PDA

View Full Version : The best, and worst, LE's and CE's

Gemini-Phoenix
03-13-2010, 07:23 PM
It seems today it's almost inevitable that every other major release receives somekind of LE or CE SKU alongside the regular edition, sometimes receiving two or three depending on store exclusivity. So with the impending release of the God Of War Trilogy box set for PS3, I thought it would be a good idea to discuss what our favourite, and least favourite, LE's and CE's were...

On the one hand you have quality products, which leave you in awe. On the other, cash-in marketing tat. There are some good LE's / CE's, and then there are some bad ones which leave you with a sense of disappointment, and then there are some down-right ugly ones which are only of interest to hardcore collector's! Plus, with these kinds of things often costing much more than the regular edition, you sometimes want to feel like you've gotten your moneys worth of bonuses. There are some nicely crafted editions out there specifically created with the fans and collector's in mind, but then there are others which have been devised simply to take advantage whilst not offering much in return for their cost, or by offering an inferior product than that which was expected

Personally, I have always been a big fan of SteelBook's. As far as I'm concerned, anything in a SteelBook is a good edition to me, although I do feel as if this is a cheap 'last minute' choice, and is often favoured by online retailers in order to secure an exclusive. They're highly collectible though, so they have that going for them, and take up very little shelf space, although they can be easily damaged

Then there are others where I think "Why bother?" - Fable II is one such game, where we were initially teased with all sorts of wondrous bonus items only for them to be taken away one by one and left with a virtually generic 'slightly-better-than standard' edition - I don't like the 'if only' feeling that this edition projects. There are also others where the publisher has slapped a cardboard slipcover on a regular edition of a game, include an additional online code card, and touted it as being a glorious LE! That's just lack of effort in my book.

Another thing is the packaging used. Many LE's and CE's today comein flimsy packaging, and it can be quite hard to receive a decent perfect example even on day one due to online retailers opting for substandard and inadequate shipping packaging materials, often resulting in your pre-ordered LE/ CE arriving damaged. Some retailers are notorious for this, and some LE / CE packaging is more easily damaged than others (Such as the recently released Final Fantasy XIII compared to the more sturdy Bioshock II)

So what LE's and CE's have had an impact on you, either for better or for worse? Which stand out for one reason or another aside from their aesthetical appearance?

I was impressed with some of the following:

Some of the best...

Alone In The Dark (X360 / Wii) ~ A lot of people slate this set, but I personally think it's a nice collection of items, and it was reasonably priced at launch as well. A shame that the PS3 version was heavily delayed and didn't receive anywhere near the recognition
Bioshock II (PS3 / X360) ~ Perhaps one of the finest examples of a CE to date! Lots of nice memorabilia and merch, housed in a very sturdy box! Even though you may never use half of the items included, they're still nice to set the mood for the game!
Fallout III (Lunchbox) (PS3 / X360) ~ Lots of nice items bundled together in a contextual piece. Lots of thought seems to have gone into this edition
Far Cry II (PS3 / X360 / Wii) ~ A very sturdy box full of lots of nice items relating to the game. One of the more solid CE's
GTA IV (PS3 / X360) ~ Perhaps one of my favourites, and the CE which raised the bar. Not only is there a metal safety deposit box, but also a huge bag, artwork book, and soundtrack Cd! It was also reasonably priced from launch too!
Haze (PS3) ~ A very nice pre-order tin to house the game, plus a vial. Simple, but looks amazing!
New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii) ~ A special moulded tin which doubles as a money box! What makes this more special is the fact that Nintendo don't often offer LE's or CE's, so this is a nice collectible piece to have
The Godfather (PS2) ~ Not only do you get a SteelBook, but also a pre-order tin which is decorated inside like a coffin with satin. One of my personal favourites!
The Legend Of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS) ~ An extranagence for just a DS game, but this comes in a huge 'biscuit tin' with a pair of figurines. Again, a nice Nintendo collectible to have!

And disappointed by these for being less than expected or just poor workmanship:

Some of the worst...

