PDA

View Full Version : What're your thoughts on "Limited Editions"?

KnightOfTruth
05-08-2013, 05:59 AM
So as I was packing up some of my games tonight to bring to my local GS to trade-in I noticed that I've got a few "limited edition" games - that really don't seem "special" or "collectable" or anything like that to me... basically they were games that I got on release that came with some component of DLC that later was offered in a "premium" version anyway...

For instance, the two games that I noticed right away were:

"Battlefield 3: Limited Edition"
"Battlefield Bad Company 2: Limited Edition"

Besides the DLC insert, nothing really special stands out to me for these. There's no steelcase or anything.

So I was just curious what YOU thought about these type of things? Are they collectable? Do people look for these? Please educate and inform.

SwiftDeath
05-08-2013, 06:38 AM
I find them in bad taste to be honest but I suppose you have to name them something :shrug:

Devalue the terminology imo

Nothing special about them to me

Just First-Run Editions meh

Some people do collect them I think but rarely pay anything for them as they all become dirt cheap once the DLC is used

Madigan
05-08-2013, 06:51 AM
Yeah, they need to add a special name so you can distinguish it from the normal release. Companies usually use "Limited edition", "Special Edition", "Day one edition", custom names like "Army edition", "War edition", etc etc.

That's perfectly fine as long as they don't use "Collector's edition".
Personally, a Collector's edition needs something extra like a keychain, soundtrack, artbook, steelbook, statue, it doesn't matter if it's big or small as long as you can "touch" it. I think that qualifies as a collector's edition and if it only comes with DLC "Special" or "Limited" edition is fine.

Dreamcazman
05-08-2013, 08:10 AM
If I had the choice of the two, I'd usually go for the LE just due to the fact that it isn't the standard release.

Sand4fish
05-08-2013, 08:20 AM
For the sake of our own well-being (financially speaking at least), we should all learn to be selective when it comes to collect limited/special editions. The term is simply an easy cash in, specially for the current generation. Look at the "The Last of Us" friggin' infinite number of editions... Is it worth collecting all? Probably by the time the DLC comes around, we're going to have "the ultimate collector's edition". It really does feel like we ve been buying "intended" incomplete versions of the original games.

LowlyAssassin
05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
I think the world limited is fitting as they are usually bonuses that are included only in the first run and therefore are limited
If they where to be named anything then first run or limited seems to be the right thing to call them
I don't like all the fancy names they come up with for an edition that only includes a doc card

KnightOfTruth
05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
I wonder what the approximate ratio numerically speaking for release quantities is between "Limited Editions" and "Collector's Editions" -- I'd think that there'd be significantly less Collector's Editions, but that may be an interesting figure to examine...

SwiftDeath
05-10-2013, 05:58 PM
I wonder what the approximate ratio numerically speaking for release quantities is between "Limited Editions" and "Collector's Editions" -- I'd think that there'd be significantly less Collector's Editions, but that may be an interesting figure to examine...

Well "Limited Editions" that are first run versions of games are made in silly numbers depending on what the game is

Some like Halo 4 were probably in the millions but considering how Halo 4's CE was at least 600,000 copies i don't know what the ratio would be like

On the other hand a game like ni no kuni might actually have a smaller first run than Halo 4's CE's did :rotf:

Not sure on that but i know some lesser known games have rather small initial runs and may not even get second runs at all

For comparison, the CE for Ni no kuni (American CE) was supposedly limited to 3200 copies so quite limited hence the crazy price tag but not sure on the exact number

comaamen86
05-10-2013, 06:21 PM
if we are talking about standard games with a little dlc tacked on, i could not gve a monkeys about em

HIPPEEDUDE
05-11-2013, 12:01 PM
If a game comes with something special or different besides a boring dlc then its worth getting if it tickles your fancy. If its only called a limited or special edition because of some stupid dlc i dont bother with it at all,it simply just another game