PDA

View Full Version : Cutting back on collecting?

vhal_x
10-29-2013, 06:49 PM
I've spoken to a few people lately (other collectors I mean), and I get the impression that I'm not the only one that is struggling with the speed in which companies are releasing things at, these days. (Zavvi - I'm looking at you with your bloody steelbooks!)

I mean, we've got 8 weeks left until Christmas, and whilst I've heavily cut back on the number of preorders I have, things are still pretty tight.

So, has anyone else had a preorder cull lately? Or made the decision to cut back on their collecting habits?

For us, we have decided to now focus just on games, movies and TV shows that we actually love and are excited about. I know obviously a lot of people do this already (since it's the smart option!) but for us, it seemed a bit alien at first as we're so used to just trying to get anything and everything.

So with that in mind, all we have left this year are:

- Lego Marvel Superheroes.
- Xbox One Day One Edition.
- Dead Rising 3.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 3DSXL.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE Guide.
- Breaking Bad: The Complete Series CE.

And then the rest of our spending money will be going to our son's birthday, Christmas for each other - we're getting each other the Zelda CE Guide Boxset (one for him, and one for me), Allan is getting me ACIV Black Chest CE and I'm getting him Ryo Hazuki Exclusive statue - and Christmas for our son and our families and friends :)

So have you found yourself cutting back on things lately? What preorders have you got left this year? xx

Biggav4000
10-29-2013, 08:50 PM
I know exactly what you mean ,I have decided to quit movie steelbook collecting,and also PC and WII CE's,I will now be solely concentrating on 360 consoles ,CE'S and press kits :(

ingmar1988
10-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Yeah, you easily lose focus.

I agree there are to many releases, but especially to many variants (im looking at you Assassins Creed).

Personally, im only going to collect for ps3/ps4 (what i already did).
Plus im going more collecting for games i really like, instead of getting a complete collection.

For me

- sony press kits (all of them) plus press kits of games i really like
- sony Ce (all of them, if there are multiple CE's i get only the nicest one).
- Assassins creed (sadly everything).
- giclee/lithographs of my favorite games.
- Steelbooks and CE's of my favorite games.

Main franchises to collect.
- Assassins Creed
- Watch Dogs (soon to be)
- Destiny (soon to be, i have high hopes for this game).
- God of War
- Uncharted.
- Final Fantasy
- Metal Gear

Not going to buy:
- expensive statues, although i really love them
- cheap CE of games i don't like, its very tempting but it takes to much room and money together.
- limited editions consoles/handhelds.

comaamen86
10-29-2013, 09:17 PM
generally me franchises are last of us, ni no and wanna start on watchie doggies

but you cut back all the time without thinking, i see load of nice stuff but i cant get it, dont make feel crappy as i am grateful for what i do get

me list

ps4
battlefield
ac4 skull
nfs rivals german steel
and a couple games for xmas

i will get odds and ends every now and then

but the above alone is more than enough

comaamen86
10-29-2013, 09:19 PM
- expensive statues, although i really love them
- cheap CE of games i don't like, its very tempting but it takes to much room and money together.
- limited editions consoles/handhelds.

im with you on all of this mr gar

Letrico
10-29-2013, 11:07 PM
I had to cut back a lot as well :(

The only thing I have left is:

CoD Ghost Prestige (I never miss any prestige. I like those big boy toys lol)
X1 Day 1 + Live + Controller + Forza (some bundle thing)
Lightning Returns Premium Edition
Bravely Default CE

nipperkipper
10-30-2013, 12:36 AM
i have cut back and especially on pre orders - i pre order far less than i used. The 10-20% items that do sell out that i want i would just buy from a reseller here or ebay using the savings from reduced CE's compared to what i would have paid on pre order and still work out better

Does this make sense?

SwiftDeath
10-30-2013, 12:47 AM
I have cut back a bit although I don't really limit my franchises I collect for as well as I should

Want to focus on

Fallout
Uncharted & TLOU
Assassin's Creed
Bioshock

But it's hard

My lack of steelbook collecting has been paying for my art collecting unfortunately

Twisted
10-30-2013, 07:25 AM
I was wondering if anyone is willing to take on the challenge of a complete XBOX ONE or PS4 game collection for their respective regions?..to go "sealed" on that too?...if you start now, I wonder if it's doable?...I have already cut back I rarely buy steelbook anymore..just seems there losing there exclusivity, there everywhere all the time now..just a common packaging option nowadays..not that special anymore..and I quit assassins creed because it's pretty obvious game get's pumped out every year..and there's always going to be multiple skus worldwide..and likewise I already quit on the COD series.

Platfus
10-30-2013, 07:18 PM
I dont havet to cut back because I'm not getting much things already :D But I moved onto
Assassin's Creed ( Yeah, hated last few weeks but maybe gonna co tinue with collecting it)
Borderlands
Uncharted (want to start, already have something)
God of War (want to start, already have something)
The Last of Us ( I will see if the game will be blockbuster for me :D Y'know, no monies, haven't tried it yet :D )

rapister
11-24-2013, 06:57 AM
dont feel too discouraged everyone... its christmas season, game releases are much more compared to rest of the year.

vhal_x
11-24-2013, 12:06 PM
After I made this thread, I then had to cancel all of the Zelda stuff (CE, 3DSXL and CE guide) too, as I just can't afford it.

Hope that next year is easier. Also, planning on saving some each month to assist with times like this :/ xx

Sylfaris
11-24-2013, 06:37 PM
well as (may) some of you have noticed (lately) i stopped writing much on this forum - the reason was the overdose of buying ce's i don't even really care about ... (some games like God of War and some CE-Guide things) so i totally stopped reading here and get some things in my life fixed ... like relationship with my gf etc.

I really now will just focus on Zelda my fav. games (no ac anymore :D) i also canceled My ps4-preorder - right now. *click*

Bye Bye PS4 ~:surrender: