PDA

View Full Version : Help?

THEREALDEALDUDE
10-17-2015, 04:04 AM
Okay i am losing my mind with how many special editions there are

publishers release videogame special editions then there are specific to places, and by that i mean

Amazon Edition (Rare)
Uplay Edition (Not has rare anymore)
Square Enix Site Editions (becoming Common)
Gamestop Edition (Here and there from time to time)
Best Buy Edition (Becoming more and more)
Walmart Edition (more and more common)
Target Edition (VERY Rare To me atleast i have only seen this once so far)

Added
Atlus (Games by them through their website)

Any other editions i am missing?

Im not counting the special editions released everywhere or complete editions or game of the year i am talking about editions exclusive to one place.

Am i missing any?

This way i can and will add editions i miss.

0329liuken
10-17-2015, 07:11 AM
I won't call a game special edition if the only difference between it and a standard edition is one more DLC. For example, I won't call the target edition watch dogs you just posted a special edition.

There are tons of store exclusive editions if you include Asia and Europe.

KnightOfTruth
10-17-2015, 07:18 AM
I can see the argument for both ways considering many of the new "exclusive DLCs" have "Target Edition" or "Gamestop Edition" labeled right on the packaging itself. For someone who cared about collecting every packaged edition, I guess that would matter, but for most its just a "standard edition" with some retailer exclusive DLC.

Maybe as a community we should call those something else rather than "special" or "limited"?

Also, I think some of the things you're adding already have a thread for them? Not sure how the database works, but do we need a separate thread for each edition? Some threads I thought had multiple editions listed such as Ghost/Limited for Destiny or Limited/LCE for Halo 5? Again, not sure the protocol for how the database is uploaded, but just figured I'd mention it.

Anyway, thanks for taking it serious. I'm sure we all want to see a better and more thorough database here! :thumb:

THEREALDEALDUDE
10-17-2015, 11:19 PM
I won't call a game special edition if the only difference between it and a standard edition is one more DLC. For example, I won't call the target edition watch dogs you just posted a special edition.

There are tons of store exclusive editions if you include Asia and Europe.

You don't consider it a special edition i understand, i agree its not really "special" but it is in its own way a collectible which is what makes it a special edition is that the label is different and includes DLC not in the normal edition.

It is basically the same has a Day 1 Edition just with different names, on top of that which is why i added it.
On top of that when i added it the system already had a bunch of target and walmart editions so why include some and not all?

and one thing thats always straight up pissed me off is people argue back and fort and say this day 1 edition is a special and this one isnt when they are basically the same thing, same thing with game of the year editions why is 1 game added and the other not?

Add them all or remove them all no expectations.

and lastly i am following the rules

The packaging or content of the release must differ from the "standard edition" release in some way

Pre-Order bonuses included with a release are not considered part of the release unless the pre-order bonuses is some form of alternative packaging (such as a SteelBook) or somehow physically attached to the release

i was told a long time ago every single game of the year should be included by Twistedsymphony so the same is from walmart and target editions. I am not including pre order bonuses, just ones that change the cover art and Special DLC that are actually included in the game and not sent by email.

Thats my opinion you dont have to agree with me. now you and me can sing a :barsong:

THEREALDEALDUDE
10-17-2015, 11:32 PM
I can see the argument for both ways considering many of the new "exclusive DLCs" have "Target Edition" or "Gamestop Edition" labeled right on the packaging itself. For someone who cared about collecting every packaged edition, I guess that would matter, but for most its just a "standard edition" with some retailer exclusive DLC.

Maybe as a community we should call those something else rather than "special" or "limited"?

Also, I think some of the things you're adding already have a thread for them? Not sure how the database works, but do we need a separate thread for each edition? Some threads I thought had multiple editions listed such as Ghost/Limited for Destiny or Limited/LCE for Halo 5? Again, not sure the protocol for how the database is uploaded, but just figured I'd mention it.

Anyway, thanks for taking it serious. I'm sure we all want to see a better and more thorough database here! :thumb:

Will they never say gamestop on the label but it always called gamestop exclusive if it is a special edition released only by them so sometimes i add the addition as (Gamestop) or (Gamestop Exclusive) or without the parentheses. i know thats not what you asked but i wanted to clear it up because its nots a like the target or walmart edition where it actually says it on the label.

i wont repeat myself but the reply post i posted states the rules say it is a special edition, and plus the site is called collectors org not special editions which makes sense to include different versions of game even if small.

Oh and i apologize i posted them in separately to make it easier for people to see and know, i feel its more organized and if i re-posted one that was already posted i apologize as well.

I saw someone posted destiny one a day after i posted it that's the only one i have re-posted by accident. The Halo i posted though was for NA the ones i saw was European thats why i made a new post.

and that's all im trying to do like i said either include all or nothing. Not some.

