PDA

View Full Version : price decline of ce's

Sylfaris
01-30-2013, 05:57 AM
Hey folks,

just thought about some ce's; wether they'r wotrh buying or not. What do you guess? There are some examples:

- Alien: Colonial Marines - now counts 99 ? i guess this prive will drop to at least 60 ? (amazon.de) an there will be a lot available in one year.

- Tombraider CE - now counts 99 ? but i think it will also drop for about the half and of course it will available in one year.

- God of War: Ascension CE: as most of the GoW games proved they will raise in price and wont be available in the future for less than teir starting price

What do you guess? (Well you could make a game out of it, or take this as a serious thread - your choice)

Sometimes i'm still not sure if it's worth buying it @ release . . .

Xmo
01-30-2013, 07:46 AM
After started collecting last year and experiencing the Borderlands 2 release, I must say that preordering is definitely the best indication weather a CE will depreciate or you hitting the jackpot.
It is also a good way for you in choosing what you buy since you can always cancel the CE and decide later.

comaamen86
01-30-2013, 08:44 AM
neither here nor there, its impossible to predict unless it is numbered and you have a very good idea of fanbase and deman. you may be able to tell then if it will hold value

finally my advice as long as you are buying for keeps, just pay the price your are happy paying, that simple and do not look back if price drops as you were happy with the price you paid

vhal_x
01-30-2013, 10:37 AM
finally my advice as long as you are buying for keeps, just pay the price your are happy paying, that simple and do not look back if price drops as you were happy with the price you paid

Amen to that! xx

LowlyAssassin
01-30-2013, 12:03 PM
neither here nor there, its impossible to predict unless it is numbered and you have a very good idea of fanbase and deman. you may be able to tell then if it will hold value

Coma has got really wise all of a sudden
All he speaks is truth and wisdom in every thread I read
I'm impressed to say the least

Lemur
01-30-2013, 01:57 PM
That just means the coma posting nowadays is a FAKE!!!! :barsong:

comaamen86
01-30-2013, 02:44 PM
That just means the coma posting nowadays is a FAKE!!!! :barsong:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VFbHawlfZqw/T7Y3RIQ0z2I/AAAAAAAAHzY/gx1FdQ-Zzds/s1600/Cookie-Monster-Interview-w-Ella-Reveals-the-Om-Nom-Nom-Nom-Nom-Meme.jpg

hey it may happen less than a eclipse, but i can be sensible sometimes

twistedsymphony
01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Hey folks,

just thought about some ce's; wether they'r wotrh buying or not. What do you guess? There are some examples:

- Alien: Colonial Marines - now counts 99 ? i guess this prive will drop to at least 60 ? (amazon.de) an there will be a lot available in one year.

- Tombraider CE - now counts 99 ? but i think it will also drop for about the half and of course it will available in one year.

- God of War: Ascension CE: as most of the GoW games proved they will raise in price and wont be available in the future for less than teir starting price

What do you guess? (Well you could make a game out of it, or take this as a serious thread - your choice)

Sometimes i'm still not sure if it's worth buying it @ release . . .

Things that cause value to go up:
-low production numbers (the lower the production the higher the value)
-exclusivity from a specific store (especially if it's online order only)
-if the game is in the RPG Genre or Adventure Genre
-if it is for a new franchise that has the potential to increase in popularity after it is released

things that cause the value to go down:
-if the CE is available at every store (this usually indicates that production will be very high)
-if the CE is a for a franchise that is very popular and has sold very well in the past and production is NOT limited (this usually indicates that they will overproduce the CE)
-if the CE is for a genre or franchise that gets a new release just about every year (this usually indicates that the uniqueness of the CE will wear off quickly and also devalue)
-if the packaging or items aren't very special (ie: regular plastic case, paper sleeves for bonus discs, or DLC instead of physical content)

Given the above, I would say most of the releases you listed will either be cheaper after release or hover right around release value for a while.

99% of value is based on this equation:

value = (popularity)/(quantity available)

most of what I listed above are the factors that effect quantity or popularity... for instance if a release is only available via pre-order through 1 store, then the quantity is going to be lower even if it's not intentionally limited because not everyone will know about the release...

Similarly, if a new franchise is released a lot of people might hold-off on buying until reviews have come up, by this time production of the CE has stopped and if the game becomes popular the popularity will skyrocket while the quantity remains stagnant, thus increasing the value. This is also why games in the RPG/Adventure genre are good bets for increased value, because 5 years down the road people will still be going back to play the old releases... and the popularity continues to grow over a long period of time. Compare that with a sports game, no one gives a shit about FIFA 2005 anymore... maybe there was a super limited release but no new fans are going back and playing it...

Xmo
01-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Things that cause value to go up:
-low production numbers (the lower the production the higher the value)
-exclusivity from a specific store (especially if it's online order only)
-if the game is in the RPG Genre or Adventure Genre
-if it is for a new franchise that has the potential to increase in popularity after it is released

things that cause the value to go down:
-if the CE is available at every store (this usually indicates that production will be very high)
-if the CE is a for a franchise that is very popular and has sold very well in the past and production is NOT limited (this usually indicates that they will overproduce the CE)
-if the CE is for a genre or franchise that gets a new release just about every year (this usually indicates that the uniqueness of the CE will wear off quickly and also devalue)
-if the packaging or items aren't very special (ie: regular plastic case, paper sleeves for bonus discs, or DLC instead of physical content)

nice collecting 101 tips.