PDA

View Full Version : Are complete edition really special

gurpswoo1
10-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi all

I just can't get my head around including these so call completed editions in the database, including: -

Game of the Year
Complete
Ultimate
Etc

These are not really limited or collector's edition, infact they are the opposite and are infact worth less than their original counterparts.

I know they include the extra DLC released after the original but it is much cheaper to buy the DLC than fork about for another game. Especially when the edition is just the DLC code and not put on the disc itself.

Please help me understand this?

Nlkuysdf
10-14-2010, 09:13 PM
I don't know about the database cause that's kind of up to the Admin, but I agree with you. Any game that I have I buy a copy of every edition of it, standard, collectors edition, both UK and NTSC, but I won't put these in my collection, I just can't justify them being Collector's editions.

twistedsymphony
10-15-2010, 03:02 AM
for the most part I include everything except "regular editions" or re-releases with nothing different other than price point such as "platinum hits" releases.

the intent is that people are informed about what exists out there outside the realm of the regular release.

there was a debate quite some time ago as to whether or not we'd add titles like this to the database... ultimately it was decided that as long as the included content was different than the regular edition release it would be included.

I agree that a lot of these releases a pretty lame and not at all "Collectors Editions" but on the other hand there have been dozens of "Limited Edition" releases that are even more lame by comparison like the recently announced LEs from EA.

but yes, if you're wondering what the criteria is... anything with content beyond what came with the regular edition release gets to go into the database.

scourdx
10-15-2010, 03:16 AM
I usually classified them as Game of the Year edition or complete edition. It is funny that console games are like following the same path as PC. I like to buy collector edition and then afterward purchased the GOTY edition. If there is no special artwork or any written word on the CE/LE edition game disc, I tend to replace them with GOTY edition game disc.

twistedsymphony
10-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I usually pickup the GOTY/complete editions too...

I have such a back catalog of games rarely play half the CEs I buy so by the time I get around to it it's worth buying the complete edition just for the included DLC, then I don't have to ruin my CEs either.