PDA

View Full Version : Play-Asia.com; the biggest hassle?

Robert
05-09-2013, 07:46 PM
This site is the biggest hassle that has ever been known to man when trying to buy something! Has anyone else who has bought from there been asked to email them pictures of your credit card, I.D, and billing info? this is after going through all the normal steps to buy online with a credit card! anyone else dealt with this?

Ryu Kazama
05-09-2013, 07:50 PM
They are incredibly reliable and one of the best online retailers. Was at one point the best for me but their prices have gone a bit high.

Anyway, the scan of your card is quite normal for other sites, too. I had it for either yesasia or play-asia when I first used them. It's for their own security. Once you send them the pics and have it approved everything is as normal as can be.

Cosmic_Link
05-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Play-asia are reliable but I don't like the idea of sending them copies of personal items like that. They either want my business or they don't they would get a swift email from me telling them to fuck off if they came that crap. especially if it was my first experience with them.

I never had to do anything like that when first purchasing from them... :S How much you trying to buy? XD

Robert
05-09-2013, 11:19 PM
I actually did send them all that stuff just cause I really wanted DD: Dark Arisen LE, but then they said they wanted better pics, then I sent them better ones, then they asked for more pictures of other things, and I just cancelled at that point. Waaay to much hassle. And the only thing I was trying to buy was the DD: Dark Arisen LE, nothing else

Gazereths
05-09-2013, 11:21 PM
I've had some stuff from play-asia before and never had that trouble. You sure it wasn;t a phishing email?

Matt16
05-09-2013, 11:25 PM
I actually did send them all that stuff just cause I really wanted DD: Dark Arisen LE, but then they said they wanted better pics, then I sent them better ones, then they asked for more pictures of other things, and I just cancelled at that point. Waaay to much hassle. And the only thing I was trying to buy was the DD: Dark Arisen LE, nothing else

That does seem really weird, a bit worrying.

If you want Dark Arisen its much cheaper here (http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/modules/blocksearchtim/search.php?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=Dark%20arisen&id_category=none&force=1) than Play Asia

Robert
05-10-2013, 02:24 AM
I've ordered at play Asia before as well, and never had to do that, now you've got me worried.... I hope it wasn't a phishing email.. and thanks Matt, that is cheaper

HIPPEEDUDE
05-10-2013, 03:11 AM
I have never had to do anything you have been asked for when dealing with them. Sounds a bit weird to me. They arent always the cheapest but for me they are 100% reliable so far & they do have some good deals occasionally.

ZeeAussie
05-10-2013, 03:37 AM
Sounds weird for them to ask for your details like that, I've used them many times and never had that sort of hassle....I would never send out my details like that to any business no matter how badly I want that item.

Look around and you will find the same thing elsewhere, perhaps cheaper too.

Dr_Jengo
05-10-2013, 03:54 AM
That's a first.. never had issues with PlayAsia whether I use Credit Card or PayPal.

GameStop US was a hassle for me though. I had to fax over my details, and it was only strictly fax. No scanned copies via e-mail.
Problem was when I went to the PostOffice to help me get it faxed over before or after work, it didn't go through. I suspected it was because they switched off the fax machine during non-working hours but they claim they don't. In the end, I managed to get an online site to fax it over.. What a hassle.. :rant:

Dreamcazman
05-10-2013, 08:32 AM
I've been dealing with Play-asia for years and never any problems, I haven't used them lately due to price mainly, can find everything I want cheaper elsewhere.

This might be just something new that they've recently implemented for security reasons.

What if you pay by Paypal, do they still want all this info?

kittychloe
05-10-2013, 09:44 AM
I've been dealing with Play-asia for years and never any problems, I haven't used them lately due to price mainly, can find everything I want cheaper elsewhere.

This might be just something new that they've recently implemented for security reasons.

what sites are you using for for cheaper stuff?

Madigan
05-10-2013, 11:09 AM

No but you have to pay upfront for pre orders.

Dreamcazman
05-10-2013, 12:27 PM
what sites are you using for for cheaper stuff?
Pretty much anywhere else, Ozgameshop, Amazon (US & UK), Zavvi and/or The Hut, etc.

I don't tend to by much Japanese/Asian stuff anymore otherwise I'd probably buy more from PA.

Lemur
05-10-2013, 01:54 PM
I haven't had any problems with playasia. I usually only buy their weekly deals as their normal prices are bullshit.

Dr_Jengo
05-10-2013, 02:33 PM
I haven't had any problems with playasia. I usually only buy their weekly deals as their normal prices are bullshit.

Fact! :barsong:

Dr_Jengo
05-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Zavvi had lots of problems sometime back with missing parcels. I think I have like 2 orders with 5 missing games. Took quite a while for them to refund me as well so I gave up on them.. Not sure how they are now

comaamen86
05-10-2013, 02:48 PM
I've ordered at play Asia before as well, and never had to do that, now you've got me worried.... I hope it wasn't a phishing email.. and thanks Matt, that is cheaper

def sounds like phishing

if any online retailer asked for photocopies of that stuff once i had finished laughing i would of told them were to go

Robert
05-10-2013, 02:54 PM

That's how I ended up doing it, they didn't want anything with Paypal, I wish I would of waited and made this thread first, could of saved money...

Madigan
05-10-2013, 03:07 PM
def sounds like phishing

if any online retailer asked for photocopies of that stuff once i had finished laughing i would of told them were to go

That's not phishing, they just want to check if your credit card is legit. Of course when they asked me that I said fuck it and I paid with paypal. The bad thing is that you have to pay upfront when you pre order something.

Dr_Jengo
05-10-2013, 04:23 PM
There was 1 online store which I POed one of the AC3 CEs from last year.. Can't remember which one.. (That's how many CEs I bought) which I paid via PayPal and they sent me an auto-payment invoice so my PayPal wasn't charged until release date and then my PayPal automatically paid the invoice.

I thought that was pretty cool but I wasn't expecting it. I couldn't figure out why my payment didn't go through and I mailed them to ask if my order went through. They told me not to worry and said my order has been processed.. I think it was JB Hi-Fi, the one with the Pewter figures promo..

Madigan
05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
yeah some sites do that. You pre order and then on release date you receive an automated email with a pp invoice. You pay, they confirm the order and ship the item. If you don't pay the site cancels the order automatically after X days.

Sorvar
03-05-2014, 11:28 PM
This is a rather old threat but I have a question about Play-Asia.com and this seems the right place for it:

Can someone tell me their experience with the packaging of the items? Do they protect your items enough? Cause I don't want to risk buying stuff from the other side of the world without knowing how well they protect their packages..

thanks in advance

GameTrigger
03-06-2014, 12:23 AM
Most of items you can choose what type of packing and delivery you want.
Never had problems with my orders.

Sorvar
03-06-2014, 12:25 AM
Most of items you can choose what type of packing and delivery you want.
Never had problems with my orders.

That's good to hear, thanks.

Gazereths
03-06-2014, 02:27 AM
They also offer 'Neutral packaging' with no Play Asia logos on. This can sometimes help your package slip through customs unnoticed/avoid import charges.

GameTrigger
03-06-2014, 08:00 AM
They also offer 'Neutral packaging' with no Play Asia logos on. This can sometimes help your package slip through customs unnoticed/avoid import charges.
Yes, you can dry that - it's cost only extra 0,5USD but I never used that...