Thank you for letting me know.:v:

Oh and can you guys name any other places that sale special editions?

i could only remember atlus.

Vlad
10-19-2015, 09:15 AM
Since you have a retailer where you've only found one, Game springs to mind for me.

Their exclusive Metro 2033 special/limited edition had a cardboard slipcover that had a big purple circle printed on it too saying that it was exclusive to Game.

Although I'm sure they've had ones too where it's a special edition exclusive to them where it's just got a couple of extra bits of DLC.

twistedsymphony
10-19-2015, 07:16 PM
There have been a few threads in the past discussing what IS and IS NOT considered for the database.

In general my parameters are as follows:

With a few exceptions, an "edition" is a single self-contained package. That is to say if the "Gamestop Edition" is just the Standard Edition with a DLC code provided SEPARATELY from the game-box then that code is not considered part of the edition.

Any edition with packaging or included content that differs from the standard edition should be considered for the database. The only exception are price-reduction re-releases (such as "platinum" or "best hits" editions), unless they also include content that was not originally included with the standard edition, in-which case it should be included.

This is a very low bar for entry for sure. and over the years many people have suggested that things such as gold, or game-of-the-year editions should not be included, but I disagree. Personally I see the database as a place that catalogs any and all variations of a release that happen to be different than the standard edition and it's up to each collector themselves to determine what is or is not "special".

Twisted
10-20-2015, 05:53 AM
i personally consider things like box art that might have variant art design exclusive to a retailer, or perhaps a steelbook edition made separate from a standard edition, or even a game where the first print have shiny embossed slipcovers as something special worth noting..but things like target edition DLC, wal mart edition DLC etc..is redundant and not worthwhile..however like others said..if the DLC was standard on disc..it could qualify..but if it's a code for a digital download with an expiration date..than it is pretty worthless.

THEREALDEALDUDE
12-12-2015, 08:46 PM

Since you have a retailer where you've only found one, Game springs to mind for me.

Their exclusive Metro 2033 special/limited edition had a cardboard slipcover that had a big purple circle printed on it too saying that it was exclusive to Game.

Although I'm sure they've had ones too where it's a special edition exclusive to them where it's just got a couple of extra bits of DLC.

Vlad im looking for u.s exclusive hidden editions at place unlikely to be found. game if i am correct is for uk only.

THEREALDEALDUDE
12-12-2015, 08:49 PM
There have been a few threads in the past discussing what IS and IS NOT considered for the database.

In general my parameters are as follows:

With a few exceptions, an "edition" is a single self-contained package. That is to say if the "Gamestop Edition" is just the Standard Edition with a DLC code provided SEPARATELY from the game-box then that code is not considered part of the edition.

Any edition with packaging or included content that differs from the standard edition should be considered for the database. The only exception are price-reduction re-releases (such as "platinum" or "best hits" editions), unless they also include content that was not originally included with the standard edition, in-which case it should be included.

This is a very low bar for entry for sure. and over the years many people have suggested that things such as gold, or game-of-the-year editions should not be included, but I disagree. Personally I see the database as a place that catalogs any and all variations of a release that happen to be different than the standard edition and it's up to each collector themselves to determine what is or is not "special".

I remember when i first signed up i asked this and i got the same answer from you, the only difference between me and you is i also collect the platinum edition but agree that maybe they shouldnt be listed on this website since there are alot, and the only different is the label on top except for some expectations. I cant remember but i read there was a game that was rereleased has platinum with extra content so obviously that would be an exception.

and we both agree anything different than the standard edition should be included on the website.

THEREALDEALDUDE
12-12-2015, 08:51 PM
i personally consider things like box art that might have variant art design exclusive to a retailer, or perhaps a steelbook edition made separate from a standard edition, or even a game where the first print have shiny embossed slipcovers as something special worth noting..but things like target edition DLC, wal mart edition DLC etc..is redundant and not worthwhile..however like others said..if the DLC was standard on disc..it could qualify..but if it's a code for a digital download with an expiration date..than it is pretty worthless.

I understand what you mean but the only real reason i add those is because the cover is different and says walmart edition. if it was just pre order dlc or some sort of maybe limited time dlc if you buy from them then no i wouldnt include it. I only include it because it looks different and it includes something different with the game.

But i understand we all have different opinions on how to manage or do our own collecting

THEREALDEALDUDE
02-19-2016, 02:01 AM
1 Best Buy Edition
2 Gamestop Edition
3 Walmart Edition
4 Target Edition
5 Amazon
6 Ulay & (Website)
7 Square Enix (Website)
8 Atlus (Website)
9 NISAmerica (Website)

anyone have any other sites im missing? i would apperrciate the helps makes it easier for me to buy games and and add missing editions for everyone.