PDA

View Full Version : General Press kit Question

bazzaffc
05-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Hi all I'm fairly new to collecting bits just started off with the odd CE of some games but really do like some of the more unusual stuff that gets released.

I see a lot of press kits on here like the new bioshock one for example but how do you guys get hold of them in the first place?

Is it just a case of waiting for them to go on eBay or do you just have to be lucky and no someone that gets given one in the first place??

vhal_x
05-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Bit of both :p xx

flatout
05-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Hi all I'm fairly new to collecting bits just started off with the odd CE of some games but really do like some of the more unusual stuff that gets released.

I see a lot of press kits on here like the new bioshock one for example but how do you guys get hold of them in the first place?

Is it just a case of waiting for them to go on eBay or do you just have to be lucky and no someone that gets given one in the first place??

Like vhal said a bit of both.

I would say most of it is someone knows someone who gets them or who works for a company that gets them.

A lot of what I see is friends of the people who get them have them given to them and then that person sells them (maybe with an agreement with the friend for the profits).

The biggest issue it the members of the gaming press cannot sell them themselves becasue it would be unethical. It would equate to more of a bribe then it already does (not that it does but in the eyes of some people it does), and it would reflect badly on the company they work for and they could lose their job.

Another way is some kits are given away to people as prizes by the journalist or companies.

But few come directly to eBay from the original journalist who got it, and if they do it is usually a brand new eBay account to protect themselves.

Anyways just my 2 cents on the matter.

SwiftDeath
05-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Pretty much what flatout said with one minor tweak IMO

The bit about selling press kits being unethical seems to mostly apply to the USA as I've almost never seen press kits sold in the US from anyone but collectors

In Europe I am positive that a large percentage of press kits get sold by those who get it directly

comaamen86
05-27-2013, 06:55 PM
you dont wanna know (wipes mouth)

flatout
05-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Pretty much what flatout said with one minor tweak IMO

The bit about selling press kits being unethical seems to mostly apply to the USA as I've almsot never seen press kits sold in the US from anyone but collectors

In Europe I am positive that a large percentage of press kits get sold by those who get it directly

Maybe more over there... but even the one member on here that i know who is a journalist who sells kits doesn't do gaming journalism anymore. He even thinks selling them while doing the reviews and such is a conflict of interest. Maybe not a gross one... it is not like they ask for these kits, it is really intentional only on one side (the games marketing department)... call it what you will but the gift is simply to inspire love for the game to get a better review and more attention.

But as you say I am sure some do... the person over in Europe that I got the Alternative BS Infinite kit from was a friend of the person who got it and he even said they were splitting the money. I honestly don't think any reputable gaming journalist would sell a kit openly and directly.

you dont wanna know (wipes mouth)

Annnnd now everyone knows why certain members keep buying all the kits they can get their hands on...