PDA

View Full Version : Info for UK Members who import frequently.

Cosmic_Link
03-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi guys. :D

As we all know, import fees and duty when importing items into the UK is a joke. 15GBP limit before being taxed on goods and 38GBP limit before tax on gift items. What's more annoying than having to pay import tax though? Paying courier's Admin fees. I don't know about anybody else, but it absolutely grieves me to have to pay 8-15GBP for carrier fees on top of the VAT.

As some of you may already know, these fees are added by the carrier because they have paid the customs charges to HMRC, for the clearance of your parcel, so they may deliver it to you. You are not given any choice at this point to pay the charges directly to HMRC. :(

Anyway, the other day I was thinking, is there not any way that the import tax can be pre-paid to avoid having to pay further carrier charges when the item reaches the UK. So I did some googling and come across a post on another forum with a tip on how to avoid carrier fees and I thought you guys may be interested. :D Here is the post I found with a link to the original post below for those who are interested. :D I hope this helps some UK members here. :D

The post below is specific to parcelforce, but there is no reason that it wouldn't work with other carriers too.

It used to be that you could avoid the Parcelforce handling charge for clearing imported goods through customs by paying only the required duty and VAT, point blank refusing to pay the handling charge. In my experience, Parcelforce would back down and release your parcel because it was illegal for them to retain your items by way of a lien pending payment of their handling charges. Invariably they would say they would invoice you separately for the charge later, but again in my experience that never actually happened and there are several cases taken to the small claims court which have been lost by Parcelforce on the basis that the actual amount of the charges were opaque and unreasonable.

Well, it seems like that loophole in the postal services act has now been closed and Parcelforce is perfectly at liberty to retain your goods pending full payment of duty, VAT AND their handling charge.

So I was pleased to find another way to avoid the charge that is simplicity itself. You could ask the sender to charge you the VAT and duty directly, but that involves them registering with HMRC. Very unlikely to happen.

Much easier is to get the sender to write on the customs declaration "Goods to be Customs cleared by the importer" . No handling charge will be payable and you will receive an invoice for customs that you have to pay directly. It will delay things slightly, but probably no more than the way Parcelforce send you a letter normal post with website link to pay duty plus their handling fee, then promising to deliver within a further 5 working days. If you really want to be belt and braces, ask the sender to take a quick pic of the labelled up parcel and declaration with their mobile phone, just in case Parcelforce decide to ignore the instructions (wouldn't be the first time) and try and charge you anyway. You can always ask the sender to email the pic to you if it proves necessary.

So save yourself 8GBP or 13.50GBP and deal with HMRC directly yourself.

Source (http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/181183-importing-the-parcelfarce-handling-charge-and-how-to-avoid/)

Cosmic_Link
03-31-2014, 03:14 PM
Cheers for moving this. I assume it was Mos. :thumb:

Maybe somebody will see this now and may be helpful to some members! XD

sneaksgalore
03-31-2014, 03:22 PM
Cheers for this cosmic it's cost me 48 this last month hope all senders can adopt this procedure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ingmar1988
03-31-2014, 03:33 PM
just ask sender to declare lower value. Works like a charm

Cosmic_Link
03-31-2014, 03:49 PM
just ask sender to declare lower value. Works like a charm

It does, but some sellers aren't happy with sending items with a lower declared value on the declaration and ebay sellers especially, almost always send items as "merchandise".

Plus in the case of insuring a valuable package, having the full value declared is vital just incase there is need for a claim.

Gazereths
04-01-2014, 12:10 AM
It makes me laugh that some eBay sellers won't declare lower values to avoid duty, when ThreeA will do it no problem, they declared my MGS REX @ $60 lol.

Cheers for the info though Cosmic, I'll give it a try next time I import something and see if it works.

Cosmic_Link
04-01-2014, 09:22 PM
It makes me laugh that some eBay sellers won't declare lower values to avoid duty, when ThreeA will do it no problem, they declared my MGS REX @ $60 lol.

Cheers for the info though Cosmic, I'll give it a try next time I import something and see if it works.

