PDA

View Full Version : Awkward moment in collecting

CrossSleet
12-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Hi there,
im not posting much on this forums but i honestly love every piece of it.
Im now in very awkward moment in my life if it comes to collecting stuff - i would like other people opinions on this matter.

I always loved games - but in my younger days it was all about PC and illegal copies. Never owned original game, nor any console. Done.

Then i went on my own and started getting into this hobby - bought first console (x360) and first games. Never though about spending millions on CE or stuff like that. I was good with standard copies etc.

Now i own ps4,ps3,x360 and wii and good amount of games on every console. Now, because of this weird time when game generations overlap im in kinda weird moment.

I began to be tired with my collection. Don't know how to write about it - it feels ''hard''. Previous generation doesn't get love nowadays. No new games and i lack motivation to buy older ones (graphic and overall issues, when you own ps4, and then try to play on x360...). I think many of my games aren't good enough. I own games i really love (Mass Effect series) but also games i just played and never will try again. I think my collection is mess and those ''mid level'' games are in the way. Went quantity over quality in my opinion.
But then - if i sell those games i'll stick with like 10 copies and then i dont thinks its practical to keep x360 or ps3. Plus my older consoles are like getting messy and i feel they can break any moment - if they do i won't buy them again, so whats the point?

Next - im thinking hard what to do in future, what to focus on? Just buy PS4 games or rather try to get better copies of my fav games? I'll love watching pics of epic MGS collections but im not convinced i need my own.

Summary:
- what are you collecting? every games or focusing on something? I always though buying game, playing and reselling it was kind of ass move but now i wonder? If i buy game i want to keep it but in time im losing cool and think ''why bother? I wont ever play it again''

- will you keep your collection when older consoles will go to deep sleep? Will you buy these platforms again? What to do when generations overlap? Old platforms won't get many games but collection never will be ''complete'' - are you focusing on new gen or upgreade old gen pieces?

Overall i feel tired and don't know why. I decided to sell games i won't ever play - mostly craps, but when i put it on sale then i felt like my collection just might vanish or decrease to really low level of games. Then i just can become ''sunday'' gamer and start playin angry birds perhaps? Im scared of that...

Sorry for long post of bullshit mates

Gazereths
12-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Well I try to focus on a couple of specific franchises, trying to collect everything for say PS4 would be impossible almost. I'm not bothered what generation the games or items were released for, but obviously most new stuff is going to be current generation unless it's like a HD remake/remaster.

Maybe you should pick a franchise or type of game/collectable and stick to it.

CrossSleet
12-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm yet to discover my ''fated'' franchise. I love Mass Effect and Metal Gear series but im not into these collector items.

My main problem is im kind of perfectionist and i dont know how to make my collection ''complete''. Right now im struck with variety of random games.

GameTrigger
12-26-2014, 01:47 PM
I love Mass Effect and Metal Gear series but im not into these collector items.

First try collect and play all games in series - there are a lot of MG games ;)

xhunter
12-26-2014, 02:48 PM
I don't collect games like some people do. I focus my collection on only a couple franchises (Bioshock being my big one) and Xbox hardware. I've bounced around between different types of video game collecting over the years, but I am pretty happy to have a big focus on Bioshock and Xbox hardware. They just feel right. :)

My suggestion is to figure out what interests you the most with video games and start collecting there (whether it be a specific franchise, hardware, all games on a specific platform, etc.).

CrossSleet
12-26-2014, 03:31 PM
If it's about MGS then i think i played most important ones - mgs1, mgs2, mgs3 snake eater and mgs4 - now looking forward GZ.

Im kind of ashmed of my problem. I do know people have more important matters in life and i sound like these ''1st world problems'' meme now.

It's not even matter of collecting franchise or something. It's more about having good collection of games i won't be ashmed when im older (im 24 now anyway).

For now i put on sell most of my games i don't really like or won't ever replay them. Keep the important ones. I'll also try to upgreade my games to better editions because i have only standard ones. First buy is steelbook edition of Dragon Age Origins (cus i love steelbooks). Next i'll try buying Mass effect CE (even if i think theyre pretty empty but steelbooks still....).

