PDA

View Full Version : Customs

WaxWeazle
01-15-2018, 01:38 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's got this...

Yet again, today, I receive a package and I had to pay MORE THAN HALF the actual price for import costs. It's doing me fucking head in like crazy!
Today's bullshit;
https://www.popcultcha.com.au/ash-vs-evil-dead-ashy-slashy-puppet-15-prop-replica.html
I pre-ordered this quite a while ago and I ended up paying the price of €83.38.

Today I receive this package and what're the import costs?

46 FUCKING EUROS.
THATS BULLSHIT.
This is genuinely pissing me off like crazy to be fair. It really is.

is there ANY way to get around this when ordering stuff? It's horrendous how many times I've paid a ridiculously high amount for import costs. I tried contacting them about information but didn't really get much of a useful reply out of it other than a standard copy/paste reply.
I can't be the only one, right?

barnaba
01-15-2018, 02:40 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's got this...

Yet again, today, I receive a package and I had to pay MORE THAN HALF the actual price for import costs. It's doing me fucking head in like crazy!
Today's bullshit;
https://www.popcultcha.com.au/ash-vs-evil-dead-ashy-slashy-puppet-15-prop-replica.html
I pre-ordered this quite a while ago and I ended up paying the price of €83.38.

Today I receive this package and what're the import costs?

46 FUCKING EUROS.
THATS BULLSHIT.
This is genuinely pissing me off like crazy to be fair. It really is.

is there ANY way to get around this when ordering stuff? It's horrendous how many times I've paid a ridiculously high amount for import costs. I tried contacting them about information but didn't really get much of a useful reply out of it other than a standard copy/paste reply.
I can't be the only one, right?

When you're importing via forwarding service you can set the price as low as you want. Tried it few times and it's been working so far. Haven't used it yet to import more expensive items but after paying a huge custom taxes for souls of cinder statue decided to go for it next time :spiteful: . Still got to pay for shipping but you can consolidate items you've bought.

https://www.tenso.com/en

Spect3r
01-15-2018, 04:03 PM
The only was to get around Customs Taxes is if the seller declares a value below the value that your country start charging Customs taxes.

Portugal is terrible on this, everything above 20€ is subject to taxes

GameTrigger
01-15-2018, 07:21 PM
Really?
I was thinking that is same in all EU countries:
0-22eur value - you don’t pay anything extra
22-150eur value - you pay only VAT
150eur or more value - you pay VAT+customs taxes
NB! most courier companies charge a fee for completing a customs declaration!
Fortunately you can make that in Estonia yourself for free (e-declaration) and that takes less then 5 minutes :)

There is “idea” that from 2021 you pay VAT+customs taxes for every order (value 0,01eur or more) from outside EU :evil:

WaxWeazle
01-15-2018, 08:25 PM
It's the same here.
Starting 20 or 25 euros (not entirely sure which one) you have to pay at LEAST 15 euros for them opening/resealing the package and processing it.

I'm just so done with this.
I have orders incoming that're expensive on it's own (e.g. the scaled Female T-Rex head that was somewhere around 700 euros) so knowing that stuff, it's going to be a ridiculous payment for import costs nonetheless because I always get my shit with extra costs.

My parents've sent and received packages a few times, never had any issues though they'd also be valid for paying if their package got chosen. Yet I get screwed over each damn time. Fcking pissed.

Spect3r
01-15-2018, 11:43 PM
Really?
I was thinking that is same in all EU countries:
0-22eur value - you don’t pay anything extra
22-150eur value - you pay only VAT
150eur or more value - you pay VAT+customs taxes
NB! most courier companies charge a fee for completing a customs declaration!
Fortunately you can make that in Estonia yourself for free (e-declaration) and that takes less then 5 minutes :)

There is “idea” that from 2021 you pay VAT+customs taxes for every order (value 0,01eur or more) from outside EU :evil:

I paid 42€ for 80€ purchase, so it cant just be the VAT...:scratch:

defiler
01-16-2018, 02:12 AM
The only was to get around Customs Taxes is if the seller declares a value below the value that your country start charging Customs taxes.

Only problem with declaring the lower value is you can get burned in a situation where there was damage and insurance needed to get involved.

Gunmaster51
01-16-2018, 04:13 AM
Yeah, I've had this happen. I had to pay $220 customs charge for my Edward Kenway bust. Cost of the item was $400. The funny thing is that an item value wasn't even declared on the package, so the customs people just made up a random number as the item value and charged customs on that. Bunch of crooks lol.

Gazereths
01-16-2018, 06:59 AM
I've had similar experiences, last one was some t-shirts from America. About half the cost of the shirts in taxes. There's VAT, import duty and the Royal Mail charge which I believe is a set rate of £13.50 or £8.50 IIRC....Some bullshit like that anyway.

