PDA

View Full Version : How do signed & autographed affect items?

gurpswoo1
01-14-2011, 10:15 AM
I have always wondered if getting an item signed is worth it.

If the game was popular then I would always say yes. I guess it depends on the person signing the game.

I have also noticed that in the vast majority of cases, the signed item is worth less in the long run than a sealed game.

However if the item signed is a Console the value is much higher.

Getting a signed copy of zelda by Shigeru Miyamoto is worth a considerable sum over the game itself, even more so if it was a limited edition zelda console.

However gettting the person that made just dance 2 to sign their game, I can't see that gaining value.

What do you think, do you have signed items in your collection?

Mandingo
01-14-2011, 02:27 PM
I have a Final Fantasy VI soundtrack signed by Nobuo Uematsu. I don't know how much it's worth, but like anything, the value of signed merchandise depends on demand, like anything else. It is interesting to hear that sealed games would still command more than a used autographed item.

gurpswoo1
01-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Initially the signed item will be worth more, in the long term as the games become rarer in sealed condition then the signed item is worth less.

Again it really depends on the game and the person signing it.

I currently have: -

2 x final fantasy xiii collector's edition signed by Yoshinori Kitase and Isamu Ka.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 limited edition bundle with signed game by Charles Martinet. (voice of Mario)

Metal Gear Solid peace walker big boss bundle with Signed PSP by Kojima

And Metal Gear Solid peace walker limited edition signed by kojima.

Metal gear solid 2 signed by kojima.

Mandingo
01-14-2011, 03:27 PM
2 x final fantasy xiii collector's edition signed by Yoshinori Kitase and Isamu Ka.

Nice. Can I ask how'd you come across these gems?

gurpswoo1
01-14-2011, 03:43 PM
I got one standing in line for several hours, the other via eBay.

twistedsymphony
01-17-2011, 08:32 PM
It definitely depends... I think if the person signing it is a household name like Kojima or Miyamoto then the value will be higher than a sealed copy... but if it's a name no one is familiar with then it's likely that a sealed copy will be greater in value in the long run.

I don't have any signed games, but I've got the CE of Kevin Smith's first 5 movies all signed by him. My Clerks CE DVD is also signed by Brian O'Halloran (the actor who played Dante)

Mandingo
01-17-2011, 08:46 PM
a household name like Kojima or Miyamoto

So, you're saying a Miyamoto signed Super Mario Bros. cartridge would be worth more than a new, sealed one?

twistedsymphony
01-17-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm no appraiser but I would think so.

Mandingo
01-17-2011, 09:01 PM
OK, good to know.

gurpswoo1
01-18-2011, 09:08 AM
So, you're saying a Miyamoto signed Super Mario Bros. cartridge would be worth more than a new, sealed one?

I agree with twsited, Miyamoto is notorious for not signing items. Signed copies of his games especially the older ones are hard to come by.

However I would think that a VGA sealed copy would command a higher price. Also the signed copy would need some form of proof of it legitimacy such as a COA to get the maximum price. Either way a signed copy it worth alot.

For me, having a signed item on display is far better than a sealed copy, it has a story behind it and everybody, not just collectors will understand it's worth something. It also looks alot better.

Mandingo
01-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Miyamoto is notorious for not signing items.

If his signed items are very rare, then yeah, I guess that makes sense.