PDA

View Full Version : I'm back! Quick question about room temperatures.

vhal_x
03-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Hey guys :)
I'm back, kinda. Not fully back into collecting everything right now as I just simply can't afford it, however we have a games room now *wooooo* But I've been pretty much avoiding the forums lately due to lack of money (thus avoiding temptation!), being ill, and other "IRL" stuff getting in the way.

Anyway, our games room is FREEZING. Like, constantly. It has no heat source, the windows are permanently closed (not that them being open would heat it up anyway!) and the blinds are permanently down to prevent too much sunlight getting in.

All of the walls are covered with the shelving we have, bar the wall that our built in wardrobe in on, so that obviously can't get covered. The floor is laminate.

I'd say the room is always cold enough to be noticeably cold, like, if you walk into it, you can automatically feel the drop in temperature.

Is this bad for my editions and stuff? Or is this a better thing than if it was to be too hot?

You all know roughly what I have anyway, I don't keep things sealed (except a small portion of things), I have 200+ steelbooks, etc.

Any advice? xx

Dan
03-06-2014, 05:58 PM
My advice is...

pictures, lots and lots of pictures :)
I would love to see your game room :yes:

Ayiu
03-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Welcome back :hug:

I think the temperature doesn't matter that much as long as there is no moisture. But you must be careful, cold rooms tend to produce condensed water if the windows are not completely sealed. So you should check your windows from time to time if there are any water deposits.

comaamen86
03-06-2014, 06:32 PM
you went away?

just kidding v,stop buying leggings and get some games, also you dont have to be buying to be foruming, even kenny had a lead role in south park

vhal_x
03-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Haha, yeah it's the leggings that all my money is going on now :P hey, at least I'll be dressed well in my umboxings! Gonna do loads over the next few weeks. Had planned on doing some this week but I've been ill so my throat is all rough and I sound like a guy haha :D

ooh, good point Kat, my windows do get all condensation because they're so shit. Eek, will need to figure out a way to deal with that :) xx

comaamen86
03-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Haha, yeah it's the leggings that all my money is going on now :P hey, at least I'll be dressed well in my umboxings! Gonna do loads over the next few weeks. Had planned on doing some this week but I've been ill so my throat is all rough and I sound like a guy haha :D

ooh, good point Kat, my windows do get all condensation because they're so shit. Eek, will need to figure out a way to deal with that :) xx

dehumideifier tablet/box on the window sill should absorb the condensation

dont ask why i know this, i just do

http://www.amazon.co.uk/151-Products-LTD-Interior-Dehumidifier/dp/B005MZ1EJE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1394131067&sr=8-4&keywords=de+humidifier

and dont worry your neck of the woods there is no male or female

you just sound scottish :taunt:

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/285x214/178822_1.jpg

Doomsayer
03-12-2014, 09:14 AM
If I remember right they have suggested around 21-23C. and so low levels of UV that are possible.

Edit::

From book museum they suggest around 18C, 50% humidity and low to none level of UV. So.. Maybe 18-20 for games and I won't suggest any humidity. But those are from museum conservation site. If you want more information from them, I can translate or you can find english site about this subject. :)

Sylfaris
03-12-2014, 09:29 AM
warm welcome back :)

Doomsayer
03-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Yeah, also. Welcome back. I did kinda same thing and almost in same time :O Is this our destiny?

Doomsayer
03-12-2014, 10:42 AM
If I figure out somekind of "basic plan" and start a own thread for it where people can comment and we create multiple plans for storaging collection? Does it sounds like a good idea?

flatout
03-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Welcome back vhal!

I think the biggest issue like other have said is moisture but also rapid movements in temperature.

I would say a cooler room is better then a really warm one but I could be wrong on that. But I do know you do not any fast fluctuations in temperature as this can cause condensation.

LowlyAssassin
03-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Welcome back v
I missed you

Gemini-Phoenix
10-16-2014, 01:50 PM
I would say colder is better, but I wouldn't want to store my collection below 5 degrees as it could cause water molecules or even ice crystals to form inside carts (especially inside sealed items or items inside poly bags). Too cold and paper inlays and cardboard boxes will start to get damp and go wavy.

Heat is also not ideal. Extreme heat can also cause condensation inside sealed games and poly bags, and can also cause certain types of shrinkwrap to continue shrinking, leading to sharp corners poking through. Take special care if you own sealed items and try to avoid extremes of temperature - I personally turn off the radiator in the winter, and make sure that the room is well blinded and ventilated in the summer

Humidity is the biggest problem you should be considering here in the UK as we are usually between 90%-100% humid, which causes damage to paper inlays and cardboard CE's / old Nintendo games, and can also leave a horrible dirty residue on the plastic cover of your modern games (similar to nicotine stains)

I would say anywhere between 10 and 25 degrees Centigarde is ideal temperature conditions. Any higher / lower than that, and you should really keep a constant check on your items to make sure they aren't being adversely affected

flatout
10-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Humidity and rapid changes in temperature at the worst things for a collection.