PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your collectibles?

TMM
01-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Hi,

There are so many 'types of people' in this world, and I think collecting gets split up into all of these different personality types. One of the biggest things in that respect isn't so much 'What do you collect?' but often 'How do you keep it?'

For example, I personally have to open things and to have a look at everything. Either looking at the fine detail on a statue, or checking out the articulation on an action figure. I then put these items on display (depending on the item).

So here are my habits:

I keep boxes in as pristine shape as I can - if they are sealed with tape, I'll use a knife to cut the tape.

I'll take everything out and have a look at it all, flick through the artbooks or play around with the statue to check out all of the detail.

I'll put the statues on display, I have a few sideboards in my living room covered in statues from games (or separately bought merchandise).

I'll then put the loose items back in the box and store the box away (usually in the roof/attic space) that way nothing gets damaged and is kept all together.

Then I'll file the game away alphabetically with all of the others - whether it is a steelbook, or a normal DVD Box.

As a big Transformers collector I also have 3 bookcases and a glass cabinet dedicated to the franchise. All of the toys are in robot mode and in the sections based on their release - A 2007 movie shelf, a G1 Autobot shelf, a Kre-O shelf etc.

So, there's some of my habits... How do you guys keep your collectables?

Regards
TMM

vhal_x
01-30-2013, 08:12 PM
I don't keep any CEs sealed, unless it's one I've just been too busy to open/never got round to, or if it's an empty preorder bonus steelbook.

When opening, I carefully tear open cellophane and bin it. If any stickers (such as ratings or "___ demo inside") are on the cellophane, I carefully cut round them and keep them inside the CE/steelbook.

If sealed with tape, I carefully cut, if sealed with circle stickers, I peel (unless REALLY stuck down, then I'll cut).

I have a look through everything in the CE, and then if there is a statue inside that I want to display, I will take that out and display it alongside the outerbox - unless the outerbox is massive, then it goes away into storage in one of my wardrobes (if they go into the wardrobe, I bag them first to protect from dust/damage). Games stay inside the CE box until in use, if frequently used, they usually end up in my standard games shelf, but I always know which CE they've come from.

I have lots of shelves (albeit not enough to house all of my collection), so I have some shelves which are for specific franchises, and some which are just general shelves. I don't collect for one specific franchise, so a lot of my collection is mix and match, but I think it fits well :) xx

Redmagster
01-30-2013, 08:30 PM
I am sad to say that I have next to no space to display my collection but I love it all the same...

I ope my collector editions as I like to see every part but part of me weeps as I break the seals!!! :rotf: My family have always laughed at me at Christmas as I open my presents very carefully peeling the sellotape back slowly, take out the present and enjoy seeing what it is then carefully pack it back up again... I am like it with my collection

All my steelbooks are in plastic sleeves and boxed by type so I can enjoy them my collector editions are all stacked carfelly in the spare room and my figurines are on display all round the house

I do have - shock horror! - a crouching Altair sitting under the eaves on a ledge in my attic bedroom where I see him every morning and every night - colelctibles are there to enjoy :)

TMM
01-31-2013, 08:45 AM
Hi guys,

I am glad I'm not the only one who has to look at every little detail of the packaging and contents! :)

vhal_x: Someone I know did a similar thing with stickers on the packaging - if it was a DVD or CD for example, they would peel the sticker from the film and stick it onto the inside of the case - somewhere where it wouldn't get damaged or damage the product.

Redmagster: Again, I've seen people do similar things - I knew someone who kept all the wrapping paper so it could be reused, so they carefull picked things open and laid the paper out flat!

I guess we all have our quirks!

Regards
TMM

Dreamcazman
02-01-2013, 11:26 AM
I open my CE's in order for me to play the game. I have a few CE's that are rare that I keep sealed, in those cases I also have a standard copy of the game to play.

I cut the seals, I don't like peeling off circle seal labels as I'm shit scared it'll lift up the paint and/or rip the box. I make the exception if it's on a clear plastic sleeve or metal case.

