PDA

View Full Version : Need advice and opinions, not sure about collecting anymore

Cam
08-23-2016, 11:38 AM
Hey folks,

I recently realized that I'm running out of space to collect special and collectors editions. I generally buy them, check the stuff out and store them cause I don't want to "use them up".

Now my issue is the space but from that I've been feeling like it's a money sink, and I'm not utilizing the products.

However when I think about 'stopping' I feel like it's a shame since I've been doing this for years and have a big collection, I am also afraid of missing out on the cool stuff from future editions even though I will just do the same.

I would really love some insight and personal opinions from you guys.

Exohain
08-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Hi Cam,

Maybe think about cutting down to one or two main franchises, and only buy things that you really like the look of?

Alternatively you could look at selling some of the items you have that you don't really care about, and create more space that way.

I don't really know what's best, as I've only recently got into collecting myself.

(Side note: Noticed your flag is set as Bahrain, I'm actually about to leave after a year out here, how do you cope with the heat? I pretty much died during ramadan :( )

Cam
08-23-2016, 02:18 PM
Hi Cam,

Maybe think about cutting down to one or two main franchises, and only buy things that you really like the look of?

Alternatively you could look at selling some of the items you have that you don't really care about, and create more space that way.

I don't really know what's best, as I've only recently got into collecting myself.

(Side note: Noticed your flag is set as Bahrain, I'm actually about to leave after a year out here, how do you cope with the heat? I pretty much died during ramadan :( )

Hey Exohain,

Thanks for the ideas, I think that should be something I should strive to do if I plan on keeping up with collecting, it would be nice to even be able to sell them all one day if I had to but as you know it's a small market here and pretty pricey to ship. I already got a couple of stuff I want to get rid of but not sure where to do that locally.

As for the heat, staying indoors with the AC, cold water, video game, and wait until the winter comes heh.

Exohain
08-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Hey Exohain,

Thanks for the ideas, I think that should be something I should strive to do if I plan on keeping up with collecting, it would be nice to even be able to sell them all one day if I had to but as you know it's a small market here and pretty pricey to ship. I already got a couple of stuff I want to get rid of but not sure where to do that locally.

As for the heat, staying indoors with the AC, cold water, video game, and wait until the winter comes heh.

Cam,

I don't really know where would be best to sell locally, perhaps check out IGN Convention (http://ignconvention.com/bahrain/) and see if they have a trading area. There's also Animania (https://www.facebook.com/AnimaniaBahrain/) which was earlier this year, but seems to have a decent following on their facebook account, could see if there's a trading section there too.

Other than that I'm really not sure, sorry.

Cam
08-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Cam,

I don't really know where would be best to sell locally, perhaps check out IGN Convention (http://ignconvention.com/bahrain/) and see if they have a trading area. There's also Animania (https://www.facebook.com/AnimaniaBahrain/) which was earlier this year, but seems to have a decent following on their facebook account, could see if there's a trading section there too.

Other than that I'm really not sure, sorry.

Wow that is actually a great idea. I have a couple of friends who set up booths to sell comics at IGN and Animania usually. Can't believe I didn't think about utilizing that, thanks for that!

Exohain
08-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Wow that is actually a great idea. I have a couple of friends who set up booths to sell comics at IGN and Animania usually. Can't believe I didn't think about utilizing that, thanks for that!

If you've got friends that set up booths then yeah, definitely ask them if you can put a few products on their tables! I'm not sure what the collector's market is like there, but you might as well try :)

xhunter
08-24-2016, 05:48 AM
I stick to big collecting on just a few franchises. I also display all my stuff. My collection has gone through a few major overhauls over the years (like right now, I'm slowly parting with chunks of my Bioshock collection because I'd rather be collecting things for Overwatch and DC Bombshells).

Ultimately, my collecting comes down to "what do I like right now?" In a year, I might be selling it, but I got enjoyment out of it for awhile.