PDA

View Full Version : What Gets Added to the Database? Rules & Criteria for Additions

twistedsymphony
05-16-2013, 03:02 PM
The topic comes up from time to time asking "should this release be in the database?" So here are some clarifications as to the criteria used to determine if a game should be in the database or not

These are the criteria that must be met for a new entry into the database:
All criteria MUST be met or the release will not be added.

1. The release must be a physically tangible release.

2. The release must include some form of stand-alone playable game code (this includes a disc, cartridge, download code, or other medium).

3. The packaging or content of the release must differ from the "standard edition" release in some way (this may be as minor as alternate cover art).

4. If the difference in package is due to a lower price point re-release (eg: a "platinum hits" re-releases, or console bundles) It must also include content that differs from the "standard edition".

5. Pre-Order bonuses included with a release are not considered part of the release unless the pre-order bonuses is some form of alternative packaging (such as a SteelBook) or somehow physically attached to the release.

Just to be clear here is how "standard edition" and "game" is defined for the sake of the database criteria:

"standard edition": A standard edition release is defined as the most highly distributed variant of a game. In instances where this is not clear it should be considered the most "basic" or "featureless" variant of a game.

"game": A game is defined as a piece of interactive software, uniquely identified by it's name, it's hardware platform, and it's release region. ie: a game with the same name released on 2 separate consoles are considered different games, and their release variants should not be compared when considering addition into the database.

LowlyAssassin
05-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Does something line this deserve a database entry?or does it fall under the "standard edition" rule
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/911YZxOp7aL._SY445_.jpg
Sorry for asking what may seem like an obvious question
But if this deserves an entry then a lot of games deserve entries that do not currently have them,
All that is different in this edition is what looks like an award or sticker on the box art, it is NOT a sticker it is printed onto the inlay? Box art, there is no other DLC or anything that differentiates this edition from a standard game copy

And feel free to remove this post if you wish to keep this information thread clean and simple

Edit
I see that this edition complies with point 4
Please feel free to delete this post

Platfus
05-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Czech Republic gets xzone edition from shop xzone. Its not a preorder bonus, this editions are available after release as well if its not sold out. Usually a steelbook, but sometimes a ring for example in GoW Ascension. Its not packed in any special box, you'll get it alone. Is it good to be in DB? Thats why I sent you the PM, because there is a lot of these czech edition.

kittychloe
05-20-2013, 04:46 AM
So its fine to have information missing like original purchase price, release date and where it could be bought from and still be entered into the database?

comaamen86
05-20-2013, 07:40 AM
So its fine to have information missing like original purchase price, release date and where it could be bought from and still be entered into the database?

release date usually manages to get found, price if no original rrp can be found it gets left blank, but that is rare, better to have an addition without price than none at all

kittychloe
05-20-2013, 12:24 PM
awesome now all i need is the base block to add things and time and boredom

HIPPEEDUDE
05-21-2013, 03:04 PM
One question,which maybe stupid. The original xbox had what is clased some limited or collectors editions however they had no DLC,just extras or different packaging. Should these be included in the database? I only ask as theres a couple missing(possibly more) from the database. For example there was a Medal of Honor Limited edition that came in a special package with a limited edition xbox controller(PAL)

comaamen86
05-21-2013, 03:09 PM
One question,which maybe stupid. The original xbox had what is clased some limited or collectors editions however they had no DLC,just extras or different packaging. Should these be included in the database? I only ask as theres a couple missing(possibly more) from the database. For example there was a Medal of Honor Limited edition that came in a special package with a limited edition xbox controller(PAL)

yeah if it is packaged together in a bundle example halo 3 odst pal controller edition

http://collectorsedition.org/game-db/halo-3-odst-collector-pack-360-ntsc

twistedsymphony
05-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Czech Republic gets xzone edition from shop xzone. Its not a preorder bonus, this editions are available after release as well if its not sold out. Usually a steelbook, but sometimes a ring for example in GoW Ascension. Its not packed in any special box, you'll get it alone. Is it good to be in DB? Thats why I sent you the PM, because there is a lot of these czech edition.

