PDA

View Full Version : Fan Expo Questions

stavros27
08-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Hi folks,

I am considering going to the Fan Expo in Toronto this September, but the main reason I would want to go would be to buy some cool videogame promo items if they have them. I haven't been to any type of event like this before, so I was looking for some advice on what to expect.

How do you typically get the rare promo items from these events? Would different publishers have tables set up with items for sale? Would they be givnig them away? Would rare videogame items be available at an event like this?

Anything else a first timer should know? I'm brand new to collecting but now I want to find some cool, stuff.

Thanks for any help.

gurpswoo1
08-17-2015, 10:27 PM
Typically in these event, rare items will be sold by the private sellers at the market. Make sure you have a trained eye to determine if the items are reseal/fake, not saying they will be but best be careful. The price may likely be higher than those found elsewhere. Use the ebay app as a source, they should be the same/ under what they sell on ebay.

Items from the Publishers/Developers are mostly given away for free for promotional purposes, these include lanyards, posters, carry bags, etc.

There will be official stores selling items specific to the expo, such as limited run Posters and will not cost you a great deal.

The best thing about the expo are guests that turn up for the signing events, find out prior who is going to be there and get something they did to be signed. That is one of best things about these.

When you visit stands, don't be afraid to ask if they have any freebie or promotional items to give away. 50% chance they will give you something. Towards the end they will be rushing to get of everything anyway.

There are also normally panels, try to book those if you can.

Advice on going, take a bottle of water and some snacks if you can. It will get hot there and you will be surprised how many stands give out free water/drinks for this exact reason.

The food will horrendously expensive so take your own snacks and buy a small amount there if possible.

There should be plenty of Cosplay going on, stop a few and take a picture with them. Trust me they will love it and it's an easy way understand the culture there.

Hope that helps.

stavros27
08-18-2015, 02:36 AM
Thanks so much for your response. That was very informative. I'm trying to decide whether $60 is worth it to go, but I'm leaning on going to experience it all first hand and see if it is worth attending future events like it.

gurpswoo1
08-18-2015, 01:15 PM
That is quite expensive but each one is different and some are better value than others. Have a look at YouTube for others reaction and experience of the expo. The more videos the more popular the event.

Have fun

Sent from my HUAWEI MT2-L05 using Tapatalk

stavros27
08-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Yeah, it looks like the prices are different depending on the day. I was factoring in the train ticket with the admission since I won't be caught dead driving around or finding parking in Toronto :D

Do you know how I can find out which publishers might be appearing there? I do not see those details on the site. If someone like Square Enix is there to promote Hitman then I'd buy a ticket right now for the chance to get some cool Hitman items.