PDA

View Full Version : Trials and tribulations of living in a bilingual country...

Brandon Storm
04-13-2013, 04:06 AM
Got the Limited Collector's Edition of Gears of War shipped in today, completing my GOW collector's edition trilogy.

Looked on the back:

http://i.imgur.com/1Iah4dW.jpg

Damn.

I like my games to be one uniform language, or at the very least for individual items to be bilingual.

Double damn.

Anyone else bothered by stuff like this?

SwiftDeath
04-13-2013, 04:35 AM
Yep that's why I try not to buy CE's from Canada :P

Brandon Storm
04-13-2013, 04:44 AM
Those damned francophones!

geralds
04-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Theres a bunch of biligual stuff in the usa as well or at least in the area i live in some of my Ces are spanish and english and some times french.

SwiftDeath
04-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Theres a bunch of biligual stuff in the usa as well or at least in the area i live in some of my Ces are spanish and english and some times french.

Yes that does happen although I think it's more common in Canada with the French provinces than here in the US

LowlyAssassin
04-13-2013, 03:03 PM
I have an ac2 master assassin in French :(
Should really get one in English but men

toxicatom5
04-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Same here -- it bugs the hell out of me! I searched forever to find that ACII Master Edition that lowly just mentioned without French on it, and the Gears that you posted up as well.

geralds
04-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Yes that does happen although I think it's more common in Canada with the French provinces than here in the US

Its almost always like that and biligual manuals as well. I think it has to do with some law in Canada about stuff being in french and English. I think its also why some stuff in the usa is just in french/english because they do not want to make a separate copy for Canada. The state i live in for years has been trying to get it passed that ever thing here has to be the same way for everything being English/Spanish.

v1sav1s
04-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Multi-lingual doesn't really bother me yet; except not being able to read most of it. But I'll take whatever I can get.

richy rude
04-13-2013, 05:21 PM
. But I'll take whatever I can get.

That's me after a few beers down the local disco :rotf:

Brandon Storm
04-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Multi-lingual doesn't really bother me yet; except not being able to read most of it. But I'll take whatever I can get.

Yeah, multi-lingual is alright, but even being bilingual myself I can't stand things that are solely in a different language than the rest of my collection.

I can read it just fine, but it ruins my continuity, haha.

I got it for a good price, so I would've likely bought it regardless had I known before hand, but I'm still only giving it a half a check-mark on my wishlist. Going to have to keep my eyes open for an English version, or at least an English slipcover.

richy rude
04-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Sometimes the packaging can be in another language but the actual contents of the collectors edition and the in game dialogue can be in English. C'est tres confusing.

Redmagster
04-13-2013, 09:01 PM
That's me after a few beers down the local disco :rotf:

That made me spit my wine!!

Redmagster
04-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Sometimes the packaging can be in another language but the actual contents of the collectors edition and the in game dialogue can be in English. C'est tres confusing.

Oohh la la!

toxicatom5
04-13-2013, 09:19 PM
That made me spit my wine!!

What a waste....

Redmagster
04-13-2013, 09:23 PM
What a waste....

Ah no - fret not - it went back in the glass :taunt:

SwiftDeath
04-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Ah no - fret not - it went back in the glass :taunt:

Mags - always the classy lady ;)

Redmagster
04-13-2013, 09:43 PM

Reporting for duty... ;)

richy rude
04-13-2013, 11:16 PM

At the risk of sounding like a neanderthal, did someone mention female?.... :drool:

:rotf:

HIPPEEDUDE
04-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Its a pain in the bum but,the reality is there are some CE's that some of us may want that were never released in english & never will be. So,we just have to put up with it if you wish to complete your collection. The only edition i have thats not in english is an AC 1 Limited edition with the 10 inch Altair statue simply because its still factory sealed & it was really damn cheap.

LyricalOne
04-15-2013, 04:50 AM
Its a pain in the bum but,the reality is there are some CE's that some of us may want that were never released in english & never will be. So,we just have to put up with it if you wish to complete your collection. The only edition i have thats not in english is an AC 1 Limited edition with the 10 inch Altair statue simply because its still factory sealed & it was really damn cheap.

Yeah this sums up the way I feel.

There's so many good items out there that will never make it to the US in english.

Maybe that's why I like steelbooks more..most of them are Language free...

Brandon Storm
04-15-2013, 05:39 AM

Maybe once I spend some more time here and get more into 'across-the-globe' type collecting I'll become more lenient. At the moment I only collect from within my continent, except for when I bought some Dark Souls and Demon's Souls stuff. My first foray into the unknown world of international game edition buying, haha.

But as of right now, I'm stuck being anal about uniform languages in my collection.

HIPPEEDUDE
04-16-2013, 02:27 AM
Maybe once I spend some more time here and get more into 'across-the-globe' type collecting I'll become more lenient. At the moment I only collect from within my continent, except for when I bought some Dark Souls and Demon's Souls stuff. My first foray into the unknown world of international game edition buying, haha.

But as of right now, I'm stuck being anal about uniform languages in my collection.

I am sure alot of us can understand that. As i said though sooner or later if you want,for arguements sake one of everything for a particular series or game then there is no alternative but to bite the bullet. There are some fantastic editions released overseas that are just epic in content & some of these will only become harder to find as time goes by. Harder to find usually means you end up paying more than you would have if you got them on & around release date. Sure,if something came out in english,get it if you can however ever if not & it never was available in english,my advice is to give some serious considertion to what your passing up because its in some gobblygook foreign language:)