PDA

View Full Version : Preserving Receipts?!

Texas Fire
03-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Hello everyone! First, I didn't really know where to put this topic. I figured it would go here or possibly off topic, but eh, idk. Anywho, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to preserve receipts? By that, I mean keeping the ink on them from fading out over time. Anything and everything gaming related, I hold on to the receipt for each item. However it's safe to say that some have faded over the decades. Any ideas on how to prevent this? I keep mine in a dark area, free from moisture or anything...Still no luck on soooooome...
Thanks guys!

TF

Romeo
03-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Best advice I can give is scan them and save them digitally then store them as it appears you already do.

Xmo
03-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Its really pain on the ass with faded receipts
For me, I just scan and print it. Then I staple the original receipt with the printed paper. So if anything happens and they are looking for the original, I could still give them that faded receipt.

Thetof91
03-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Why would you need receipt on a item after many years?

ferrari100
03-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Insurance claims.
That's the only reason to preserve. And the. Best way is to place in a folder so the light can't get to it.

smitty2011
03-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Insurance claims.
That's the only reason to preserve. And the. Best way is to place in a folder so the light can't get to it.

Nah, take photos/scan and then put it in the cloud i.e Dropbox, imageshack.. what happens if your house burns down or someone steals the receipts (by accident)..that paper and ink is not meant to last long. Also take photos of the items... if you are really worried take out special contents insurance and specify the actual item, depending on which insurance company you are with. Also read the PDS and your certificate of insurance to ensure you are fully covered.

http://cleanwater.org/files/images/ct/receipts_0.JPG

TMM
03-27-2013, 02:17 PM
I keep mine in a dark area, free from moisture or anything...Still no luck on soooooome...
TF

Hi,

I've worked in a few shops back in the day and you'll probably find that 90% of your receipts are heat based - ie the paper is heat sensitive and the heat has applied the text - what this means is that you can store them in a dark room and they'll fade due to the temperature - cold temperatures cause the receipts to turn white, hot temperatures cause them to turn black/grey/dark.

There's really no way to preserve them (even if you laminated them I believe the heat sensitive properties will still apply - I don't think there's any reaction with the air for example).

As others have suggested you can scan them in, and take lots of pictures of things but that's about it.

Not all receipts are like this, but in the UK every computer game shop I've worked in and bought items from have this type of receipt printing system.

TMM

Dreamcazman
03-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Yeah I hate the thermal receipts you get nowadays. I have to keep the one's I get when I purchase petrol for tax purposes and I just photocopy them on my inkjet printer. They do look nicer than the dotmatrix ones you used to get as you can put your business logo on them and have nicer fonts, etc. I deal with POS products with work and thermal is pretty much the only type of receipt printer you can buy now. Sometimes shops can print out an A4 receipt on a laser printer, that's your only other option.

There is no way you can really preserve them in their original form as they will eventually fade over the years no matter how you look after them. Too hot and the paper goes black, too cold and it goes white again! :lol:

I think some companies want them to fade so you can't claim warranties, etc.

HIPPEEDUDE
03-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Receipts,the burden we have to save:( EB games is fairly good,you get a little card & all your info,purchases,costs etc are stored on it.For everything else i just pfotocopy the original & store it away in a clear file with original receipt