Yeah, tell me about it. >.< I can understand with more expensive items and when insurance is involved, but when the items are relatively cheap, just mark them down. >.< I've just had a custom slip drop through the door for a game I ordered and the seller never marked it down, nor marked as a gift. The tax was 3.17GBP, but the total cost I have to pay is 11.17GBP. How can the postal services justify that!? >.< This was obviously before I stumbled across this solution. Hopefully it solves this issue. lol

How much did ThreeA mark the MGS REX down from? I'm not sure how much it was at RRP. XD I remember it being quite a hefty sum though! XD Fair play to them. lol

Eros
04-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Have any of you tried paying HMRC directly using this method?

Cosmic_Link
04-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Have any of you tried paying HMRC directly using this method?

Only once before have I ever paid HMRC directly and that was when Yodel collecting the incoming package and I was invoiced by HMRC and was only billed for the VAT.

Gazereths
04-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Yeah, tell me about it. >.< I can understand with more expensive items and when insurance is involved, but when the items are relatively cheap, just mark them down. >.< I've just had a custom slip drop through the door for a game I ordered and the seller never marked it down, nor marked as a gift. The tax was 3.17GBP, but the total cost I have to pay is 11.17GBP. How can the postal services justify that!? >.< This was obviously before I stumbled across this solution. Hopefully it solves this issue. lol

How much did ThreeA mark the MGS REX down from? I'm not sure how much it was at RRP. XD I remember it being quite a hefty sum though! XD Fair play to them. lol

If I recall correctly it cost $480.

Dan
04-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Does lowering the value of the item matter to in regards to insurance value?
What I mean is, let's say you mention value of the item is $20 dollars. So will the item get insured for 20 dollars when the item is truly worth $200??

Hope that made sense :X lol

LyricalOne
04-02-2014, 04:23 AM
Does lowering the value of the item matter to in regards to insurance value?
What I mean is, let's say you mention value of the item is $20 dollars. So will the item get insured for 20 dollars when the item is truly worth $200??

Hope that made sense :X lol

Yeah basically this is the risk when sending high priced items.

If you value a "poster" at $5 USD, chances are the person receiving the item won't pay import fees at all.

Now say the item got damaged in the tube on the way there, and say it was one of those rare posters that are valued at about $200 USD, you would only get $5 covered IF you win your case.

Dan
04-02-2014, 05:13 AM
Yeah basically this is the risk when sending high priced items.

If you value a "poster" at $5 USD, chances are the person receiving the item won't pay import fees at all.

Now say the item got damaged in the tube on the way there, and say it was one of those rare posters that are valued at about $200 USD, you would only get $5 covered IF you win your case.

Sounds like a sweet deal :P

Gazereths
04-02-2014, 06:08 AM
You have to prove what the thing being posted was worth, invoice, receipt, ebay auction or whatever. You're insured up to the maximum amount of the policy taken out. The declared value might come into play but you can always argue that you had no knowledge of what the sender declared, or that it was a mistake on the form. Also the carrier, not the customs office would deal with the claim. It's very much a grey area and a risk you have to weigh up.

LyricalOne
04-02-2014, 04:37 PM
You have to prove what the thing being posted was worth, invoice, receipt, ebay auction or whatever. You're insured up to the maximum amount of the policy taken out. The declared value might come into play but you can always argue that you had no knowledge of what the sender declared, or that it was a mistake on the form. Also the carrier, not the customs office would deal with the claim. It's very much a grey area and a risk you have to weigh up.

Well here in the states, if you send via USPS, the declared value is what the package is insured up to in most cases.

And yes if you value an item at a high price, they will of course ask for invoices/proof.

It's definitely worth it when you are just sending smaller items, but not if it's a $1000 dollar K. Levine signed item :lmao:

Gazereths
04-02-2014, 11:06 PM
They should just abolish customs and VAT charges....... And postage and packing and tax and the cost of the item and national insurance and food and drink..... Everything should be free..... At least to me , I'm special.