The next big feature I would like to add to the site is open up the database so anyone can create new entries. These member entries would be reviewed by the Proprietors before they would officially added to the database (seen publicly)... I have no timeline for this change but I'm hesitant about adding new Proprietors because of this.

comaamen86
05-21-2013, 04:22 PM
The next big feature I would like to add to the site is open up the database so anyone can create new entries. These member entries would be reviewed by the Proprietors before they would officially added to the database (seen publicly)... I have no timeline for this change but I'm hesitant about adding new Proprietors because of this.

good idea, how complete is the idea? have a few questions but not needed if it is only in the early stages

geralds
05-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Would make my duties easier with all the games Japan puts out ><.

twistedsymphony
05-22-2013, 04:08 PM
good idea, how complete is the idea? have a few questions but not needed if it is only in the early stages

It's just the concept stages now but it would obviously be based on the interface you guys already use to enter games.

comaamen86
05-22-2013, 04:17 PM
It's just the concept stages now but it would obviously be based on the interface you guys already use to enter games.

in terms of access to older additions will it be a free for all? or would it be restricted in terms of complete db additions

so like a submissions system?

kittychloe
05-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Would make my duties easier with all the games Japan puts out ><.

Then i could be of help :D

geralds
05-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Then i could be of help :D

I wish you the best of luck my friend. Slow down with releasing games already Japan gees ><.

SwiftDeath
05-22-2013, 09:17 PM
I wish you the best of luck my friend. Slow down with releasing games already Japan gees ><.

Sometimes I wonder if there is just some guy in Japan that has a literal house full of every japanese game release.......then I remember that they don't collect games :facepalm:

twistedsymphony
05-31-2013, 07:37 PM
in terms of access to older additions will it be a free for all? or would it be restricted in terms of complete db additions

so like a submissions system?

it would NOT be a free for all, it would be a submission system... the concept in my head is as follows:

Step 1: users have an interface similar to the one you use now, except they might be able to enter multiple consoles/regions for a single entry as well as a box for things like links or a brief description.

Step 2. Once submitted it would go into a new "approval" database, This would NOT be displayed on the main page however I might show a list of pending entries somewhere so people don't post duplicate,

Step 3: the proprietors would be able to look over the entries, make any changes necessary and then click an "approve" button to submit the information to the current database. I might also have some kind of "deny" functionality

Step 4: you'd still have to write the description but hopefully this will help streamline the process.

Other functionality: I'd like to keep track of who submitted what, so when you look at someone's profile it would show that so-and-so has submitted # of games to the database, and maybe a list of which ones they were responsible for.

I might also consider setting it up so that DB proprietors use this interface for new entries as well... but prevent you from approving your own entry... this would guarantee that every new entry into the database is looked at by at least 2 people. I'm still on the fence about this though.

Editing existing entries would work exactly how it does today, though if this gets completed and works well I might look into a similar mechanism for errors.

Platfus
05-31-2013, 08:16 PM
^Sounds cool :)

Irockz
06-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Does something like http://collectorsedition.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9412 count?

kittychloe
06-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Would several members be able to edit the same pending entry? just in case one member has information on an edition that the original poster may have overlooked or is that up to proprietors only?

HIPPEEDUDE
06-30-2013, 03:18 AM
Theres a mistake in the Database. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 we are Tekken is also listed available for the original Xbox,lol. Slight fubar but it happens:) Theres also quite a few original Xbox limited editions & special editions missing,so when i get some time i will post them here for you approval or disapproval.

twistedsymphony
06-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Does something like http://collectorsedition.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9412 count?
yes

Would several members be able to edit the same pending entry? just in case one member has information on an edition that the original poster may have overlooked or is that up to proprietors only?
no, allowing anyone to modify data like that opens up a whole host of problems... what if the first person is right and some else "fixes" it to be wrong? also keeping track of who changed what is a real pain.

Theres a mistake in the Database. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 we are Tekken is also listed available for the original Xbox,lol. Slight fubar but it happens:) Theres also quite a few original Xbox limited editions & special editions missing,so when i get some time i will post them here for you approval or disapproval.

thanks, but this is not the thread to do that, you should create a new thread for the missing entries/entries that need correcting.

comaamen86
07-02-2013, 03:07 AM

sorted that thanks, as said mistakes do happen every now and then if you spot any let me know and i will sort them

THEREALDEALDUDE
07-04-2013, 06:45 AM
I have a question on Rule 4

4 If the difference in package is due to a lower price point re-release (eg: a "platinum hits" re-releases, or console bundles) It must also include content that differs from the "standard edition".

I was just about to buy tomb raider (1996) on amazon when I clicked the Wikipedia link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(1996_video_game) and noticed it had a some sort of special edition I couldn't find it collectors edition.

I noticed this "shortly after the release of Tomb Raider II, Tomb Raider was re-released for Windows and released for the first time for Macintosh. This release, titled Tomb Raider Gold - The Shadow Of The Cat in North America, and Tomb Raider: Unfinished Business elsewhere, featured the regular game as well as two new expert chapters"

but my question would this one count as a special edition? since it includes demos?

