Collectors Edition Forums

Go Back   Collectors Edition Forums > The Display Case > Video Game Collecting

Old 11-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Social Network Liaison

Gemini-Phoenix's Flag is: UK Ipswich
Default Collector's Editions getting out of hand! (An open request to video game publishers)

In the world of CE video game collecting, we have either enjoyed (or been plagued by, depending on how you perceive it) an increase of CE's being offered by video game publishers over the last few years. However, many collectors now feel somewhat overwhelmed physically, as well as financially, by the sheer quantity of CE's being released these days

We can't deny that 2008-2011 have had some amazing Collector's Editions on offer, although a lot of collectors do feel that most of them are unnecessay and nothing more than a cash-in on a trend which is starting to get out of control! Considering the world is currently supposed to be in economic recession, many feel that releasing a insanely expensive CE for every other major video game release is incredibly insensitive. Most collectors also feel as if their hobby is being taken advantage of by publishers these days, and very few publishers actually listen to what the fans and collectors actually request

It's not just about the financial pressures either. Storage space plays an important role for any collector, and there has been an increase of CE's lately which are seriously large and bulky, and difficult to store or display. Also, they are very difficult for retailers to ship, and many collectors regularly receive such things in less-than-perfect condition - I have personally received several large CE's which have all had the corners bashed in where they have obviously been dropped because of their size and weight!

Some recent examples of larger CE's include:

Call Of Duty: Black Ops (Prestige Edition)
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Prestige Edition)
Crysis 2 (Nano Edition)
Dead Rising 2 (CE)
Gears Of War 3 (Epic Edition)
Halo 3 (Legendary Edition)
Halo Reach (Legendary Edition)
InFamous 2 (Hero Edition)
Killzone 3 (Helghast Edition)
Resistance 3 (Survivor Edition)
The Elderscrolls V: Skyrim (CE)
Uncharted 3 (Explorer Edition)

And to a lesser extent:

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (Codex Edition)
Bioshock 2 (CE)
Dead Island (Treasure Edition)
Fallout: New Vegas (CE)
God Of War Trilogy (Pandora's Box)
GTA IV (CE)
Mortal Kombat (CE)

Do these publishers think us collectors live in a TARDIS or something?

Whilst we appreciate that the publishers are giving the fans and collectors something special, we feel that it's getting a little too much for even the most hardened collector to keep up with, especially towards the end of each year when every publisher seems to want to release their triple-A titles before the holiday season

To use this year (2011) as an example, November sees the release of some of the biggest titles of the year, which all seem to have an expensive and bulky CE available. The month starts off with titles such as Uncharted 3, Modern Warfare 3, and Skyrim, and finishes with several major releases from Nintendo. Needless to say, it's an expensive time of the year as it is already due to the approaching seasonal holiday, without factoring in being a CE collector!

It wouldn't be so bad if these Collector's Editions were smaller and less expensive. I remember a time when a newly released game would retail at around £35 with a Limited or Collector's Edition retailing at around £50. This was fine until some publishers decided to start releasing more elaborate editions and charging upwards of £80 for them. There was also a time when it was unheard of for a Collector's Edition to retail at above this price, but nowadays it seems acceptable to have an over-the-top CE priced at over £99.99!

The annoying thing about these is, we're tricked into thinking these are somewhat limited in number so that we pre-order before release, but within two or three weeks of release the unsold stock is reduced by half and sold off in the store sales! However, if we wait until after release for this to happen, Murphy's Law dictates that they will sell out on pre-orders, so we can't win either way! Either we pay a premium to secure ourselves a sought after CE, or we take the risk and wait until the retailers inevitably reduce the price and hope that they don't sell out before release...

As if that itself wasn't bad enough, some publishers feel the need to release more than one edition for a title. It is now commonplace to have two, three, or more editions available for one game, whether they be different tiered editions or store exclusives. Some recent titles which spring to mind are Fallout 3, the Assassin's Creed games, and the recently released Batman: Arkham City. Is there really any need for so many editions on the market at any given time?

In addition to this, many publishers have now adopted the tactic of releasing "Day One" Limited Editions - Limited copies of the game which may feature some DLC bonus for buying the game on release day rather than waiting until the price is reduced or buying it used. EA and THQ are the main culprits here, and it has gotten to the point where nearly every single game EA released in 2011 has had some form of "Day One" edition - Even FIFA!

Therefore, I would like to say on the behalf of all collectors: THE BUCK STOPS HERE!

It's nice to have a choice and all, but too much choice can be a bad thing. By all means release a Collector's Edition, but please keep it sensible and within a realistic budget for us collectors. Also, keep it a sensible size so we can store / display it properly on our shelves, rather than having to relegate it to the attic / basement / garden shed! Most people I know who originally bought the Crysis 2 Nano Edition have long since sold it due to the fact that they simply can't store something of that size!

I am so far looking forward to seeing what CE's 2012 brings, but part of me is also dreading it. If this year is anything to go by, I think I may end up going bankrupt before 2012 is out! The majority of my video game budget has gone mainly on CE's this year, leaving me very little spare to purchase "normal" games.

