PDA

View Full Version : No wonder GAME went bust

kennyrh
01-18-2013, 09:33 PM
I have to wonder if the people who run GAME are raving loonies or just blindly arrogant. Anybody with half a brain could see they had too many retail outlets . . .everybody except the management, apparently.

So they come back from the dead having, it seems, learned no lessons at all. Their instore prices stink for a start and now the online seems to have put the dunce cap on as well.

They couldn't sell the crapola Resident Evil 6 CE in the sale for 60 pounds so what's their response ??

Stick it up to 65 quid. *Sigh* I'll never understand retail strategy . . .:banghead:

Cosmic_Link
01-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Not to mention they have cut the postage cost budget and their packaging has gotten REALLY shit!

Now they want to purchase some of the HMV retail locations.

We'll see how this goes... :facepalm:

SwiftDeath
01-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Wait so just so I'm clear on this

Play.com
HMV

AND now

Game

Have gone bankrupt?

Cosmic_Link
01-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Nah, HMV are in Administration ATM. Play.com Dont want to pay VAT so are closing their retail section of the site. GAME UK were saved from total collapse last year and now plan to purchase HMV retail locations.

GAME UK are still running, but they're shit! Lol

ferrari100
01-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

SwiftDeath
01-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Still UK game retailers seem to suck at doing business :rotf:

Maybe they should get on that?

Gamestop in the US makes money hand over fist

I mean their revenue for selling used games is in the billions of dollars a year

Don't really consider that a good thing but at least gamestop ain't going anywhere

kennyrh
01-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Yeah I was laughing my arse off when I heard about the proposed HMV purchase. So you've got a firm that went bust because they had too many retail outlets wanting to buy a firm who are going bust because they can't make their retail outlets pay.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . .:think::scratch:

Tater
01-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm left bemused at the pricing at times, but there is logic behind it.

As for the HMV thing. If there's a store available in a location you have no presence, it's worth consideration at least surely?

Gazereths
01-19-2013, 04:43 PM
I honestly can't see a good ending for GAME if they buy more retail outlets, online is the future......Damn let's face it, it's the present. All of us here (who represent the hardcore gamers/collectors community pretty well) already buy 90% of our stuff online.

Nightbane
01-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Last thing I purchased from them was a World of warcraft keyboard on sale for ?30, usually sold for around ?50 in most places so thats all they are good for.

I honestly dont understand why they are still trying to force retails outlets, infact they just closed 2/3 stores they had in my city so buying hmv seems like a backwards step.

I guess they have some fantastic deals if you are smart and sign up for email price drops, I still kick myself for missing out on new copies of Wrath of the lich king collectors edition for like ?14 new :(

kennyrh
01-20-2013, 12:00 PM
One thing that GAME and HMV have in common is that they are either too lazy or too arrogant to check other people's prices and amend those prices in order to remain competetive.

I'm not saying that there's no bargains to be had - I've found plenty - but I'm not your average punter.

GAME used prices really need sorting out because, in my locality, both CEX and Grainger Games beat them hands down. And their Wii U instore prices at launch were absolutely ludicrous.

CEX, for instance, had a great Christmas retail because they actually reduced a lot of their used prices and both the stores in my area had their stocks wiped out. Of course, they have the advantage of people being able to trade in all their old technology, DVDs etc.

Maybe that's a business strategy that GAME and HMV (if they survive) should have a look at. Things are changing on the high street and they need to change with it.

Gazereths
01-20-2013, 01:21 PM
You can trade in games/blrays/consoles and DVD's at my local HMV and GAME.....But the prices they pay are hardly worth bothering with, it was the same with blockbuster.

Actually I'm not sure about DVD's at GAME, but you definitely can at HMV, they have a used DVD section.

kennyrh
01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah but they give you dick-all for 'em. CEX are the only one's that'll give you cash for DVDs and they accept phones, game accessories etc for actual cash.

Nightbane
01-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Whenever I used to trade in games I would get the prices from CEX, then go to gamestation so they had to match them and beat them by ?1. The fact that cex actually tell you online what prices you can get means they are streets ahead of game.

Really regret trading in so many things in the years gone by, but that is just what everyone did at school to get new games :(

evilvort3x
01-20-2013, 02:38 PM
in all fairness some of you guys must have not been in game recently? they have actually had pretty good deals on quite alot of stuff and normally i criticise them. they seem to be getting better than they used to be. Can only be a good thing surely?

kennyrh
01-21-2013, 07:55 PM
in all fairness some of you guys must have not been in game recently? they have actually had pretty good deals on quite alot of stuff and normally i criticise them. they seem to be getting better than they used to be. Can only be a good thing surely?

As i said in an earlier post, there are certainly bargains to be had. My main problem with GAME and HMV is that they don't seem to study prices elsewhere which makes them look both dumb and overpriced in many areas.

I shop at GAME as much as anywhere but they really need to get their act together because they are not competitive, particularly on used stuff in general.

evilvort3x
01-21-2013, 08:52 PM
yea i understand that. very true on what you said. Just wish they would be a bit lower priced to start with