"The Greatest Hits edition of the PlayStation version had added demos and videos of other Eidos games, although the content changed several times over the course of additional re-pressings of the game. The first version contained demos for Tomb Raider II and either one of Fighting Force or Ninja: Shadow of Darkness. The next print contained Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Tomb Raider III, and Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko playable demos with videos of Fear Effect and Fighting Force 2. A third edition included no playable demos, but rather a trailer for the Chicken Run video game and a viewable preview of the (at the time) upcoming PlayStation 2 launch title TimeSplitters"

please feel free to delete my post after you reply. :notworthy:

twistedsymphony
07-05-2013, 03:03 PM
I have a question on Rule 4

4 If the difference in package is due to a lower price point re-release (eg: a "platinum hits" re-releases, or console bundles) It must also include content that differs from the "standard edition".

I was just about to buy tomb raider (1996) on amazon when I clicked the Wikipedia link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(1996_video_game) and noticed it had a some sort of special edition I couldn't find it collectors edition.

I noticed this "shortly after the release of Tomb Raider II, Tomb Raider was re-released for Windows and released for the first time for Macintosh. This release, titled Tomb Raider Gold - The Shadow Of The Cat in North America, and Tomb Raider: Unfinished Business elsewhere, featured the regular game as well as two new expert chapters"

but my question would this one count as a special edition? since it includes demos?

"The Greatest Hits edition of the PlayStation version had added demos and videos of other Eidos games, although the content changed several times over the course of additional re-pressings of the game. The first version contained demos for Tomb Raider II and either one of Fighting Force or Ninja: Shadow of Darkness. The next print contained Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Tomb Raider III, and Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko playable demos with videos of Fear Effect and Fighting Force 2. A third edition included no playable demos, but rather a trailer for the Chicken Run video game and a viewable preview of the (at the time) upcoming PlayStation 2 launch title TimeSplitters"

please feel free to delete my post after you reply. :notworthy:

If the release is the ONLY version available for a given platform in a given region then it doesn't matter what they call it or what content it includes, it's not relevant for the database. It IS the standard edition at that point.

As for your your greatest hits demos and videos, I wouldn't count that either... I consider demos to be advertisement content, which isn't considered relevant when adding games to the database.

LowlyAssassin
07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Should something like this be added to the database?
Assassin'S Creed III - Allegiance Pack (http://store.ubiworkshop.com/assassins-creed/assassins-creed-III/accessories/others/assassins-creed-iii-allegiance-pack/)
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5600/5973c/products/255/images/1746/AllegiancePack_ficheproduit__22037.1366912670.386. 513.png

It comes in a funky outer box
(Its just a standard white box bit with a UbiWorkshop sticker placed perfectly in the top left corner)
Like this
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-aabwBzRTAF8/Ud_okU5RLwI/AAAAAAAADew/cYs38ASRoRI/s800/IMG_20130712_122823.jpg

Its the only product I have seen from UbiWorkshop that uses this white box (but.other releases may use it)
The box is sealed (although only with tape)
And there is a product label on it
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vhhs0sf6Afc/Ud_spLu1VqI/AAAAAAAADfY/S7abMjHDSng/s640/IMG_20130712_124443.jpg

kam1kaz3nl77
10-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Is something like this acceptable to the database?

http://www.nisamerica.com/news/20090824.html

Amercian Release for the DS:
- Japanese outer Premium Box
- American DS game
- 2 Figurines of Annie & Pepe

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p710/kam1kaz3nl77/My%20Game%20Collection%20Photos/Nintendo%20DS/overview_zps64753c7b.jpg (http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/kam1kaz3nl77/media/My%20Game%20Collection%20Photos/Nintendo%20DS/overview_zps64753c7b.jpg.html)

Altairezio
08-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Hi, how do i delete my posts so i can redo them, as got told i have to list all items im selling in one post, but for life of me i can figure out how to delete them

Mattiator
03-21-2017, 02:39 AM
Have a question on Rule 5: "Pre-Order bonuses included with a release are not considered part of the release unless the pre-order bonuses is some form of alternative packaging (such as a SteelBook) or somehow physically attached to the release".

Pre-ordered copies from Amazon.com of LangrisseR Re:Incarnation ~TENSEI~ for the 3DS came with an artbook and music CD, however in this case they are shrinkwrapped to the game's case, with no special additional packaging. Would this qualify as a limited edition under the 'physically attached' clause, or would it not count for this database since there was no special physical packaging beyond the shrinkwrap used to attach the artbook and CD to the game?