those metal strings that keeps the Sam Fisher-figurine in place
Feel free to visit the Mudcrabs Den! Check out my latest blog entry 'My reason for purposely avoiding Skyrim'! For an easy overview of new blog entries and other good stuff, like The Mudcrabs Den Facebook fan-page. The Mudcrabs Den also has a YouTube channel.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 PM

Think the worse thing i've done to a CE was when i used the lunch box from the Fallout 3 CE as an actual lunch box. I had to buy another one since its full of dents now and i've lost the making of DVD and it smells of tuna. Bad times
Old 05-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Owner/Founder

twistedsymphony's Flag is: United States NH

I open all of my CEs, I do it so I can photograph them for you people

...otherwise I'd just keep most of them sealed.