PDA

View Full Version : Storing Art Prints

WaxWeazle
05-09-2018, 12:14 AM
Anybody got a recommendation on how to store these?

I'm getting more and more art prints these days and I would love to have a proper way of storing them rather than keeping a bunch of tubes in the corner :P

I've thought about finding a portfolio but stupidly enough I can't seem to find a proper one with a size that's good enough to accommodate most of the prints.
Framing them all would be a bit of a costy option at this point and I don't have the space to keep all the frames nicely as well.

So.. Any suggestions? :P Or anybody who's more familiar with portfolios with a portfolio recommendation? :P

Mike1888
05-09-2018, 02:11 AM
I have an 18x24 portfolio which fits most prints. Assuming you've been buying your prints from the same places as me, a significant portion of your collection will be 18x24, so this would be really handy. I can't remember the brand of mine though, sorry!

I have 2 B2-sized portfolios for my B2 posters and some of my larger prints (https://www.amazon.com/Poster-Gallery-B2-size-File/dp/B000THRINQ/). Unfortunately these only have 10 pages (20 posters) so they fill up quickly, and they're really expensive since they ship from Japan. You could probably find something better for larger prints.

defiler
05-09-2018, 04:43 AM
For the most part, I choose the "Frame it!" option.:2cool:

As for the rest: to be honest, the ones I haven't got around to framing are still in the tubes in their protective paper. Guess I don't see anything wrong with that... I have I think 6 tubes now sitting around, and each has 3 giclees/lithos inside.

Gazereths
05-09-2018, 07:26 AM
The Itoya 18x24 portfolio is the way I store my unframed prints, keeps them nice and flat and has acid free paper in each sleeve.. This is a quick Amazon UK search, but it looks a little different to the one I have : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Itoya-Original-Profolio-18X24-Sleeves/dp/B00009R8XD

Sorry that's out of stock atm on the UK site here's the US link: https://www.amazon.com/ITOYA-Presentation-Portfolio-Photography-Documents/dp/B00009R8XD, I got mine from the USA, a kind member here sourced it for me but i can't remember who (thanks whoever that was!!! :D:D) EDIT- nipperkipper was the awesome member who sorted me with the itoya portfolio, thanks again my friend!

For larger prints I'd suggest an A1 or even A0 portfolio, these can be readily found in the UK as it's a UK standard size, it's only the American prints that are a weird size because of the Imperial/Metric difference in measurements. Oh and Japanese prints are also different sizes but closer to the UK standard. The 18x24 US prints are a real pain because they are slightly bigger than A2 but massively smaller than A1. You have to buy custom made frames for them in the UK and that gets expensive quickly.

I'd advise against storing prints in tubes for long periods of time, you'll never get them flat and the cardboard tubes are not acid free usually so could potentially damage/fade the colours. PLus having a flat portfolio is sooo much easier to store than lots of tubes.

WaxWeazle
05-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the responses :D

I'm looking around and about a little on what sizes I have laying around. There's a variety of sizes.
Biggest that I would prefer to store in a portfolio is an official movie poster that is 27x40 inches.
Will definitely have a look at your suggestions! Thanks all :)

defiler
05-10-2018, 02:31 AM
I'd advise against storing prints in tubes for long periods of time, you'll never get them flat and the cardboard tubes are not acid free usually so could potentially damage/fade the colours. PLus having a flat portfolio is sooo much easier to store than lots of tubes.

Yes and No. If you frame them they'll stay flat no problem :) When I store in tubes I have acid free paper on the outside also as a buffer in between the artwork and the tube.

I am debating getting a portfolio though for the reason you mentioned - it's a pain to store 10 tubes. A portfolio would fit much better in the firesafe.