PDA

View Full Version : What makes collecting so different from hoarding? - seeking research participants

AmyResearcher
06-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Hi everyone!

My name is Amy and I'm completing an Honours degree in Psychology at RMIT University, Australia.

I'm conducting an online study on the differences between collecting and hoarding behaviours, and so I'm hoping to involve some more collectors that are interested in contributing to this research area.

It's an online survey, and anyone can participate as long as you are over 18 years of age. It's completely anonymous and takes about 20-30 minutes to complete.

If you would like to find out more information or participate in the research, here's the link for the study: http://bit.ly/collecting_hoarding

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks! :)

http://i.imgur.com/I2mlGSD.png?2

vhal_x
06-20-2017, 04:40 PM
I'm happy to take part. :) someone else joined the forum a few years back, doing a similar dissertation and i took part then also :) x

WaxWeazle
06-20-2017, 06:59 PM
Filling it in! :)

AmyResearcher
06-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Thanks :) Glad you're interested and I appreciate the help!

Gadgetron
06-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Done it :)

Gunmaster51
06-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Filled it in. Well, now this has me questioning whether my steel collecting could be considered compulsive hoarding lol.

BAD-WAYNE
06-23-2017, 07:26 PM
I am a LONG time gaming collector and know several others. I also personally know a hoarder and I can tell you with absolute certainty that there is a difference; even in the ones who get carried away with their collecting...The most obvious two differences:

Collections have themes; the theme may be broad but it doesn't encompass everything they can get get their hands on.

Collectors (almost all of them) organize their collections for display and appreciation. They show pride in their collection by taking meticulous care of the items even if they aren't displayed. Hoarders don't necessarily care about the quality/condition of the stuff they collect as long as they know they still have it; where ever it may be. It's not uncommon for a hoarder to allow their stuff to decay into the ground so long as it is still theirs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gemini-Phoenix
11-02-2023, 10:54 PM
I'd say the difference is, a collector has organisation and structure, curates their belongings in an aesthetic manner, and usually collects things with purpose. Eg, all games in a franchise or for a specific console.

A hoarder on the other hand is someone who has a problem with disposing of unnecessary items. They often hold on to things with no purpose, and struggle to organise. Hoarders will collect items indiscriminately, with no real sense of structure or cohesion.

layedingray
01-18-2024, 03:39 AM
There is a very very thin line, if I am being honest lol. Collecting is where you know what and where most of your stuff is while hoarding is not being able to remember the last time you saw a collectible and where it was located.