PDA

View Full Version : Badly designed CE game boxes

Dreamcazman
03-27-2013, 05:25 AM
I'm interested to hear of others experiences of CE's they have bought that have been terribly designed. Not so much how they were received in the post, although that does play a part, but the actual box the CE came in.

For me, it happened today. I received my Hitman Absolution CE which I bought from Zavvi in their latest special. I know Zavvi aren't the best when it comes to packaging, but they did an ok job. It was in a box with the air pockets to stop it moving around.

The CE on the other hand is very badly designed IMO. For starters there is nothing holding the figurine in place and it was just moving around inside, secondly there's nothing really supporting the front of the box and it was easily crumpled and I'm not sure if the hard plastic window is supposed to be stuck to the box, but it was loose.

Thankfully everything inside is perfect and I'm not too fussed as I got it cheap. I don't think there was anyway it could be packed better to avoid the box creases and dents.

http://users.on.net/~ckpichler/Collection/Hitman1.jpg

http://users.on.net/~ckpichler/Collection/Hitman2.jpg

http://users.on.net/~ckpichler/Collection/Hitman3.jpg

I_BE_WILL
03-27-2013, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure how any others looked as it was the only left in the store but the window on the Songbird box seems warped and wavy, which is a slight detraction if you wanted to display it. It's extremely minor but if I remember correctly (my actual box is siting somewhere in my house) that the Animus Edition of AC Revelations had an angled bottom of the box that doesn't sit properly on a shelf.

Matrix6
03-27-2013, 07:00 AM
I've seen pics of the interior of MGS HD CE. The heavy art book would easily smash around inside as the cardboard dividers were thin and weak!

The Dead Island Treasure Box Edition didn't even come in a box, just a slip case and nothing inside was held secure so everything just loosely moved around! Just as well there was nothing breakable or too heavy!

Dreamcazman
03-27-2013, 07:01 AM
I've seen pics of the interior of MGS HD CE. The heavy art book would easily smash around inside as the cardboard dividers were thin and weak!
I've heard a few horror stories about that one.

I'm not sure how any others looked as it was the only left in the store but the window on the Songbird box seems warped and wavy, which is a slight detraction if you wanted to display it. It's extremely minor but if I remember correctly (my actual box is siting somewhere in my house) that the Animus Edition of AC Revelations had an angled bottom of the box that doesn't sit properly on a shelf.
The clear plastic will always have a slight wave to it.

I know what you mean about the Animus edition. When I got mine I was like WTF! I thought it was pushed out of shape and then realised it was made like that. O.o

ison
03-27-2013, 07:54 AM
I'm interested to hear of others experiences of CE's they have bought that have been terribly designed. Not so much how they were received in the post, although that does play a part, but the actual box the CE came in.

For me, it happened today. I received my Hitman Absolution CE which I bought from Zavvi in their latest special. I know Zavvi aren't the best when it comes to packaging, but they did an ok job. It was in a box with the air pockets to stop it moving around.

The CE on the other hand is very badly designed IMO. For starters there is nothing holding the figurine in place and it was just moving around inside, secondly there's nothing really supporting the front of the box and it was easily crumpled and I'm not sure if the hard plastic window is supposed to be stuck to the box, but it was loose.

Thankfully everything inside is perfect and I'm not too fussed as I got it cheap. I don't think there was anyway it could be packed better to avoid the box creases and dents.

Damn thats unacceptable for me...i would mail them and ask for a refund.

Im too expecting the ps3 version...you just broke my heart :(...

If it is as bad as yours i will ask for refund/return.

Just because it was cheap doesnt mean you have to tolerate this.

Ill wait and see how mine arrives but seeing yours...i dont have much hope.

Question:

Was the box of the ce sealed or not? I am asking because if it wasnt sealed ...you may got a store display game or something?

HIPPEEDUDE
03-27-2013, 07:59 AM

My songbird edition was like that as well,i dont like it. I like my plastic nice & smooth. Me thinks its the plastic used combined with heat distortion. I even had them check all the editions they had & they were all the same,not good. Animus is sucky to sit on shelf,i have stuff behind it to prop it upright.

Worse for me is the first Bioshock CE with the Big Daddy figure. A major costly stuff up there,box to small & over half the figures broken off at the drill bit.

Dreamcazman
03-27-2013, 09:37 AM

Question:

Was the box of the ce sealed or not? I am asking because if it wasnt sealed ...you may got a store display game or something?
The box was sealed. I broke the seal to check the contents inside.