I don't know if it's right thing to do. From like 50 games i'll end up with like 10 now but maybe it's better this way?

Im interested with something else. I know many people focus on some franchise but what about other games? For example: if you collect everything about MGS then what you do with other games? I think you still play other games but what? Resell them after play or keep them all on shelf?
Im more interested about collecting games itself than collector editions of games.

KnightOfTruth
12-27-2014, 03:04 AM
There's not really a "right" or "wrong" way to collect - its more a "right" or "wrong" way to collect for YOU! Sounds like you're still trying to figure out what that is. No problem there, nothing to be embarrassed about, and its not really awkward. Lots of people take awhile to figure out what they REALLY want to collect, some change their minds over and over again. It's not really a bad thing (unless you've got no self control and blow your budget out every month trying to support your "habit" or something like that ).

If you've got a bit of a thing about having a "complete" set (or whatever it is) then you'll either have to get over that, or make that your goal -- to get a "complete" set.

My collection sounds a bit like yours, a little bit of everything - I've got nintendo (since NES), Ps1/Ps2/PSp, and 360/Xbox1. Some games I just have because they're fun - they're not really part of the collection I display on here because they're not a special "edition" or they're not displayed in any grand fashion -- I just got a bunch of 'em cuz I like them. It wasn't until this afternoon that I even took any pictures of these things (and only got through a few boxes at that) -- but some people just collect everything that catches their fancy (and it can be one of the most impressive collections!).

If budgeting is an issue - and you're looking to upgrade to "special editions" then you can always try trading/selling your standard copies for those, or just try picking them up cheap, there's always deals to be found for the patient.

I can't really help you with the crossing generation thing though -- you have to decide if there's any reason to keep your "last gen" stuff:
- do you like any of the games you have or that were available (that you don't yet have) enough to play them again or later?
- is it worth more to you to sell the generation now and invest in the "next gen" or will the collection you already have potentially be worth more $ down the road?
- it sounds like graphics etc. are important to you, is it more important to you that you have shiny new games to play in your collection or more important that you have a "big" or "complete" collection (these aren't always mutually exclusive, but collecting for ps3 generation is likely a lot cheaper on average than ps4 generation or going retro and collecting all the "rares" from ps1 generation for instance)

As others have said though, (and a motto I train others with in different areas of life) you'll burn yourself out trying to do everything perfect all the time and the results will be everything suffers for it (has less than stellar outcome), but if you focus all your energy/talents/resources on a few things, you can continually perform excellent. So yeah - find a goal, something you think you'll like to do - try it out, work at it, and be sure to share pics a long the way! ;)

:thumb:

xhunter
12-27-2014, 05:39 AM
Just to respond to selling games, I sell almost all my games once I am done playing with them. I use the store credit at GameStop to purchase future games. I keep a game every now and again if I think I'll play it again or if it is worth next to nothing at GameStop.

CrossSleet
12-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Some great advices! Thanks a lot, really.

@KnightOfTruth
- it's not really im graphic fag or something. Just try to play on Ps3 when someone plays on Ps4 (i have 2 tv), it's just overwhelming ;)
Thanks for reply - i think it can be done. My problem is i really love games and worry about them too much i think. I'll restart my collection and i hope it'll be fine. Your collection is awesome. I both love CE but there always is problem with them: it's buy good CE or 2-3 games? I play a lot so its often the second. I just need games for my spare time ;)
I don't have anything nice in my collection so i don't think its okay to post about it (only 1 CE and 2 Limited).

@xhunter
I don't think i can play like that. I kind of need to have some copies to make my own game library. I really hope to get nostalgic when im old and try to play them ;)

Iwatasan
12-27-2014, 10:46 AM
I know many people focus on some franchise but what about other games? For example: if you collect everything about MGS then what you do with other games? I think you still play other games but what? Resell them after play or keep them all on shelf?
I always though buying game, playing and reselling it was kind of ass move but now i wonder? If i buy game i want to keep it but in time im losing cool and think ''why bother? I wont ever play it again''
Best idea, not ass move. Sell already played games now while still worth something, buy again later when cheaper if you really want to replay.