Aliens Vs Predator: Hunter Edition (PS3 / X360) ~ Flimsy box, brittle and fragile Facehugger. Redeemed by the sparse bonuses, but generally got the feeling it wasn't worth the asking price
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3 / X360) ~ Cheap plastic moulded toy. Looks good in publicity shots, but they're very deceiving. Looks nice from a distance, seems a waste of effort up close
Call Of Duty V: World At War (PS3 / X360) ~ The tin for this CE is very nice, but the canteen contained inside is cheaply made and poor quality. I feel that this edition was also not worth the asking price at launch
Fable II (X360) ~ Originally slated to include a plethora of goodies, these were deducted one by one apparently due to production / manufacturing issues. Collector's were disappointed
Halo III: Legendary Edition (X360) ~ Biggest disappointment yet. They missed a trick by not including the actual Halo III CE tin pack. It's bulky and certainly not worth the launch asking price
Modern Warfare II: Prestige Edition (PS3 / X360) ~ The second biggest disappointment. Looks cool, but didn't get the praise it deserved due to cheap tacky 'toy' night vision goggles, where many people were deceived thinking they would be of a higher quality. Most certainly not worth the £120 asking price at launch!
Saints Row II (Gun pack) (PS3 / X360) ~ A victim of political correctness and safety councils. Originallt touted to contain an actual plastic moulded replica gun, restrictions meant that they could only include some cheap moulded packaging. Looks good, and the other bonuses are enough to justify the cost, but collector's got a sense of disappointment from this one
Street Fighter IV (PS3 / X360) ~ For the initial asking price, this set was a huge disappointment. Even more so in America where they only had one figure per console rather than both.

scourdx
03-14-2010, 08:08 AM
I have to agree the quality of the recent collector edition is disappointing. I find a lot of publisher opt to give out exclusive DLC than giving us more physical items. Even with physical item, either it is too small or they are too cheaply made. I feel that most CE aren't even worth the money giving the amount of content you are getting.

One thing I always find annoying is that content shown on picture may not look correct once you get them.

Here are some of my best & worst CE/LE/SE

Best

Neverwinter Night
World of Warcraft & expansion
Warcraft 3
Bioshock 2

Worst

Halo Wars - Some Halo fans may suggest this is an awesome CE because of the 3 exclusive map. I find the item that comes with CE & $80 price tag is too much.
Call Of Duty V: World At War - I agree the canteen is small & useless
Resident Evil 5 - Box is cheaply made with not impressive item & small figurine. The starting price tag of $90 is not what you want to pay. The Japanese version got a chainsaw USB for crying out loud
Street Fighter 4 - Small figurine & extra DVD for $80. Not what you want to pay. Capcom make your figurine bigger!

Best Price

Devil Summoner 2 with plushies PS2 starting at $39.99
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony Limited Edition - XSeed is no Working Design, but the stuff came with the game plus the price at $39.99 is a good deal. Consider a lot of PSP game is set at $39.99.

Worst Price

Halo 3 Legendary Edition - $120 for plastic helmet and subpar game case
Dragon Age Origin & Mass Effect 2 - Bioware should learn from their past CE like Balder Gate & Neverwinter Night. Both game is priced at $80 price tag. I guess EA call the shot.

twistedsymphony
03-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Best: 3
Dead Space Ultra Limited Edition - It's autographed by the creator, comes in a nice sturdy case with a nice hard cover art book... and it's actually LIMITED (only 1000 made)... amazing. Expensive yes but we're not buying these things for a bargain.

Grand Theft Auto IV - The Bundled items were of good quality, I was particularly impressed with the R* keychain, small, also just the whole package together with the deposit box, duffle bag, keys and key chain, it's functional and fits the game well, the box art is really nice too and it's a high quality displayable box.

Getting Up: Release for the Xbox 1 & PS2 it came in a nice tin case, presentation inside the case was well thought out, it also came with a notebook and a sharpie encouraging you to create your own grafitti and a soundtrack with the games really unique hip hop (all tracks that are unreleased anywhere else and all by mainstream artists)... consider it came out before the whole CE fad really took off, it's an amazing CE to own... the soundtrack is even in regular rotation in my car.

--------
3 Near Misses: Almost perfect CEs

Bioshock 2: big hard cover art-book, nice sturdy box, an actual Vinyl soundtrack.. attention to detail in the unboxing process... all awesome, it loses points because of the stupid sleeved CD soundtrack and the papery sleeve over the high quality box.

Halo 3 Legendary Edition: you guysare slagging on this one but really it had most of the markers of a great CE, a really high-quality displayable box, the un-boxing experience was really well thought out (something that is lacking with most CEs)... I don't know how many of you noticed but the helmets are actually numbered which is welcome in ANY CE IMO... it loses points because of the game case being a regular plastic case rather than the metal case from the Limited Edition, also from the fact that they FLOODED the market with these making them so readily available that they actually sold for less money new than the Limited edition at some point... sad really. Far be it from me to ding them for the price... if it was actually limited... it'd be worth every penny.