Used to be able to get round it by marking it as a gift, though that tends not to be an option any more at least in my recent experience :(

barnaba
01-16-2018, 07:16 AM
Only problem with declaring the lower value is you can get burned in a situation where there was damage and insurance needed to get involved.

Good point.

Dreamcazman
01-16-2018, 07:47 AM
Businesses aren't really allowed to send products overseas without declaring accurately what the item costs, thus why you have to pay duty.

One option is to get a fellow CE member to purchase the item then ship it over, maybe with a modest 'handling' fee. If they mark the product as a gift, you should avoid any taxes. It's a little unfair to charge you if someone sends you a gift, which as far as they know, is what it is.

Thankfully here in Australia anything under $1000 AUD is free of any import taxes. There was talk of changing it to a much lower value but thankfully nothing has happened yet. I think they figured out what a huge headache it would be having to check everyone's parcels... :facepalm:

Gazereths
01-16-2018, 08:39 AM
Must be nice, 1000 Aussie bucks and no charges, I think we get stung for anything over 18 quid in the UK :( Then there's the Royal Mails/Couriers charge for 'paying the duty for you'...what a fucking joke.

I imagine it's the same across the EU zone. Wonder if it will change for better or worse after Brexit? Probably worse knowing the UK government :(

Funny thing is the most expensive thing I've ever imported escaped relatively lightly due to the company being bro's and declaring it gift/lower price...Though I know this is technically illegal and can carry risk with insurance etc.

I've also been told/heard that if you get it marked as a 'review Sample' like for a product review, you might get around it that way....Just make a Youtube review video and you aren't breaking any laws.....Not sure if that works, or even if it does what counties it works in.

Spect3r
01-16-2018, 09:15 AM

True

Vlad
01-16-2018, 01:11 PM
There's VAT, import duty and the Royal Mail charge which I believe is a set rate of £13.50 or £8.50 IIRC....Some bullshit like that anyway.

The handling charge being a flat rate really pisses me off sometimes. It's been the case more than once for me where it ends up something silly like only a quid or two of actual VAT/duty and then the Royal Mail fee is still stuck at ~£8 but then something with way more still has that flat fee attached and so whilst I happily accept the reality that RM do have costs, it does feel like a bit of a rip off when your item is being held hostage by it.

Deathhound
01-16-2018, 07:54 PM
Yeah, got the same problem with all the Customs. They know me already at the customs office and go like "Oh, you again" lol

But it's always so expensive. I dread the day my Indominus Rex is coming in and that's going to be hell of a lot to pay for them.

WaxWeazle
01-16-2018, 11:25 PM
Yeah, got the same problem with all the Customs. They know me already at the customs office and go like "Oh, you again" lol

But it's always so expensive. I dread the day my Indominus Rex is coming in and that's going to be hell of a lot to pay for them.

I'm in the same boat, except the Female T-Rex bust :P

bboyside
01-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Businesses aren't really allowed to send products overseas without declaring accurately what the item costs, thus why you have to pay duty.

One option is to get a fellow CE member to purchase the item then ship it over, maybe with a modest 'handling' fee. If they mark the product as a gift, you should avoid any taxes. It's a little unfair to charge you if someone sends you a gift, which as far as they know, is what it is.

Thankfully here in Australia anything under $1000 AUD is free of any import taxes. There was talk of changing it to a much lower value but thankfully nothing has happened yet. I think they figured out what a huge headache it would be having to check everyone's parcels... :facepalm:

You guys are so lucky, here in NZ anything above $400 will incurred import taxes and duties, that's really sucks

Spect3r
01-17-2018, 11:45 AM
You guys are so lucky, here in NZ anything above $400 will incurred import taxes and duties, that's really sucks

Its 20€ in Portugal, so dont complain :nono:

defiler
01-18-2018, 03:25 AM
I'm in the US; I don't pay anything for customs:popcorn:

WaxWeazle
01-29-2018, 01:39 PM
Receiving a package this week from Sideshow Collectibles - costed me 857,81 EUR.
Received a phonecall this morning from DHL. Import costs? 202 euros.

Thanks customs. *flips'm off*

Spect3r
01-29-2018, 02:31 PM
Receiving a package this week from Sideshow Collectibles - costed me 857,81 EUR.

And thats why i continue without having any of their amazing statues... Until they have a warehouse in Europe is crazy expensive to order from them

barnaba
01-29-2018, 02:54 PM

Looks like i'm gonna need some extra money for my lady maria statue :suicide:

Deathhound
01-29-2018, 08:03 PM
Damn, those are some nasty numbers, Wax.

WaxWeazle
01-29-2018, 10:54 PM
And thats why i continue without having any of their amazing statues... Until they have a warehouse in Europe is crazy expensive to order from them
It's one of the main reasons why I had put off ordering this one as well - I really wanted to have it though so I guess I had to suck it up.

