PDA

View Full Version : how to prevent fading

LowlyAssassin
04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
This is more a question / discussion thread
Recently I decided to pull my console boxes out of storage and put them on display
But then I thought.... What about fading, how can I protect against fading?
I can t just leave the curtains closed all the time
So I don't a little investigation, and found a company offering UV protective film, great I thought
I can put this on my windows instead of boxing up each individual item
I was just wondering how everyone else tackles this issue?
What other solutions are out there?
The company seems very good, they explain how fading happens and what causes it Here (http://www.windowfilm.co.uk/commercial/window-film-products/fading)
And Here (http://www.windowfilm.co.uk/buy-online/window-film-by-the-metre/uv-protection/clear-uv-window-film) is the link to there UV protective Film, it comes supplied at a width of roughly 1.5 metres and costs 30GBP a meter, now I know that I could buy half a dozen retro games or half a game with this money but surely it's money well spent, Isn't it?
Any ideas, suggestions' stories your grandparents used to tell you?
Really guys we can't have too much information on this topic

vhal_x
04-26-2013, 12:45 PM
In all honesty, I never have my blinds open :rotf: Neighbours must think I'm a weirdo.

I don't have my blinds permanently closed because of my CEs though (although it helps), it's because the blinds are broken, so I can't roll them up unless I do it by hand, and with a 55inch TV in front of the window, I can't get in there to do it :rotf: xx

LowlyAssassin
04-26-2013, 01:32 PM
In all honesty, I never have my blinds open :rotf: Neighbours must think I'm a weirdo.

I don't have my blinds permanently closed because of my CEs though (although it helps), it's because the blinds are broken, so I can't roll them up unless I do it by hand, and with a 55inch TV in front of the window, I can't get in there to do it :rotf: xx

But if your blinds did work
Would you be worried about fading?
And how would you go about preventing it / preserving your CE's?

HIPPEEDUDE
04-26-2013, 04:24 PM
For me personlly,the little room where i keep everything i keep the curtains closed. The windows are left open for air circulation but,because the room is smallish i find it easier to just keep the curtains closed. I also have a 71 inch tv oposite the main window so the curtains are better closed anyway for better viewing pleasure:)
If,i was doing up a specific larger area for collections i would look at alternatives like UV film on glass,or something similar. Nothing worse than fading,blemishes or discoloration.

StayFree( ' 3')
04-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Very good topic as I think about this issue every now and then.

My mother is a huge metal head and has a collection of very rare autographed records framed on her wall (Pantera, Metallica, Slayer, etc.) with her windows always open. Those records are now sadly, completely faded.

I've learned from this lesson and currently have specially designed shutters that angles light to the ceiling. I wish I knew about this UV protective film you're mentioning as those shutters I mentioned cost me thousands...:facepalm:

LowlyAssassin
04-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Stay free indirect sunlight still let's the UV light in but its damage takes longer and is more evenly faded sonless noticeable

SwiftDeath
04-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Stay free indirect sunlight still let's the UV light in but its damage takes longer and is more evenly faded sonless noticeable

Doesn't normal electric lighting produce a small amount of UV light?

I've always wondered if that would affect things given enough time

LowlyAssassin
04-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Doesn't normal electric lighting produce a small amount of UV light?

I've always wondered if that would affect things given enough time

Hmm I don't know as I use energy saving bulbs
I guess I shall have to research that

LowlyAssassin
04-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Result 1 Source (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_all_light_bulbs_give_off_UV_light)
All lamps will give off UV but incandescent lamps will give-off unmeasurably small amounts. Discharge lamps essentially all contain mercury and mercury in the discharge gives off UV. However, most lamps are enclosed in UV-absorbing glass, either as primary containment or as an outer enclosure (bulb), so very little gets beyond the outer bulb.
If any lamp emits more then almost no UV, it has to be marked (R in the US), and a warning given that it cannot be used in an open fixture - in other words, it must be used behind a UV absorber (usually what is called soft glass - similar to normal window glass).

Result 2
(Too much to quote)http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/08/08/158426970/energy-efficient-lightbulbs-have-a-dark-side-when-it-comes-to-health

thefunk007
04-26-2013, 08:22 PM
I have just applied some of this to my windows:

Ultra UV Reduction Window Film

The solar film has a very slight neutral tint to it which will also help in reducing visible light and solar heat which are the other two main causes of fading - stops 99% of rays.

SwiftDeath
04-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Ah so while normal lighting produces UV light, it's negligible for the most part

Thanks lily

If I ever get my collection organized somewhere, I'll certainly look into this

LowlyAssassin
04-26-2013, 08:33 PM
I have just applied some of this to my windows:

Ultra UV Reduction Window Film

The solar film has a very slight neutral tint to it which will also help in reducing visible light and solar heat which are the other two main causes of fading - stops 99% of rays.

Can you tell me more details , like rough cost or the supplier?
As the site I linked too has 2 versions, they have a UV only film and a tinted + UV film:thumb:

thefunk007
04-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Can you tell me more details , like rough cost or the supplier?
As the site I linked too has 2 versions, they have a UV only film and a tinted + UV film:thumb:

I got the UV and tinted one, it's stops all UV and is 30% darker and if you look at my window from outside it has like a slight reflective look to it.

I was looking for the link before I posted but I couldn't find it - I think I paid around ?30.00 and ended up with more than I needed as well.

Also you just cut and apply with water it's really simple, but means I can enjoy daylight and my collection is protected as well :v:

LowlyAssassin
04-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the info
I am still awaiting the big collectors around here to respond
Lord twisted symphony , Ingmar, mortal you guess have massive collections come on, enlighten us

SwiftDeath
04-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the info
I am still awaiting the big collectors around here to respond
Lord twisted symphony , Ingmar, mortal you guess have massive collections come on, enlighten us

I believe twistedsymphony has his collection in his basement from the look of his pictures not sure of course

Quite interested to hear from Mortal as he's certainly the type to worry about that sort of thing and try to protect it

LowlyAssassin
04-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Maybe I should pm them and ask for there input

SwiftDeath
04-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Maybe I should pm them and ask for there input

Worth a try as they are usually busy and wouldn't necessarily post on here

LowlyAssassin
04-29-2013, 07:52 PM
I am buying some of that UV film tomorrow anyway
And have recently put up NeT curtains to help block some of the light out

geralds
04-29-2013, 08:57 PM
better sollutions then what i did to get rid of sunlight put tin foil over my windows lol.

LowlyAssassin
04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
better sollutions then what i did to get rid of sunlight put tin foil over my windows lol.
That's worse then my idea of using black out paper

fiirmoth
05-11-2013, 02:00 AM
In all honesty, I hate direct sunlight in general, so when I bought my house, I bought one where I have no windows on the East or West side of my house so I get zero direct sunlight. Aside from that, My "Collectibles" stay in one room and that room has dark sun proof blinds. Sun is definitely the enemy. I would honestly say keep all Sunlight out of the room where your collection is. If that isnt possible, then the UV film is probably a great idea. If nothing else, keep the shades pulled during the day when the sun is most intense and open it during the evening when it isnt as bad.

evowrap
03-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Hi guys, a bit of an old post but just wondering how you guys got on with the UV window film you bought - did it do the trick? Im a window film installer so it's always interesting to hear case studies - good or bad.