PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on Display & Storage Options

KnightOfTruth
10-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Hi there everyone! So we're moving later this month and I'll have an "office" again and also a large basement that can easily be redone to have a finished-type room down there. I haven't yet decided where I want to display my collection (basement or office room) though the basement is winning at the moment for the whole "kids & cats free" zone.

So I was wondering if any of you who collect CEs and bits & bobs had the option for your own display room (and those who already have one) what are some things you'd like to have or some specific shelving/cases/etc. that you'd recommend?

I've seen some nicely done rooms online before, but wanted the "expert" opinion of all you fine folk here! Thanks in advance for any recommendations, pictures, and tips!

GameTrigger
10-03-2014, 03:41 PM
1. Humidity
2. Humidity
3. Humidity

KnightOfTruth
10-04-2014, 02:34 AM
Okay, got it! So I'll be sure to get a humidifier down there and probably just leave a few buckets of stagnant water! Thanks for the protip! ;) Anybody else got some other great tips, suggestions, or pics?

xhunter
10-04-2014, 03:36 AM
Okay, got it! So I'll be sure to get a humidifier down there and probably just leave a few buckets of stagnant water! Thanks for the protip! ;) Anybody else got some other great tips, suggestions, or pics?

I've always found basements to be too humid, so you might need to do the opposite.

As for shelving units, I love Expedit/Kallax from IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/27534/). It fits my needs perfectly for storing and displaying collectibles.

I got a question for you! I see you mentioned cats. My fiancée is interested in getting a cat at some point in the future, but I hate the idea of cat hair getting all over the house and especially my collection. Any suggestions for that?

Twisted
10-04-2014, 04:17 AM
i have always dreamed about having custom built to spec fitted shelving with custom professional led lighthing through out...i have seen some amazing set ups in magazines for model car collectors, etc..i would personally go with IKEA and the Container Store...all my games etc, are in cardboard boxes stored away due to having a lot of difficulties in life right now..but some day, i will build my dream room :D

KnightOfTruth
10-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I checked out Ikea last weekend (or the one before? can't remember now time is flying by) but I didn't really see much that caught my eye -- I'm hoping the container store will have some good options, otherwise it'll have to be a custom work which I'd rather NOT do just because we're not going to end up staying at this place for ever, but at least if I DO go that route and make some mistakes I can know better for the next place ;)

By the way, Twisted, do you have any links to some of those other rooms? I'm interested in seeing other examples so I've got an idea about where to start with mine!

Twisted
10-20-2014, 07:05 AM
to tell you the truth, the links or ideas I was referring to indeed they pretty much all use the IKEA media shelves..that are designed for DVD's and Blu-rays..they fill'em up with standard games, and they look neat on display..other people use media movie shelves that are available from Best Buy but the consensus is the IKEA ones are of better quality..if your not fond of IKEA products, you may have to go with custom build,..but most of these game room tour videos are 90% standard game cases, or used game cases..i'can't recall seeing a game room display that is exclusive to collectors editions..with all the various size and weight of the packages, I think it would be very difficult to fit them in standard bookcases..custom is the only solution at this point?

Iwatasan
10-20-2014, 09:48 AM
You'd also want to make sure there's no chance the basement could flood in some kind of freak storm or whatever.

I haven't looked into this much myself yet but what about cabinets with glass/plexiglass/etc doors on the front to keep out the kids and cats? You could set up in your office and not worry about moisture issues in the basement.

If your particular basement isn't prone to those kinds of issues though, go for that. Put a TV in there and make it a gaming room. A video game collection would make more sense in a game room than an office probably.

Super jealous by the way, can't wait to have my own house for this purpose specifically.