PDA

View Full Version : Price of collector's editions going up?

BitWraith
06-01-2016, 03:16 PM
First, here's the rant video I did on the subject:

W22B2p8zQEg

The prices of these things is getting out of hand. Just so we're clear that I'm not just picking on FFXV here, heres a list of other CEs that I think are priced too high:

1. Dark Souls 3 Prestige Edition: $500 (now being scalped for $1500)
2. Battlefield 1: $220
3. Mirror's Edge Catalyst: $200
4. Gears of War 4: $250
5. Halo 5: (Was) $250

I'm finding that these editions are costing more, giving less, and the quality of the innards is suffering. The statues usually look really good in the promo materials, but in real life they look like mass produced crap. The games themselves are increasingly not even physical copies, but rather codes (mostly on PC).

The best Collector's edition released in a good long while (in my opinion) is definitely the Overwatch one, and it came in at half(ish) of the cost of these.

Dr_Jengo
06-02-2016, 06:28 AM
I have to agree with you. One example was the Hitman CE. Statue wasn't too bad but there was barely anything else in the CE.

Letrico
06-02-2016, 07:31 AM
I agree. At the same time Australian dollar is dropping so almost all CE are close to $200 at the moment. Even those with the most mediocre amount of content will go up to $200 now. Uncharted 4 only had a statue, steelbook, baby artbook and it's $200.

DS3 Prestige actually cost $900 in Australia. How about that rip off price lol.

Bad currency + rip off distributors in Australia is making it real hard to collect now.

rjamali
06-02-2016, 12:37 PM
I have to agree with you there, The overwatch collectors is looking good though I did get the Halo 5 one on release, I regretted it soon after seeing the massive price drop it went through so I'm gonna hold off on Gears of War for now until it drops.

Best collectors I got had to be the US version of Mortal Kombat X and The Witcher 3.

goonergaz
06-02-2016, 01:22 PM
yep - £100 is my ceiling on CEs, the U3 Explorer Edition was pretty good value - essentially for ~£50 you got a travel case thing, statue, ring, belt buckle and couple of other trinkets. Not too shabby. Now look at the Libertalia Edition of U4 - you essentially paid £50 for the statue.

I like these new smaller editions with steelbook and mini art-book, it's a nice middle-ground - my only beef is I'd like the option of a digital version of the game rather than disk version.

But yeah, they are seeing the value and doing their best to maximise profits from the cream of their customers (without actually giving a damn about them by somehow clamping down on the scalpers).

The Grim Reaper
06-18-2016, 08:28 AM
Companies have discovered that they can add statues to collector edition and charge an extra for them, more than what they sould sell for by themselves.
DS3 prestige is an aggravated example having not one but 2 statues

I like these new smaller editions with steelbook and mini art-book, it's a nice middle-ground - my only beef is I'd like the option of a digital version of the game rather than disk version.

I like that nintendo usually uses this kind of edition on WiiU.

Branden_Lucero
06-18-2016, 09:38 AM
i find the best CEs are the ones that cost less than $100.

Fallout: NV is still of my favorite 'editions'. so much physical content for $80. (managed to grab the PC version for like $60-something on GameStop online, literally the week of release due to promo code)

BitWraith
07-26-2016, 03:43 AM
I have to agree with you there, The overwatch collectors is looking good though I did get the Halo 5 one on release, I regretted it soon after seeing the massive price drop it went through so I'm gonna hold off on Gears of War for now until it drops.

Best collectors I got had to be the US version of Mortal Kombat X and The Witcher 3.

For my money, the Overwatch CE is the highest quality one I own. Blizzard really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Vlad
07-28-2016, 01:55 PM
I'm starting to get really sick of the prices too; to the point in fact where I'm considering stopping getting any that come with figures, which I never though I'd catch myself even thinking.

It's just becoming far too big of a rip off now as far as I'm concerned when so many are >£100 and have almost nothing to them.

Some were still worth it but others are just kinda meh.

I've started to become more interested in the ones in between now to be honest. Even simply on a space-saving front they're a better choice.

It used to be, like others have said, you'd get a CE and it'd have a load of cool stuff in it but now what do you get? Some almost minimalist trend for only a statue which may or may not be awful, maybe a steelbook or a tiny artbook plus/or some DLC and some little extra related to the game and that's it.

I mean look at the Gears 4 one - £170 and it come with a statue, a lithograph, a keychain and in-game stuff (which look very much like stuff usually purchased through microtransactions). Oh, and don't forget the "premium packaging" like so many games try to pass off as some awesome bonus thing.

It's all gone way too far and I hate that mostly we only have ourselves to blame for keeping buying them over the years until it's gotten to this point.

KnightOfTruth
07-29-2016, 04:04 AM
It's funny you mention Gears 4 -- I believe that is going to be the first major Xbox release that I just forego the initial launch day pickup in awhile. After the horrible burn that was Halo 5 I just can't bring myself to pay that much (even with 20% amazon or BB discount) for something like that -- its too overpriced and even if it sells out, I just can't be one of the people telling them that its a good price for that. Hopefully they'll see that everyone else feels the same way when they've got these giant boxes taking up all their warehouse storage and the price plummets... but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Vlad
07-29-2016, 10:46 AM
It's funny you mention Gears 4 -- I believe that is going to be the first major Xbox release that I just forego the initial launch day pickup in awhile. After the horrible burn that was Halo 5 I just can't bring myself to pay that much (even with 20% amazon or BB discount) for something like that -- its too overpriced and even if it sells out, I just can't be one of the people telling them that its a good price for that. Hopefully they'll see that everyone else feels the same way when they've got these giant boxes taking up all their warehouse storage and the price plummets... but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I know exactly what you mean.

It wasn't long after launch and I walked into a Game and seen them sitting at £80. Now that seriously stung seeing that, especially as I couldn't even get into the game properly by that point.

Hell, I still need to finish it, I was completely underwhelmed by the first 1/3 or 1/2 of it; plus it has no couch co-op so those combined meant I just couldn't be arsed with it. To a lesser degree as well I really don't like the way I'm always in a team of 4, some of the conversation feels so forced and I just don't like always dragging three people around with me. At least there'll always be the Bungie ones, y'know, with couch co-op.

Gears, I do want to get but I can wait for a big price cut on that edition.