PDA

View Full Version : Need help on packaging/shipping.

v1sav1s
10-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm sorry if this might seem abrupt. I need to clear out some space and make some money back. First thing that I could think of was selling off parts of my collection (AC stuff to be exact). But I've never shipped/packaged large parcels before! Hopefully you can help with some questions:

1. Where do you prefer to buy packing supplies (boxes, bubblewrap, peanuts, etc)? Or do you prefer to let the courier pack it for you?

2. Which courier service do you use to ship valuables domestically/internationally?

3. Do you have more wisdom to impart?

This isn't a reservation thread, just for me to acquire/assess any and all info that you can provide. I'll be occupied for the next week; I'll post a thread of what's for sale when I'm ready to ship.

Thank you for reading! :notworthy::hug:

SwiftDeath
10-28-2013, 12:16 AM
1. Where do you prefer to buy packing supplies (boxes, bubblewrap, peanuts, etc)? Or do you prefer to let the courier pack it for you?

Not to be mean, but have you never really used a courier before?

I have never known of a courier packing something for you. It is on you to package your items in all cases.

Are you planning to sell in lots or individually? Individiual sales will get you more money but will take more time/effort investement on your end

In either case I usually buy boxes from Office Depot, Target or staples

For bubblewrap and peanuts, buy from ebay as way way way overpriced at the stores I mentioned (can also buy boxes from ebay)

2. Which courier service do you use to ship valuables domestically/internationally?

I use USPS for pretty much everything. UPS and Fedex only make sense domestically for 20 lbs or more

USPS is much much much cheaper in all other instances

Again lots vs individual sales will dictate how you should sell things the most

Lots are far harder to sell as dedicated collectors will likely already own some of a lot

Also buy a shipping scale -> For example I have this one http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_sop=15&_nkw=accuteck+digital+postal+scale&LH_BIN=1

Then you can estimate shipping prices here http://postcalc.usps.com/

Oh and pack things how you would like items you receive to be packed

comaamen86
10-28-2013, 07:25 AM
i has never used a courier before

Letrico
10-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Protip on the shipping scale I need to get one of those. My personal weighting machine is shit at accuracy :P

Airzonk
10-28-2013, 06:32 PM
I have never known of a courier packing something for you. It is on you to package your items in all cases.

The UPS Store offers this as a service. They will wrap, box and ship your item. Of course they will charge extra for it, so you're better off doing it yourself. I'm pretty sure Fedex Office offers this service as well.

amb6883
10-28-2013, 07:23 PM
try listing on craigslist first it's free. Then you do not need to ship and no fees.

JHowler
10-28-2013, 07:58 PM

I get mine from Papermart (http://www.papermart.com/). The have a lot of packing stuff. I always pack the stuff I send myself. If you want it done right, do it yourself. lol.

Domestically, I use UPS, USPS and FedEx, depending on the speed the stuff is needed.
Internationally, I have used freight forwarders for huge boxes, USPS for letters and some almost flat items and FedEx for important documents and larger boxes with fragile stuff.

Pack them well. Don't skimp on the packing stuff. I prefer bubble wrap vs packing peanuts or airbags. And reinforce boxes for stuff you don't want caving in or getting crushed. I have successfully sent a 32" LCD using a freight forwarder and it didn't get any damage. I've also sent a few dozen build model kits and the bubble wrap I used kept them safe.

Platfus
10-29-2013, 07:11 AM
When I'm getting something from a shop, I'm using courier (TNT, PPL)
All my materials I use are from job when I got something or from previous trades. But I can buy it from post, they actually offer that.

v1sav1s
10-29-2013, 11:18 PM
@SwiftDeath Thank you, that's a lot of insightful info right there. Yep, :blush: I've never packed or sent boxes, but that'll change (soon?). I thought I might be mistaken about couriers packing stuff for us! :facepalm::rotf: btw, do you usually need to stay at home to sign for those packing materials? it would be really funny if we had to do that. Thanks again, hopefully I can get started soon.

@comaamen86 Thanks I guess. But if you do think of any tips, let me know, I'm sure everyone has some tricks they can share.

@Letrico Indeed.

@Airzoink Thanks. I could've misinterpreted what they were doing at the office, but it did seem like they (ups, usps) were packing stuff for the customers. Might be wrong still. But you're probably right, it's best to do it ourselves.

@amb6883 Thank you. That idea did briefly cross my mind. But it'll be the last alternative cause of past experience with craigslist. I tried meeting up with people only for them to get lost or not bother showing up (and subsequently ignoring my call). I tried giving others my address (which did work a little better for a while, especially when I sold that old crt tv) but after selling a few things my house was coincidentally burglarized. Not saying an Assassin's Creed fan will steal my florins but I might catch another wrong eye. :scratch::facepalm: Selling here could give me a chance to pass these on to fans that are more passionate than myself. Thanks though, it's still something to consider.

@JHowler Hey thanks for joining and sharing. Your info will come in handy. I'll have to look into reinforced boxes too. :drool:

@Platfus Thanks. I do have some old materials laying around so I might use those first if it's okay with you guys. :wave:

SwiftDeath
10-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Protip on the shipping scale I need to get one of those. My personal weighting machine is shit at accuracy :P

Happy to help :D

That scale I linked to is very good. Cheap but accurate and works up to 50lbs :thumb:

The UPS Store offers this as a service. They will wrap, box and ship your item. Of course they will charge extra for it, so you're better off doing it yourself. I'm pretty sure Fedex Office offers this service as well.

Was unaware of that. Would like you recommend doing it yourself though as packing correctly is of paramount importance

@SwiftDeath Thank you, that's a lot of insightful info right there. Yep, :blush: I've never packed or sent boxes, but that'll change (soon?). I thought I might be mistaken about couriers packing stuff for us! :facepalm::rotf: btw, do you usually need to stay at home to sign for those packing materials? it would be really funny if we had to do that. Thanks again, hopefully I can get started soon.

No problem I am more than happy to answer when and where I can :)

When you have packing materials shipped to you from ebay or an online store, it is very unlikely that you would have to sign for them as they are not that valuable and therefore sellers/retailers would see signature-confirmed a waste of money

Feel free to PM if you have questions in the future and I'll do the best I can to answer them :)

Sorry to hear about your collection though, hope it's not too much of a down-sizing

v1sav1s
10-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Ok, took some pics. Before I do anything else I was hoping to get input from as many of you as possible. I haven't taped the bubblewrap sheathing the tin. Pretend you bought this item from me, do you think this is adequate (especially for overseas delivery)? edit: there are 2 layers of bubblewrap around the tin.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3731/10578280884_0c4f8b17f7_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5541/10578249476_934f5ac9b1_c.jpg