PDA

View Full Version : Are current gen CEs going to lose their value?

Resseh
04-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Just wondering if the value of our collections are going to drop like a stone once the PS4 and Xbox 720 are released?

Did the PS2 & Xbox CEs hold their values once they were succeeded? :o

Although the CEs that i currently own are ones i will keep as they have awesome statues.

SwiftDeath
04-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Problem in my mind is that they weren't that many PS2 and xbox CE's so it's hard to compare

This generation has so many times more CE's than the previous one

Honestly it's likely this generation will be the golden Age of VG CE's if things all go digital like they've been threatening too

I suppose since PS4 and Xbox 720 will both still be disc based, they'll be physical CE's :shrug:

I hope our CE's keep their value but so many variables to consider :think:

vhal_x
04-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Yeah, the difficult thing with that question is that there definitely wasn't many CEs in that gen to compare to. We've certainly had the big market boom of CEs this gen.

Tbh, PS4 and Next Xbox are still both going to be disc based, so highly unlikely that they won't bring out CEs for those (I mean we've already got preorders available for the Black Flag CE for ACIV on PS4, etc).

In the end, if the CEs depreciate in value, I won't really care since I don't ever plan on selling them. But, I highly doubt that, as a whole, the CEs will depreciate just because the next-gen is out xx

Matt16
04-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Problem in my mind is that they weren't that many PS2 and xbox CE's so it's hard to compare

This generation has so many times more CE's than the previous one

Honestly it's likely this generation will be the golden Age of VG CE's if things all go digital like they've been threatening too

Agreed, CE's were few and far between before the current generation but if the logic of normal games applies I think it will depend alot on the genre. For example sports games pretty much always drop in value whereas RPG's tend to hold their value and go up.

I was about to write a big long essay but have noticed the time so am leaving work :D
I'll be back

Xmo
04-03-2013, 06:01 PM
I'd say no... Although for newer generations, for example those who are 10 years old right now just starting to play video games, they have not heard the games we currently collect so the market will be smaller on specific games. I remember having Red Alert 2 Collectors Edition and its a very rare and I know there is a lot of fans of that game back then. But selling it is a pain in the ass since not many people will be looking for this specific CE as time had passed.

SwiftDeath
04-03-2013, 06:03 PM
I'd say no... Although for newer generations, for example those who are 10 years old right now just starting to play video games, they have not heard the games we currently collect so the market will be smaller on specific games. I remember having Red Alert 2 Collectors Edition and its a very rare and I know there is a lot of fans of that game back then. But selling it is a pain in the ass since not many people will be looking for this specific CE as time had passed.

I do think that franchises that bridge the gap between this generation and the next will remain as collectible if not more

I.E. AC and Uncharted are going to be next generation so older AC and Uncharted stuff should remain collectible imo

Xmo
04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
I do think that franchises that bridge the gap between this generation and the next will remain as collectible if not more

I.E. AC and Uncharted are going to be next generation so older AC and Uncharted stuff should remain collectible imo

I agree on that also.

flatout
04-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Simple answer is yes they will... most of them anyways.

While I agree that some games that bridge the gap will keep "most" of their value and even less may become more valuable BUT most will lose a lot of their value.

For example, most people shy away from PS2 Press Kits as opposed to newer ones... again I said most people.

But like others have said we don't really have the last gen to compare to as far as CEs go but as far as other items such as Promo Discs go we can easily carry that comparison over and generalize it.

HIPPEEDUDE
04-03-2013, 08:08 PM
I dont think all current CE/LE will hold their value realistically speaking. It really is dependent on the game itself & what is included. CE/LE with things like figures or other such items in them will to an extent hold value or increase. However most basic CE/LE will just be a mere game,no more than that. Some older Xbox 360 CE./LE games you dont even see around anymore such as Juiced 2 CE,i honestly havent seen any for awhile now at all or that are at least complete. Some older games for the original Xbox that werent CE/LE as such like GTA Trilogy or Halo Triple Pack still seem to go for silly money depending on condition. At the end of the day it all still comes down to what it is,if someone wants it & what they want to pay for it

flatout
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
That is basically what we are guaging... like I always say (and you did too) "something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it".

The reason why games that bridge to new gen will hold or become more worth more is because of the hype that follows (for a great example of right now, look at everything Bioshock on eBay right now then compare it to a year before and a year after now).

comaamen86
04-04-2013, 12:53 PM
well i bought duke nukem balls of steel and it is shot up in value it is on ebay for 1,000,000

HIPPEEDUDE
04-04-2013, 01:19 PM
well i bought duke nukem balls of steel and it is shot up in value it is on ebay for 1,000,000

To list it at that price the seller must have balls of steel,:lmao:

Lemur
04-05-2013, 06:55 AM
$1m? Time to sell mine as well :lmao:

KnightOfTruth
05-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Yeah, another great example (at least here in the US) when ME3 came out, the collector's editions of ME2 and ME1 were literally selling for $1,000+ on Ebay. (Got mine off a guy from Craigslist around that time for dirt cheap though if I remember)

flatout
05-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Hype value is not really the value though. It is only the value in a small window... as in Bioshock items will not be worth anywhere near what they were worth a week ago compared to a year from now.

Listing an item during hype time to get offers is just not what the true value is long term. I call it "hype value" and it usually is 2x to 4x higher then the real value (in extreme cases even more like with the MIR books).

Basically I consider the "calm value" to be the real long term value or at least the closest to the long term you can get. The small window hype values are only a good reference for those small few week time periods when a game launches.

richy rude
05-04-2013, 12:50 PM
OK we all buy CE's because we love them, cherish them and like collecting them.

Sometimes we might buy a CE with the intention of making a profit later down the line. Which brings me to my next point, when the PS4 and NextBox are released are the values of PS3 and XBOX 360 CE's suddenly going to plummet off the edge of a proverbial cliff?

I know the value of Uber rare games and some press items will always remain high but general CE's that are no longer on the most up to date gaming platforms? I feel the shipping might be worth more than the value of the CE's themselves...