With the CE's that I do open, like you guys I flick through the stuff, download any bonus DLC, display the statue or figurine (if the CE comes with one) and put any other stuff back in the box and store in the cupboard (with kiddie locks) so they don't get damaged. I have kids and as much as I love them, they ain't touching my game collection! :nono:

I have my steelbooks stored in plastic sleeves, I also have a collection of guides, the majority of them I keep sealed and stored in a cupboard also.

Call me anal, but I treat all my CE's with as much care as I can. I don't like handling them too much as I want to keep everything as minty fresh as possible.

kittychloe
02-01-2013, 08:25 PM
In a big burlap sack with $ on it

Or scattered all over the place

KyleGM
02-10-2013, 07:44 PM
I am sad to say that I have next to no space to display my collection but I love it all the same...

I ope my collector editions as I like to see every part but part of me weeps as I break the seals!!! :rotf: My family have always laughed at me at Christmas as I open my presents very carefully peeling the sellotape back slowly, take out the present and enjoy seeing what it is then carefully pack it back up again... I am like it with my collection

All my steelbooks are in plastic sleeves and boxed by type so I can enjoy them my collector editions are all stacked carfelly in the spare room and my figurines are on display all round the house

I do have - shock horror! - a crouching Altair sitting under the eaves on a ledge in my attic bedroom where I see him every morning and every night - colelctibles are there to enjoy :)

That's exactly my method with the CE! haha I love looking and seeing everything inside but once I do, I pack it all away carefully then leave it on display never to be touched again xD

Dr_Jengo
02-11-2013, 07:49 AM
My ideal way of keeping them would be to display everything out of their boxes.

At the current place, I don't have the space to do that so mostly packed back onto their boxes once I open to see the stuff and take photos of them for my blog.

Just waiting for the day I move into my own place, sometime end of this yr hopefully where I'm gonna do up a transparent display to put them all up. Can't wait for that day man..

Platfus
02-12-2013, 07:36 AM
My collection must fit into about 5 bookshelves, otherise I would have to stop colldcting :D Agdfgv want own flat/house :D

Sent from my P350 Cyanogenmod 7 using Tapatalk

rapidly-greying
02-12-2013, 11:00 AM
I generally open all mine and store them neatly on various items of furniture.

The wife hates it all and she's really starting to do my head in.

Redmagster
02-12-2013, 11:05 AM
I generally open all mine and store them neatly on various items of furniture.

The wife hates it all and she's really starting to do my head in.

What's wrong with her - you did say neatly?!?

thinkforgetfull
02-27-2013, 11:06 PM
maybe I'm resurrecting the thread but eh.

I never keep things mint in box. I can't see the point of buying something JUST to have it. ( despite almost doing that with an infamous 2 hero edition - I don't have a ps3...) statues get displayed on my bookcase, cool things like steelbooks get put im a game rack, or if it is a really nice looking one (zone of the enders HD for example....) it gets popped open and stood up on the bookcase I mentioned earlier. guide books either get files in the bookcase shelves, or under the glass panel in my desk (there is space for about 13 books the size of the halo 4 limited guide. big boxes like the zavvi MGSHD collection get stored in a cupboard. i remove books etc, but the box and the Tshirt ( still using MGSHD as an example) are in the cupboard, as I'm too chubby to wear that shirt. :(
special boxes, like the borderlands 2 loot chest (I have one coming - due soon) will be placed on my OTHER bookcase shelves.

Redmagster
02-27-2013, 11:08 PM
maybe I'm resurrecting the thread but eh.

I never keep things mint in box. I can't see the point of buying something JUST to have it. ( despite almost doing that with an infamous 2 hero edition - I don't have a ps3...) statues get displayed on my bookcase, cool things like steelbooks get put im a game rack, or if it is a really nice looking one (zone of the enders HD for example....) it gets popped open and stood up on the bookcase I mentioned earlier. guide books either get files in the bookcase shelves, or under the glass panel in my desk (there is space for about 13 books the size of the halo 4 limited guide. big boxes like the zavvi MGSHD collection get stored in a cupboard. i remove books etc, but the box and the Tshirt ( still using MGSHD as an example) are in the cupboard, as I'm too chubby to wear that shirt. :(
special boxes, like the borderlands 2 loot chest (I have one coming - due soon) will be placed on my OTHER bookcase shelves.

