PDA

View Full Version : Storage and Temperatures

DerRichtende
06-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Hello dear collectors,

i have to ask a question... I don't have very much space left for my PS3 games collection in my living room. So i have to put some things into cardboard boxes and store them in the attic. But it could get very warm sometimes in the summertime there. I live in southern germany and i think there are countries with much warmer weather.

Could you tell me what experiences you have with warm weather and your collection, especially people who lives in very warm countries. What temperature do you have usually and how is your collection? Do i have to worry about warm temperatures???

I hope this isn't a silly question!

DerRichtende
06-20-2013, 03:33 PM
So... it is a silly question... i suppose?
Nobody living in hot countries here on the board?

vhal_x
06-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Not at all. It's actually a very smart question, however I live in notoriously rainy Scotland, so have no experience of living in a hot country with my collection.

I believe Lemur may have some tips for you, he lives in Singapore :) xx

Xmo
06-21-2013, 03:56 AM
My room sometimes get to around 80?F in august and september when the outside temp is 95 but nothing wrong with them. Unless your attic becomes an oven with temperatures higher than the outside temperature, you should be ok. I'm actually worry about my PVC statues on very cold weather though, but it never gets below 55?F...

kittychloe
06-21-2013, 08:12 PM
having been in qld (40ish Celsius) at times and while i wasn't a big collector back then what little i had only sustained damage from the ocean air its not so much the heat but moisture that damages things (rust and peeling glue), as long as you are not in a humid area, dry heat in a roof should be fine as long as you get some dust covers, perfect storage conditions are usually a cold environment most museums from my knowledge keep things cool

Dreamcazman
06-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Humidity and warmth can cause real damage, it's the perfect environment for mould to start growing. O_O

Dry heat shouldn't be too much of a problem just as long as everything is well protected and not in direct sunlight.

Lemur
06-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Well it's always warm over here (like 27-34 degrees celcius) and also humid. I keep the humidity in my room low with a dehumidifier and haven't had problems. Normal heat wouldn't be an issue as long as there's no moisture.

I think you should be more concerned with termites if you're storing stuff in cardboard boxes.

kittychloe
06-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Or cockroaches for things on vhs or cassette

aselwyn1
06-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Just make sure it's humid as then things will mold and make sure the box is sealed well so no animals find a home in your collection

DerRichtende
06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Thank you all very very much for your help and your opinions. It really helps me a lot!!!

We had really crazy wheater here in germany the last weeks. First it was non-stop-raining with temperatures around 15 Celsius,
then we had a very hot week with temperatures up to 37 Celsius and now we have clouds and rain with temperatures from 12 - 17 Celsius again...
its crazy... its always up and down!

I have a room next to the attic. This room was my child's room a long time ago.
In summer it could get warm in there but not so warm as in the attic. And it's alwys more dry than humid up here.
I will buy a big closet with doors when the summer is over and put all the games and special editions in it.
In there my stuff will be safe from direct sunlight and perhaps the closet will keep away some temperature too...

Most of my games are still sealed and packed in small cardboard boxes in DVD size. Every cardboard box has space for 10 games.
Luckily i don't have issues with termites or other insects. Perhaps a spider sometimes and flies, but they don't get into those boxes...

Thank you again very much for your kind help. Now i am feeling much much better!