PDA

View Full Version : Take a stance, what should a collector's edition include

gurpswoo1
01-21-2011, 04:47 PM
I think it's time we take a stance on these silly EA pre-order edition and other pure DLC limited edition.

So we should discuss a game that we know or will likely get a collector's edition in the future. Then we should say what it should include and the price we are willing to pay.

Be realistic, don't say I want the next Duke Nuken to have gold plated cigar for £50. Also state how many units would make it a limited edition for you.

I think the best ones to discuss is mass effect 3 or the next Oblivion game, mainly because EA will likely do DLC only releases for them.

Once I have all the details I will send the discussion and thread link to the developer along with a cover letter.

MrBubbles
01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
What I would love to see in a Collectors Edition (any game):

A detailed replica gun (for shooter games)
Highly detailed figure
Never released art in a 100+ pages art book
At least a steelbook for the game as an extra
The soundtrack
Discs which are gold plated or something, or in a special color.
A Unique number for every copy.

Maybe not the most unique things, but I've totally had it with the DLC which comes with every game.

gurpswoo1
01-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Maybe not the most unique things, but I've totally had it with the DLC which comes with every game

Completely agree with the DLC codes, why don't they include someone slapping you in the face when you open it, because it amounts the same thing.

A detailed replica gun (for shooter games)
Highly detailed figure
Never released art in a 100+ pages art book
At least a steelbook for the game as an extra
The soundtrack
Discs which are gold plated or something, or in a special color.

Love your suggestion, the Steelbook, Artbook and the gold or silver coloured disc I especially like.

What I want from a Collector's edition is something to make it truely unique.

Default option should be a steelbook packaging unless something more elaborate such as using wood or maybe even something resin based. Not cheap cardboard or a plastic slip cover.

I think this truely make a collector's edition, it should be default on all special edition releases.

For Mass effect 3, as it the end of Shepard's story and therefore a trilogy, I would like to see maybe a Trilogy edition, however with Mass effect 1 exclusive to Xbox this is unlikely to happen, although we have seen different editions for different platforms before.

They could include the main characters in one statue like HAlo reach, but again there are some that are only present in one and two.

Icek
01-21-2011, 08:05 PM
It would be nice to see someone pack the LE in a wooden box (SteelBook kind of, not just like Far Cry 2 Collector's Box). That kind of LE would worth extra money, just for the wood.

lhurgoyf
01-21-2011, 08:37 PM
For Mass effect 3, as it the end of Shepard's story and therefore a trilogy, I would like to see maybe a Trilogy edition, however with Mass effect 1 exclusive to Xbox this is unlikely to happen, although we have seen different editions for different platforms before.

ME1 was released on PC. A Trilogy edition could easily happen, just for PC users :)

Nikoladim
01-21-2011, 09:07 PM
First i would like to see a unique item from the game packaged as a replica. This i am sure will help in terms of immersion. For example the retro vinyl from Bioshock 2 takes you back in the 30s era. The dog tag from Sc2 brought you into the battlefield of old Gettysburg. The cards and chip from New Vegas open the doors in the Strip. Soundtrack and behind the scenes DVD standard addition. Also i think is mandatory for Rpg and MMo games to have the map of the game. For sequels i would like the addition of the first(s) game, bonus if they are remastered( hl2, gow 3). The packaging also should be the exact opposite from a dvd case. Last i think that if a dlc code-that we all hate them :P- is available for the game just let it be unique like the pets from WoW ces. It's no use giving a dlc for free whereas someone else can buy it.
Ps: It would be nice if there was a number of all the pieces that were produced, especially for limited editions.

gurpswoo1
01-21-2011, 09:53 PM
It would be nice to see someone pack the LE in a wooden box (SteelBook kind of, not just like Far Cry 2 Collector's Box). That kind of LE would worth extra money, just for the wood.

Do you mean like the Asian Dragon Age Collector's edition
Joh9taqJuB4

ME1 was released on PC. A Trilogy edition could easily happen, just for PC users

Ah I forgot about the PC version of ME1, yeah trilogy could be done for both PC and Xbox360.

First i would like to see a unique item from the game packaged as a replica. This i am sure will help in terms of immersion. For example the retro vinyl from Bioshock 2 takes you back in the 30s era. The dog tag from Sc2 brought you into the battlefield of old Gettysburg. The cards and chip from New Vegas open the doors in the Strip. Soundtrack and behind the scenes DVD standard addition. Also i think is mandatory for Rpg and MMo games to have the map of the game. For sequels i would like the addition of the first(s) game, bonus if they are remastered( hl2, gow 3). The packaging also should be the exact opposite from a dvd case. Last i think that if a dlc code-that we all hate them - is available for the game just let it be unique like the pets from WoW ces. It's no use giving a dlc for free whereas someone else can buy it.
Ps: It would be nice if there was a number of all the pieces that were produced, especially for limited editions.

Yeah the Vinyl from Bioshock was one of the most unique items to come with a collector's edition. Also agree with have the casing something completly different to a DVD case.

Mandingo
01-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Eh, the only thing I ask for is that any CE released is priced to reflect its intrinsic value. And no more unilateral CE releases, please! :D

Gemini-Phoenix
01-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Every decent CE should by default include a soundtrack on CD and a hadback artwork book. These are the staples. Anything else should be directly related to the game rather than just a piece of vaguely related merch or trinket

USB memory sticks loaded with MP3 files and wallpapers are always a nice touch, and these in themselves can become quite collectible.

A SteelBook case or some kind of DigiPak case should always be used in high value and high profile CE's in my opinion! I hate seeing fantastic CE's ruined by the simple fact that they included a bulk standard "NFRS" copy of the game in a plastic Amaray case. It cheapens the look of the CE and makes it feel as if they lack the effort

Bonus Dvd's are always nice to have if you are a fan of a particular franchise, especially if they contain additional content for use either on your console (Such as Avatar items) or on your PC (Wallpapers and ringtones etc)

A bonus disc containing an older game in the franchise. For longer running franchises, it's always nice to have a bonus game included. Eg, if a new Sonic game included a special disc with the original Mega Drive games on it

Faceplates. The US CE for Deathsmiles included a faceplate for the X360. I think this is a great idea, and a shame that more CE's didn't do this. Redundant now as Microsoft are supporting the new X360 S which doesn't itilise faceplates, but they would have been nice to have beforehand...

Branded controllers. Halo ODST had a nicely presented CE with a nice ODST branded Halo controller. Whilst the game itself was nothing special (Standard edition), the controller was nice to have! A shame that they didn't so a controller package for Halo Reach and Fable 3... However, Killzone 3 has a CE available with a controller, so perhaps this will become a popular CE item for 2011 onwards?

Things I don't expect to see:

Statues and figures are so passé. They're boring, hard to maintain when on display (Get very dusty and hard to clean), and a lot of the time they make CE's artificially bigger than they really need to be. After all, us collector's only have a limited amount of shelf space for our collection's!

DLC. It's of no use to any collector, and worthless in a few year's time when the game is no longer supported. Should never be used to bulk out a CE! EA, this means YOU!

Postcards. Pointless in my opinion. They cost very little to produce, yet they often add on £10-£15 extra value to the RRP of a CE for some reason! Total rip off!

Cardboard sleeves. At one time these were considered a premium for many games and Dvd's, however, lately they have become so common that they're now worthless except to the most die hard of variant collector's

Mandingo
01-22-2011, 09:01 PM
A bonus disc containing an older game in the franchise. For longer running franchises, it's always nice to have a bonus game included. Eg, if a new Sonic game included a special disc with the original Mega Drive games on it

I love it when CE's have this, especially if I've jumped on a franchise a little late.

Gemini-Phoenix
01-24-2011, 10:22 AM
I like it when they include a classic game as some kind of an Easter Egg within the game. Not like Shenmue, where vintage games are freely playable within the game itself, but rather hidden gems such as Zork in Black Ops or the original Prince Of Persia in one of the recent Prince Of Persia reboot games

Mandingo
01-24-2011, 10:41 AM
And don't forget Lost Viking in StarCraft 2. :D

gurpswoo1
01-27-2011, 06:32 PM
I think we have some good ideas on what we want.

All we need now is game so we can get some concepts going.

Anyone think of a game that they really want a collector's edition for?

Mandingo
01-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Skyrim comes to mind.

scourdx
01-28-2011, 03:13 AM
Typical collector edition should include

- Artbook
- Soundtrack
- Making of DVD
- Unique box cover or case

Extra perks

- Figurine
- Toys
- Extra bonus game

What they should not include

- DLC
- 30 day free play

gurpswoo1
01-29-2011, 09:10 PM
while we confirm which game we are going to be mocking up, I have just gone ahead and went with Mass effect 3 as a test, mainly because I was thinking about it for a while and I can do alot of background work beforehand with it.

Anyway I have constructed a 3D CAD of a Steelbook, the logo needs alot of work but the idea was for it to represent embossed text.

Another detailed added is the red border that runs through the side all the way around steelbook. It maybe hard to see. I might make another render for a close up.

What do you think, is there anything I should put on the outside of the book. Do you like the Mass Effect graphics of just Shepard or is it too much/little?

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3866/me3modede.jpg

Mandingo
01-30-2011, 02:13 AM
^Looks nice so far!

gurpswoo1
01-30-2011, 04:19 PM
OK have now added an art book, chosen to go bigger rather than those silly small ones.

Also made it hardback, the artwork is half coloured to represent a 50% done piece.
Couldn't think of anything else to make it stand out.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2775/masseffectcadarrbookmod.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5267/masseffectsteelbookanda.jpg

gurpswoo1
01-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Still haven't any other suggestion for a game they want a collector's edition for.

Anyone!

As it stands the only one we have is Mandingo with the next Elder Scrolls, which doesn't sound like a bad game to do so may go with it

EDIT: oops sorry Mandingo spelt "doesn't" wrong, accidentally wrote "does" by mistake.

Mandingo
01-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Those ME3 concepts are coming along nicely.

gurpswoo1
01-30-2011, 04:47 PM
LOL - Sorry Mandingo for the spelling error

Mandingo
01-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Either way is fine by me, actually. :lol: I'm liking the work you've put in with these ME3 mock-ups, so whatever you decide to do will be a good choice, I'm positive!

gurpswoo1
01-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Ok here's the next update.

Have finally mocked up a Mass effect 3 Logo, so removed the embossed text for a flat logo instead. Have also added a PEGI 18 certificate as it will be added anyway.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1181/masseffectsteelbookfron.jpg

The steelbook now opens up and includes a 2 CD holder, the red strip continues on the inside. A background picture has also been added, which is one large image of the ship. The CD's image is of a planet with an artistic drawing of the Normandy ship.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/661/masseffectsteelbookopen.jpg

Now all together.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/661/masseffectsteelbookopen.jpg

Mandingo
01-31-2011, 06:06 AM
Man, that is awesome! EA needs to hire you to put together their CE's, gurps.:lol:

I especially like the red trim you've put around the steelbook.

gurpswoo1
01-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Man, that is awesome! EA needs to hire you to put together their CE's, gurps

They already tried, but they said they couldn't afford me.

I especially like the red trim you've put around the steelbook.

Thanks , I'm kind of stuck on what to do next though. Was thinking of maybe a USB or even another DVD case with ME1 and 2 to make a trilogy set. Will have to be Xbox and PC only though.

Any idea's would be really welcome.

gurpswoo1
01-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Another Update:

Decided to go with a custom headset, the red theme continues here aswell. the strips will light up when on.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/293/masseffectheadset3mod.jpg

Also added the second CD and put the headset in.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4943/masseffectsteelbookbook.jpg

Ok I am finally out of ideas, any recommendation.

Biggav4000
01-31-2011, 09:40 PM
You are very talented :notworthy:

gurpswoo1
01-31-2011, 10:29 PM
You are very talented :notworthy:

Many thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

Do you think the headset is a silly idea and going overboard, any suggestion would be welcomed.

I will start with the outer box now anyway, so really getting close to the last chance before final mock up.

Want this to be a community project so we all get behind it when it's submitted.

gurpswoo1
02-01-2011, 11:22 PM
OK another update:

Don't forget, you can click on any of the images upload to get a larger image.

Made a Foam holder for the headset, it cut out is contoured for a nice clean fit.
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7371/masseffectheadsetholderr.jpg

Here is the headset inside the foam holder.
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/9182/masseffectheadsetholder.jpg

Next I made a Clear Plastic Holder for the foam to sit in to finish off the look.
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/3968/masseffectheadsetbox.jpg

And altogether
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9182/masseffectheadsetholder.jpg

gurpswoo1
02-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Forgot to give the complete picture aswell,

Have added instruction manual clips and a 3rd CD holder, so can now have soundtrack and the bonus DVD.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8951/masseffectallheadsethol.jpg

Mandingo
02-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Greatness. Are you now in the process of designing the box to put it all in?

gurpswoo1
02-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah - finishing it off now, is there anything you want to add or remove.

Mandingo
02-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah - finishing it off now, is there anything you want to add or remove.

Everything looks fine to me, unless someone else has some input.

gurpswoo1
02-02-2011, 03:31 PM
should I make a custom box aswell or just a normal outer box design.

Mandingo
02-02-2011, 04:31 PM
You'd be the better judge of that, I think.

twistedsymphony
02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
it doesn't matter what the box design is, as long as it's got a sticker that says "###/1000"

gurpswoo1
02-02-2011, 09:48 PM
a sticker that says "###/1000"

OK adding now.

gurpswoo1
02-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Ok the final update,

First I decided to use one complete foam piece and make the cut outs for the steelbook and Artbook which are on top of each other, also added a little lip on the side of each of them to help remove them.

The same profile for the headset was used as the small foam holder in the previous update.

Lastly as requested by twisted I have added a numbered plate, though this was the best place to put it and not on the outside.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/4162/masseffectfoaminsertcom.jpg
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4162/masseffectfoaminsertcom.jpg

I decided to make the outer box with a a picture of a planet and a simple logo, the reason for this is that you can use the box as a cardboard canvas print because Mass Effect prints seem to be very popular prints.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6568/masseffectcomplweteoute.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6568/masseffectcomplweteoute.jpg

I had actually done quite a bit of modelling for a military style case instead of a standard cardboard box but decided against it.

I guess that's it, any recommendation or alterations, I don't care how crazy it is. Would like to try and see what it looks like.

Also is anyone willing to write up the e-mail we are going to submit, I don't mind doing it but I'm sure there are better letter writers out there.

Gemini-Phoenix
04-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Wow, I completely lost track of this thread, and didn't see any of these renders!

I would personally not like to see Shepard on the cover, and would rather see something else which doesn't show any characters at all. I think it should be similar to the Mass Effect 2 CE, but could perhaps be a close up of the Normandy SR1 logo on the side of the ship, with space in the background. I like the pic in the middle though

I think the rim of the SteelBook should also be a darker colour, such as a deep blue (The same colour of space)

I also like the hardback artwork book, but not sure whether white is the right colour. I would've made it a deep blue, with a silver coloured embossed Mass Effect logo

I like the idea of a heatset. I like the design very much, but would have tried to make it look more like the Normandy in shape

I agree with the idea of a wooden box to contain all of this. Maybe a metal-looking briefcase to make it look like a piece of cargo or futuristic briefcase from the game world?

MrBubbles
04-29-2011, 08:28 PM
This is awesome man. You should send this idea to them. I love the headset! :beer:

gurpswoo1
05-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Sorry for the late reply, guys

I sadly ended this project because of health issues which unfortunately is still going on, If anyone wants to continue it I can send all the images and even the 3D lines drawings from solidworks.

The Mass effect 3 project was only really a test run to get a lot of hard work out of the way. We never really came to a consensus on what game to do. It just happen to be Mass effect 3 for the test.

I tried to design the head set around Garrus communicator, but it turned into this after I realised the issues with manufacturing that design and the heath and safety issues of the two pointy parts sticking out.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu100/zrowngctr/Mass%20Effect/GarrusHeadset01.jpg