I LOVE hearing from people who enjoy their stuff :) :beer:

thinkforgetfull
02-27-2013, 11:15 PM

I've been gaming since I was a wee small thing.. got my first special edition thing when i was young - pikachu yellow gameboy color. which was followed up by the pichu gold GBA when gold was released. those things are so close to my heart that they will NEVER be just display items or sold.

also, have a drink back.:beer:

Redmagster
02-27-2013, 11:19 PM
I've been gaming since I was a wee small thing.. got my first special edition thing when i was young - pikachu yellow gameboy color. which was followed up by the pichu gold GBA when gold was released. those things are so close to my heart that they will NEVER be just display items or sold.

also, have a drink back.:beer:

Good to hear!! Love Pika pika pikachu...

comaamen86
02-27-2013, 11:41 PM

wanna hear how i enjoy drippy

Redmagster
02-27-2013, 11:55 PM
wanna hear how i enjoy drippy

Noooooooooooooooo...... :swoon:

Xmo
02-28-2013, 12:01 AM
All of my collection are now packed inside boxes and placed underneath my bed :/

Redmagster
02-28-2013, 12:03 AM
All of my collection are now packed inside boxes and placed underneath my bed :/

Wish I had more room.... :( I have boxes at my office, stacked in the spare room, in my cupboards... Sometimes I just go through it all.... :nea:

Xmo
02-28-2013, 12:05 AM
Wish I had more room.... :( I have boxes at my office, stacked in the spare room, in my cupboards... Sometimes I just go through it all.... :nea:

Let me store it for you
I'll send you my address if you want :D

Xmo
02-28-2013, 12:07 AM

Good thing your collection is secured though

Redmagster
02-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Let me store it for you
I'll send you my address if you want :D

Can I bring it over?!? You got a lot of room under your bed then?!?... ;) :lmao:

Xmo
02-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Can I bring it over?!? You got a lot of room under your bed then?!?... ;) :lmao:

No more space. I some empty shelvings where my collection used to sit though :(
I'm thinking putting books in it.

Redmagster
02-28-2013, 12:12 AM
No more space. I some empty shelvings where my collection used to sit though :(
I'm thinking putting books in it.

So why is it all boxed now??? :(

Xmo
02-28-2013, 12:16 AM
So why is it all boxed now??? :(

you know what, to tell you the truth... to control the addiction LOL
Although it kinda backfired because now I'm slowly starting to collect movie steelbooks. I just ordered like 5 steelbooks from vhal :suicide:

Redmagster
02-28-2013, 12:17 AM
you know what, to tell you the truth... to control the addiction LOL
Although it kinda backfired because now I'm slowly starting to collect movie steelbooks. I just ordered like 5 steelbooks from vhal :suicide:

It is addictive... And there is always more... Guess we all have to learn our limits. I'm still learning that :)

comaamen86
02-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Noooooooooooooooo...... :swoon:

dont worry its not filthy

i read drippy a page from the wizzards book and give him a glass of warm milk each night, then i softly whisper in his ear mags did not love you enough to keep you, then throw him against the wall.

Twisted
03-03-2013, 06:06 AM
unfortunately a majority of the items i have are still sitting in there shipping cardboard boxes..first and foremost..i am having serious health issues, that prevent me from looking at and enjoying my collection..that being said..i am a sealed collector..so i would not open up my collectors editions anyways...if i want to play the game..i would probably wait to buy a spare copy once it's on sale...but overall..i like the "like new" look and feeling of a sealed box..i also strive for as mint as possible...i'also feel like i am getting steelbook fatigue..i feel like it's loosing a bit of it's allure..since there coming out in such a rapid pace.almost becoming a common item...i'm not sure about it's collectability in the long run..since these days there making thousands and there mostly easily obtainable..or available on secondary markets...compared to the exclusiveness that steelbook felt like 3 years ago or so.