I'll finish with just a little something for publishers to think about for future reference - If I'm spending £130 on your overly excessive CE, that's effectively two other subsequent titles of yours I can't afford to buy. If you're wondering why sales of ABC and XYZ games are low, it's because I've already spent my monthly budget buying an elaborate CE for my collection...
Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Social Network Liaison

Default Re: Collector's Editions getting out of hand! (An open request to video game publishe

I will also add that a slightly edited version has been recently featured on Kotaku recently:

http://kotaku.com/5855205/extravagan...ame-collectors

It is actually quite interesting to read through some of the comments there, and surprisingly a lot of people agree that CE's are getting too out of hand! This actually surprises me, as I had expected lots of comments along the lines of "Nobody's forcing you to buy them" or "I don't see the point in paying all that money for extra crap I don't need"
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM

PPhantom's Flag is: Finland
Default Re: Collector's Editions getting out of hand! (An open request to video game publishe

I agree with you. The whole meaning behind CE's is fading away with games releasing 50 000 CE copies, priced 129 € / copy. Publishers see money everywhere and soon you'll end up with a situation just like Assassin's Creed, Black Edition, White Edition, Super Collector's Edition, Über Edition, Extreme crappy Edition, Mega Super Collectable Edition etc.

The sad part is, most collectors buy everything, just as long it says Collector's Edition on the cover.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 AM

AndyTheCollector's Flag is: Czech Republic Czech Republic

Man, I have to absolutly agree with all you wrote!!
My case is little bit different because I buy only CE's from my favourite series or RPG's CE's and only for PC. However this year is money killer for everyone collecting CE's without a doubt. As you said, CE's are getting much more bigger and more expensive and for what? For example Skyrim is totally overpriced and big as hell. I love figurines (especially dragons) and big artbooks, but that's almost everything in this CE and they want such a lot of money for it. They should create smaller and cheaper CE's in general, even with less content. I'm satisfied, if CE has following : 1) special packaking (steelbook, wooden chest, kind of book etc.) 2) artbook (must have for me) 3) soundtrack (2nd must have for me) and finally some special item related to given game (rings, figurines, necklaces, in-game items replicas etc.). In case of RPG's I also want a MAP in every single packaging! Of course CE can have more additional and special content, I would love it, but not for the price of ridiculous cost and even bigger packaging. I can understand it in cases like Witcher 2 Collector's Edition, the one with lot of quality and really nice content for affordable price (my was about 95 Euro). In this case the content and size is in direct proportion to price and that's I think the right way.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:10 PM

nipperkipper's Flag is: Great Britain Somewhere in Hyrule

You are absolutely right on both fronts, cost is definitely a problem but the bigger problem of the two is size - everytime a new CE gets delivered i can see the look on the faces of my family - they are getting more and more annoyed at the extra space im needing, i think i may be chucked out of the house soon
Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Social Network Liaison

What annoys me is, this month (November) sees a lot of the year's biggest releases, most of which have an expensive £100+ CE. Nintendo have also decided to release some of their biggest titles of the year this month as well, but I can't buy them because all of my funds have been zapped by these CE's

I can't even buy any "normal" games because these greedy publishers are taking advantage of my collecting nature!

And every year seems to keep getting worse and worse! There was a time when you'd maybe get a handful of SteelBooks or DigiPaks a year, but now it's as if there's a new CE released every week! I breathed a sigh of relief during the summer when it calmed down and I could actually browse eBay at my own leisure trying to get hold of all the great "normal" games I missed

I absolutely dread to think what 2012 is going to be like for CE's! Fingers crossed that game publishers take a step back and ease off on the CE releases
Old 11-03-2011, 05:19 PM

Solemn_In_Berlin's Flag is: Philippines Fort Frolic, Rapture
Send a message via Yahoo to Solemn_In_Berlin

I can live with not being able to buy every CE release. I don't buy collector's/special/limited non-regular editions because they're limited or they're called 'collector's editions', I buy them because they appeal to me.

For instance, I bought the Gran Turismo 5 Collector's Edition and the Driver San Francisco Collector Pack for two reasons: I'm a diecast collector but more importantly, I have always been and will always be a fan of these two franchises. In contrast, I'd never buy a Call of Duty CE even for the price of the standard edition because I'm not into FPS that much to begin with, but the bigger reason is because I despise Call of Duty.

What can I say?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:09 PM

Queen of Mudcrabs's Flag is: Norway Chorrol

"Do these publishers think us collectors live in a TARDIS or something?"

I almost spat tea all over my keyboard xD
Feel free to visit the Mudcrabs Den! Check out my latest blog entry 'My reason for purposely avoiding Skyrim'! For an easy overview of new blog entries and other good stuff, like The Mudcrabs Den Facebook fan-page. The Mudcrabs Den also has a YouTube channel.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:23 AM

AJLareneg's Flag is: United States California
Send a message via AIM to AJLareneg

I agree with a lot of your points here... I am not a super CE collector, but any game in a franchise I like I tend to buy their CE. I have a low budget that has been especially worse this year due to some surprise medical bills and it also happened to be the year every single franchise i super like got a new release AND a new CE.

Not to mention pretty much all of them got like 3 different releases also. Why do they need to make so many versions!? I also wish they would stop being so big. The inFamous 2 CE box is bigger than a PS3 box...and somehow that just seems wrong.

I guess I am lucky that the only game I am getting this holiday season was Uncharted 3... which also came in a huge box. ._.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:52 AM

Lemur's Flag is: Singapore

I think the problem is also that some of the stuff they chuck into the CEs turns out to be cheap junk. I don't mind paying for some quality stuff but not some lousy junk.

Like the dead space replica plasma cutter, that was total bullshit. I'd be ashamed to even display that cos it looks like some crappy $1 toy