Batman: Arkham Asylum: Again, not going to slag on it for the price, I thought the case was awesome, I thought the unboxing presentation was really well done too, I especially liked the faux-leather bound notebook with the criminal details. This failed on 2 points... the first being the poor quality baterang that looked good in pictures but looked cheesey in person, if they had at very very least made it separate from the holder it would have been 1000 times better. Or even still ditched the holder and ha made people display it in the bat shaped case, that would have been even better IMO, even if it was made of plastic. The other problem with this was again, over-flooding of the market with the CE release... even months after it came out I can still go to a store and see these things on the shelves at walmart discounted $30... flooding the market like that is a total slap in the face to collectors.

--------
3 Biggest Disappointments:
I can't say "worst" because IMO for a CE to actually be bad you would have to go out of your way to get the regular edition over the CE... maybe not worth the money yes, but I can't think of any that are actually BAD. So instead I'll list the CEs where we were promised the moon and delivered dirt.

Stranglehold CE for Xbox360 - The PS3 version got a copy of HardBoiled on Blu-Ray for the same price, they never bothered to include anything to make up for that on the 360... the case was pretty much identical to the regular edition except for some metalic flake in the ink... at least Europe got a steelbook. The bonus DVD was in a paper sleeve shoved in next to the manual... pretty much you paid $15 for a poorly made documentary DVD without even it's own case. Considering if you bought the PS3 edition in europe you got a nice steelbook with a full length Blu-Ray movie AND the documentary... the US 360 version owners got HOSED...

Fable II LE: Advertised as a nice big lavish case with a plushie, bonus DVDs, etc... the end result was essentially a glorified slip-case edition. I suppose it was to be expected since with the game itself they promised the moon and delivered only a fraction of what they said they would.

Resident Evil 5: What happened to the fake vile of the T-Virus we were promised? the nice looking tri-fold case with the game the vile and some other goodies? they got it in Japan... just not anywhere else. instead we got a cheap paper box with the game disc and a bunch of random crap that I don't think anyone was actually interested in. Really, a necklace with Africa pendant? a crappy 1" tall figurine... a poorly constructed messanger bag, the only worthwhile item in the box was the BSAA patch... I want my damn T-virus vile!

Gemini-Phoenix
03-16-2010, 11:38 AM
In my opinion, some LE's and CE's are too big. They're hard to store, too big to buy and sell easily privately, and prone to damage. The Assassin's Creed 1 & 2, and Metal Gear Solid IV CE's with figures are prime examples, and to a lesser extent the Fallout III, Bioshock, and Avatar sets with smaller figures. Others, like Bioshock II, Alone In The Dark, and GTA IV are just too bulky or heavy, so again not ideal.

To me, the perfect blend of bonuses and size / weight are things like Mass Effect 1 & 2, Forza 2 & 3, Gears Of War 1 & 2 etc. They're about the size of two or three standard games, and compact enough to send cheaply, but feature lots of decent things such as an artwork book and soundtrack CD and maybe bonus Dvd with added bonuses. SteelBook's are also perfect.

twistedsymphony
03-16-2010, 02:52 PM
I agree... Forza 3 is a perfect case IMO if they included a SteelBook game case inside it would IMO be a perfect game release.

The region 1 release of MGS4 was very similar too...

--------

I personally don't mind the big cases, but that's mostly because I picked up a huge shelf from Ikea and can display all my big box games on it... :D

if you have an ikea near you the shelf was called "LACK" and it was only like $60 fits everything but my NBA 2K10 box.

03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
I think every CE done by Blizzard is just amazing!

Diablo II CE
World of Warcraft CE (and expansions)

I hope there will be a Diablo III CE as well as the next WoW expansion (by the way, I've never played WoW, I do however love the CE goodies :)

The Ultima IX CE was great, especially since it included Ultima I - VIII + Akalabeth!

Most recently, I have to admit that the Bioshock 2 CE is special. Huge, and unique!

As for most disappointing CE, I would have to say Oblivion. Supposedly it had a nicer packaging and some (cheaply made) coin (who cares) plus a making-of DVD... big yippee.

cheers,

-astropi

twistedsymphony
04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Oblivion wasn't bad... it came in a typical digiPak case and the paper map and coin were kind of cool. it also came with a good sized booklet explaining a lot of the different aspects of the game world which I thought was a cool addition.

I did lose the coin though since it didn't really fit in the box and there was no good place to keep it. :(

I mean it only cost $10 more than the regular edition and it came with a lost of bonuses.