Overall i feel tired and don't know why. I decided to sell games i won't ever play - mostly craps, but when i put it on sale then i felt like my collection just might vanish or decrease to really low level of games. Then i just can become ''sunday'' gamer and start playin angry birds perhaps? Im scared of that...
I don't know if it's right thing to do. From like 50 games i'll end up with like 10 now but maybe it's better this way?
50 games or 10 what's the difference if you're replaying 0 of them? What you're worried about in general is playing games less often so what you need to realize is out with the old, in with the new. Something like GameFly would really streamline that process for you if they have anything like that in Poland.

Iwatasan
12-27-2014, 10:56 AM
I don't think i can play like that. I kind of need to have some copies to make my own game library. I really hope to get nostalgic when im old and try to play them ;)

Only a few reasons I see to hold onto a game or any physical possession

serves a functional purpose
you ascribe symbolic value to it
has monetary value that will increase over time (at a rate that exceeds inflation and your maintenance/opportunity costs)

At some point all game cartridges and discs crap out. Consoles crap out way sooner. Everything would go in the trash at that point if it weren't for #2. #3 depends on there being a market when you try to sell, so if you wait until the game's console can't really be found in working order anymore, then the game's marketability depends entirely on #2.

Point is, given enough time, collecting any type of physical object is all about #2. Human beings have the capacity to treat physical objects, even ones without a functional purpose, as tangible symbols of sentimental value. Keeping them and conserving their condition is more about keeping and conserving the underlying memories and values we ascribe to them. Collecting (games or whatever) is an outgrowth of that tendency.

So in short, the only games you should be collecting for the long term are ones whose discs and cartridges you will still enjoy sentimentally as tangible symbolic artifacts long after they and the consoles that run them become useless junk.

If there are no games or franchises you feel that way about, you should honestly question why you want to collect physical copies of video games in the first place. Their functionality is so fleeting.

If there are some you feel that way about, collect them with the understanding that they will eventually become non-functional husks, good for nothing more than your aesthetic, tactile, sentimental pleasure. In the meantime enjoy the games they offer access to and don't worry about when that access will expire, you will probably be able to play at least digital versions if not reprints of them forever across various video game systems.

will you keep your collection when older consoles will go to deep sleep?
yes I'm the sentimental type

Will you buy these platforms again?
You mean when my SNES breaks will I buy someone else's SNES? And so on and so on until there are no more functioning SNES's left on the planet? No. But I would buy FC Twin type consoles until my SNES carts stopped working. Then I'd just play emulated versions, preferably with an SNES style controller if available. As a collector focused on the Zelda franchise, I'll still keep my copy of A Link to the Past even when it stops working, but my other non-functioning SNES carts will be sold, given away, or go in the trash at that point.

Iwatasan
12-27-2014, 10:57 AM
My main problem is im kind of perfectionist and i dont know how to make my collection ''complete''. Right now im struck with variety of random games.
What to do when generations overlap? Old platforms won't get many games but collection never will be ''complete'' - are you focusing on new gen or upgreade old gen pieces?
If you want the possibility of achieving a sense of completion with your game collection, and your stipulation for collecting is playing every game in that collection, and your stipulation for playing a game is good graphics, then pick a brand new game on current gen that has a sequel planned and start collecting that franchise as it develops.

CrossSleet
12-27-2014, 06:46 PM
damn, nice mindfu*k you did there ;)

Of course you're right and im kinda ashmed of myself now. It's true and i know colecting object without purpose is stupid idea. Games are different than other colectibles because mostly they lose on value and they're kind of ''not needed''.

I don't really know what i want to achieve at this point. Im sure i want to keep some of my games. Not much reason. Im not so in love with Mass Effect series but i still want to own these copies. But you're right. As i said before: im selling games i dont really like and will focus more on games i really want.