I might email them and see what they have to say. I'm not sending it back because that'll cost me more than the thing is worth. :banghead:

EDIT: Just emailed Zavvi, fingers crossed.

Matt16
03-27-2013, 10:22 AM

Mine was battered inside due to the crap design!! I sent it back and the new one was a different inside which makes me wonder if a lot of people sent them back and they changed it.

My Hitman and Songbird were mint but the X Blades Royal edition arrived yesterday and that is possibly the worst, most shitty, appalling, downright dog shit box I've ever had the misfortune of laying my unfortunate eyes on :(

ison
03-27-2013, 10:29 AM

Mine was battered inside due to the crap design!! I sent it back and the new one was a different inside which makes me wonder if a lot of people sent them back and they changed it.

My Hitman and Songbird were mint but the X Blades Royal edition arrived yesterday and that is possibly the worst, most shitty, appalling, downright dog shot box I've ever had the misfortune of laying my unfortunate eyes on :(

This is a cursed thread lol

I got the x blades as well....now i am afraid what will i see upon arrival :S

Was it damaged?

Matt16
03-27-2013, 10:46 AM
This is a cursed thread lol

I got the x blades as well....now i am afraid what will i see upon arrival :S

Was it damaged?

The outer box was fine, although it is very flimsy. The problem is inside, there is another small box which holds the art book, game, soundtrack etc. which has those daft card board things that hold everything in place. They are all ripped and battered; the art book doesn't even fit in the box so its in the lid and the base of the box (with the game and other bits) is slotted into the lid. All in all its just a horrendous design and I'll never know what the idiots were thinking when they came up with it!!

Cosmic_Link
03-27-2013, 10:57 AM

Question:

If I remember rightly, the box was cellophane wrapped. You won't get a store display copy from Zavvi as they don't have any stores anymore. They're online only now.

The box wasn't really badly designed. There is a tray in the bottom which has cut outs where 47's feet sit into and when the figure is stood in there, it doesn't move around. However, it looks like during manufacturing, the lazy little sod on the line hasn't bothered to open the tray out and therefore the figure just slides around. The tray will still be flat in the bottom of the box! >.< That's how mine was.

Either way, the state that arrived in shouldn't be tolerated. >.<. Contact them and try and push for a refund.

TMM
03-27-2013, 01:59 PM

Hi,

This seemed odd to me also when I received mine, but it's worth noting the songbird is in it's own box inside, and once I had take that box out (whilst still wavey as it's that plastic you see) it looks much better as it's flush to the cardboard around the edges:

http://www.manmountaindesigns.co.uk/images/ubpics/bsi/bs10.JPG
For reference here is my unboxing and a shot of the inner box by itself. (http://www.manmountaindesigns.co.uk/index.php/games/unboxing/136-bioshock-infinite-ultimate-songbird-edition-unboxing)

Granted it stall has the wavey plastic, however it looks much better in it's secondary box than in the main box. Other things have used a much firmer plastic in the past though.

TMM

TMM
03-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Hi,

Sorry for the double post but it just came to mind that my Tekken 6 was a tad disappointing.

http://www.manmountaindesigns.co.uk/images/ubpics/t6/t1.jpg

The unboxing has a few more pictures if needs be. (http://www.manmountaindesigns.co.uk/index.php/games/unboxing/117-tekken-6-limited-edition-unboxing)

It was basically just a box with everything in, not even a particularly hard wearing cardboard either - also the seller didn't package it particularly well... all in all a bad design, I would have been annoyed if it had some sort of statue in it as I feel it would have been obliterated!

TMM

Dreamcazman
03-31-2013, 02:59 AM
I finally got a result out of Zavvi. They initially only offered me 4 pounds compensation. I didn't feel that was enough and wanted 10. Their response was the max they could give was 25%, so I'm getting 7.50 pounds back.

It's better than nothing, but it would've been even better if it didn't arrive damaged in the first place.

Vlad
03-31-2013, 03:26 AM
The one that immediately springs to mind for me is the MGS HD collection.
Flimsy, thin outer box that could easily cave-in if something went on top of it, then everything inside can move easily which means the weak inside cardboard at the corners was probably wrecked on almost every copy shipped out.

At seeing it mentioned I do remember X Blades wasn't great either.

The US Brothers in Arms that came with a figure was really quite bad too, way too easy for it to bend out at the sides, even with the figure still in it.
Dead Space 2 was a bit the same although not to the same extent.

Can't think back of too many others that were as bad as some of these just now.