Looks like i'm gonna need some extra money for my lady maria statue :suicide:
Yup.. Still want some of the statues that they offer, but not sure if I'll get them any time soon if it's this crazy expensive with import costs added...

I ended up contacting support and asking about it all because it's a crazy expensive mess...
The price alone is already high for their statues mostly - so having a high as hell import cost as well does not encourage ordering more.

Got a transcript here, feel free to have a read!

(10:29:20) Kimberly: Hi there! How can we assist you today?

(10:29:46) Kevin Rombouts:: Hello. I was wondering if there's ANYTHING that Sideshow could do for those who are from the EU concerning shipping.
(10:30:07) Kevin Rombouts: I ordered a statue last week that I've been eyeing for quite a long time now. As you know, the prices are already high (as is the quality, so understandable).
(10:30:51) Kevin Rombouts: The statue price for me came around 850 euros. Which is a fairly high price - but when the statue came to Belgium, I got a call from the shipping company about the import costs. Import costed me 202 euros MORE on TOP of the 850 euros that I paid for the product itself.

(10:31:03) Kimberly: We do out best to get the best rates for all of our customers that we can. We discount your shipping costs by 20% further off of our preferred rate given to us by the carriers. In addition, you receive a $25 savings code emailed after each package is shipped, to help offset costs of your next item. Plus, you receive 5% back in Rewards Points. This should significantly offset your import fees!

(10:32:02) Kevin Rombouts: Could you explain that a bit more please? I'm not entirely sure I understand.

(10:33:46) Kimberly: So lets see that Our preferred shipping rate is $200.00. We then discount that 20% more for you. So we pay part of the shipping for you :)
(10:34:02) Kimberly: We also send you coupons that no domestic customer gets to help you get a discount on your item
(10:34:13) Kimberly: and you get more rewards points than domestic customers

(10:34:56) Kevin Rombouts: So do you mean that - when I order a product; part of that price are already shipping costs?
(10:35:15) Kimberly: No
(10:36:05) Kimberly: Lets say, for example, you buy an item that is $500.00. The shipping would be, for example, $150.00 dollars. You would only see a shipping charge of $120.00USD because we discount it 20% for you

(10:37:40) Kevin Rombouts: Ahh - I understand. Thank you for elaborating. Do you by any chance have an idea though if there will be an EU warehouse at some point? As that'd also help reducing the costs. I'm an avid collector and each time I order something from outside of Europe, I have to pay a completely overpriced amount of import costs. While you do reduce the shipping costs already - it's still a lot of money.

(10:38:14) Kimberly: At this time, I have not heard any confirmation of an EU warehouse

(10:38:44) Kevin Rombouts: Hmm. Hopefully it's an upcoming thing! May I ask another question?

(10:40:33) Kimberly: Sure

(10:40:52) Kevin Rombouts: For some reason - the website won't load properly anymore on my browser (Chrome). It keeps hanging on Loading products...

(10:41:27) Kimberly: I think that is due to them still working on certain parts of the site :) Sometimes clearing the cache and cookies helps

(10:41:42) Kevin Rombouts: Will give that a try, thanks.
(10:41:54) Kevin Rombouts: Thank you for your responses Kimberly. Fingers crossed for an EU warehouse!

(10:42:12) Kimberly: You are very welcome!
(10:42:26) Kimberly: Have a Marvel-ous day! Thanks for using live chat.'

(10:42:37) Kevin Rombouts: Have a good day yourself as well.

TL;DR
-------
- No look at a possible EU warehouse atm
- They already seem to give extras to 'ease the pain'
- They already try to 'limit shipping costs' somehow

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it at this moment...

Spect3r
01-29-2018, 11:09 PM
It's one of the main reasons why I had put off ordering this one as well - I really wanted to have it though so I guess I had to suck it up.

I am dying to get the Witcher statues, but with shipping and customs it will end up at over 1000€ each :facepalm:

Dreamcazman
01-30-2018, 10:16 AM

Fark, which statue did you buy? :nosleep:

WaxWeazle
01-30-2018, 07:21 PM
Fark, which statue did you buy? :nosleep:

https://scontent-bru2-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/b81c6785bb76c334c44c0c9fee857cdf/5AEAB5BA/t51.2885-15/e35/26867218_1412807535495417_4437149465324814336_n.jp g

Vlad
02-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Man, that is a seriously awesome statue, would love to have one! O_O :barsong:

Pop Alexandra
07-05-2021, 01:48 PM
I am dying to get the Witcher statues, but with shipping and customs it will end up at over 1000€ each :facepalm:

Ohh... that's quite some investment.
Are the taxes a big part of the total cost?

Spect3r
07-05-2021, 03:16 PM
Ohh... that's quite some investment.
Are the taxes a big part of the total cost?

Damn, bots are getting cleaver :rotf: